Multiple threads on one subject

Shar2

Yesterday I posted the exact same question about the Korean K9 SPH kit as a new thread in two places on the BM site - once in the Rumourmonger section, and the second time in the AFV Modeling, Modern section.

Although I am the author of nearly 2,000 posts on BM, I have never encountered the rule that it is forbidden. I just didn't know where better to find people willing to answer my question. And I still wouldn't know, because both threads resulted in replies.

But one of the Mods deleted the Rumourmonger thread and some of the replies were lost. Is it possible in such cases (if indeed such duplication of a post is prohibited) to merge the replies from both threads into one?

Cheers

On 26/03/2023 at 16:31, KRK4m said:

But one of the Mods deleted the Rumourmonger thread and some of the replies were lost. Is it possible in such cases (if indeed such duplication of a post is prohibited) to merge the replies from both threads into one?

Cheers

It was deleted as you started another post in the same area as one already, the mods are stretched thin as it is dont expect us to automatically do this.

• 3 months later...

I innocently fell foul of the duplicate post rule recently and had a post deleted.

Yes, I own up to this and admittedly made a mistake. When I queried it with the moderator concerned I learnt that 6 (yes 6) complaints were made! A bit disappointed that not one of the complainants thought to PM me and point out that I had repeated my post on another area to bring it to my attention instead of reporting me under the cloak of anonymity.

I will certainly try to be more careful in future, but guys, cut each other a bit of slack. After all we are only human. I want to be able to use the forum and help others as best I can without the feeling that someone is looking over my shoulder and poised and ready to complain to a moderator.

For those who don't know I mistakenly  duplicated my post about the rise of thefts at model shows. I would have thought that those complainants would have been more interested in not having models and kits nicked at a show than a duplication of and being advised about a rising problem that might very possibly happen to any of them.

Personally I would not even dream about reporting someone else to a moderator unless they were putting up posts that would universally be deemed really generally offensive or abusive to another user.

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter that much if some threads/posts get repeated or not? It really just seems very petty to me that someone would get so annoyed and over sensitive about something so trivial and anonymously  report someone else for just simply making a duplication. 

Problem is when someone complains it has consequences. For example all the responses (many containing useful information) to a duplicated thread that gets taken down get deleted along with it. Very discouraging to the respondents who took time and trouble to place posts on that thread.

So guys, before putting pen to paper (or should I say fingers to keyboard), just take a minute to think about the ramifications of your complaint and think about is it really serious enough to warrant a complaint in the first place?

Thanks.

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I've made the mistake of using search "in this forum" instead of the whole page recently.

Might be something to look out for if someone is making a new thread. Thread I started was already made in Chat for example.

Don't worry about it King Tiger and to be honest, not worth worrying about. This is just a hobby website after all, but unfortunately some individuals get a bit wound up about something as trivial as a post being duplicated. I personally think that complaints of that nature are a bit of a waste of a moderator's time to have to deal with.

We are only human after all, and don't always either have the time or remember to check out the whole website whenever we create a thread.

Edited by Noel Smith

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2024 at 09:19, Noel Smith said:

Don't worry about it King Tiger and to be honest, not worth worrying about. This is just a hobby website after all, but unfortunately some individuals get a bit wound up about something as trivial as a post being duplicated. I personally think that complaints of that nature are a bit of a waste of a moderator's time to have to deal with.

We are only human after all, and don't always either have the time or remember to check out the whole website whenever we create a thread.

They are not a waste of moderators time, in fact they help as we cant be everywhere at once, we have the rule and its there for a reason. 

So for anyone thinking of making a report, its just that a report, we will look at it, this is not the "complaining" you make it out to be. 

• Like 1