Airfix F2A

Canberra Fan

Hi All,

Like many of you I'm sure, Im really looking forward to the Airfix Lightning 2A. My question is that as Airfix haven't mentioned the F6, I assume some work will be required to convert it. I am aware of the guns, but can anyone advice how much more would be required.

Many thanks in advance.

Mal

Hi All,

Like many of you I'm sure, Im really looking forward to the Airfix Lightning 2A. My question is that as Airfix haven't mentioned the F6, I assume some work will be required to convert it. I am aware of the guns, but can anyone advice how much more would be required.

Many thanks in advance.

Mal

It seems that all of the F6 relevant parts, guns cable ducts etc are included in the kit, so to make an F6 you just need to use those parts. Not sure about the belly gun pack, but plenty of F6's flew without these...certainly in the mid - late 1960's and at the end with the LTF.

Set of decals and you're ready to go. There's plenty options on the go around eBay and the such like at the moment so may be worth securing a set before they become popular.

Thanks fellas,

Good news, don't understand why they are marketing it as simply an F2A and not F2A/6!

Mal

Set of decals and you're ready to go. There's plenty options on the go around eBay and the such like at the moment so may be worth securing a set before they become popular.

Col,

Got plenty of decals, just been waiting for a new mold Lightning and if this is up to the standard of Airfix's recent releases I'm not going to be disappointed.

Thanks again.

Mal

• Like 1

I've got every Modeldecal sheet that feature Lightnings, in anticipation of this. In fact I've got two of almost all of them! So bring it on, Airfix! :yahoo:

• Like 4

I've got every Modeldecal sheet that feature Lightnings, in anticipation of this. In fact I've got two of almost all of them! So bring it on, Airfix! :yahoo:

nodnodnod I've got dozens of Lightning decal sheets and I'm not afraid to use them! :lol:

nodnodnod I've got dozens of Lightning decal sheets and I'm not afraid to use them! :lol:

Im another lucky soul that has EVERY single Modeldecal sheet (not just Lightnings!) I also have a goodly collection of sheets by Model Alliance and Xtradecal. In fact I probably have decals for every single scheme and unit that flew the thing!! That is a big responsibility, and a challenge I shall relish!

If it ever arrives....

just like last year with the Type 45, it Looks like I am getting socks again this year.

Why cant Airifx organise themselves for a Xmas boost to business properly ? The release date was always supposed to be November.

Lets hope the slow boat from China's missed them there Typhoons off the coast of Singapore eh?

• Like 1

I have not got every Modeldecal sheet (not quite anyway, I think I have just about everyone that has a British subject on it) , but I will certainly be spoilt for choice.I suspect Xtradecal will be looking again at them. Can see this being a very good seller and I hope it encourages Airfix to look at the F1/3, they could certainly have some good markings for the box art (56 Sqn on either F1a or F3).

I have not got every Modeldecal sheet (not quite anyway, I think I have just about everyone that has a British subject on it) , but I will certainly be spoilt for choice.I suspect Xtradecal will be looking again at them. Can see this being a very good seller and I hope it encourages Airfix to look at the F1/3, they could certainly have some good markings for the box art (56 Sqn on either F1a or F3).

Agreed! But some T Birds would be nice.

Airfix today, at SMW, said it'll be in the shops in 4 weeks. I fondled the sprues and they are honestly much better than I was expecting. I will be having a few of these, I just hope it goes together as well as it looks and they produce the earlier marks too.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Still no pics of the individual sprues!?!?!?

Sorry, I didn't have a camera but I'm sure they will appear soon. Not all the sprues were on show, the front of the belly tank was missing as was the front of the cable ducts so maybe they are on the same sprue? I don't remember seeing the radome but did see the intake duct and back of the radar bullet, all very similar to the 1/48 kit. Undercarriage doors have the shaped interior on the main gear doors. If they are going to do earlier marks they will have to do another fuselage and wing sprue as it isn't broken down to enable the changes required.

Duncan B

Sorry, I didn't have a camera but I'm sure they will appear soon. Not all the sprues were on show, the front of the belly tank was missing as was the front of the cable ducts so maybe they are on the same sprue? I don't remember seeing the radome but did see the intake duct and back of the radar bullet, all very similar to the 1/48 kit. Undercarriage doors have the shaped interior on the main gear doors. If they are going to do earlier marks they will have to do another fuselage and wing sprue as it isn't broken down to enable the changes required.

Duncan B

The radome appeared to have a very fine point.

• Like 1

The radome appeared to have a very fine point.

Did you see the front of the belly tank and the cable ducts? I looked twice but didn't see them, I'm wondering if they will be type specific sprues for the F2A and the F6 kits and not generic sprues as we might have been hoping for. I'm wanting to make F6's with and without the gun packs so some swapping might be required. Looks awesome though, I really hope the fit is good.

Duncan B

So they haven't said anything about doing an F.1 or an F.3?

I said to them that I hoped they would give us the early marks but they said nothing. With the fin being attached and the rear of the belly tank being moulded in situ the aftermarket resin folks might be our best bet? The wing would also need work but I guess a course sand stick and some rescribing would sort that.

Duncan B

Edit: it's still got to be a better starting point than the Trumpeter kit or an old F3 kit for the serious scratcher though.

Here's some snaps of the Lightning F2A sprues I took this afternoon. Sorry for the quality, they were taken using my phone and ended up a little soft focus:

Canopy, Firestreak noses:

IMAG0176_zpse9996184.jpg

Upper wing halves, centre bullet halves, forward tank sections, main undercarriage doors & legs, refuelling probe, pitot and Firestreak fins. I think the short cable conduit ends are below the U/C legs:

IMAG0175_zpseb5f339f.jpg

Right fuselage, intake & reheat section halves, cannon & plain inserts, Firestreak launch rails, radome, closed U/C doors and FOD guard:

IMAG0172_zpsd138a58e.jpg

Lower wings, flaps, cockpit & ejection seat outer halves, tail planes, Firestreaks, airbrakes, arrestor hook:

IMAG0170_zps8bf94521.jpg

Left fuselage, nose gear, fan & turbine faces, main wheels, seat cushions, ventral strakes, jet pipes, coaming, pylons, nose gear doors, aft fairing of tank (with a cut-out for the hook), pilot, rest of the main U/C struts & doors:

IMAG0169_zps7baa80b9.jpg

If this is the complete F2A kit (and I'm fairly sure it is) the F6 kit will have a separate sprue for the Red Tops, long conduits, forward cannon section of the belly tank and maybe the overwing tanks. This means that we can only do the F2A OOB or an early F6 by extending the conduits.

• Like 2

Well, a couple of months between the Harrier GR1 and GR3, with the Lightning F2a coming in December, here's hoping the Lightning F6 is around March time.

Thanks for the pics. She looks fantastic!! Here's hoping they'll do an F.1/F.3 soonest!!

Is the aft end of the tanks different between the F.2A/F.6 and the F.1/F.3??

Yes, that and the tail fin.

I know the *front* end of the belly tank is different, but is the aft end??

Edit: Never mind... the tank is completely different. So Airfix needs to tool a new fuselage for the F.3, or we have to persuade the aftermarket folks to do it.

Edited by Jennings Heilig

Thanks for the pics. She looks fantastic!! Here's hoping they'll do an F.1/F.3 soonest!!

Is the aft end of the tanks different between the F.2A/F.6 and the F.1/F.3??

I went back on Sunday and spoke to the Airfix guys and they say there are no plans to do the early marks, I think we need to start bombarding them with requests now.

Had another look at the sprues and did see the bits I'd missed on the previous visit.

I hope someone comes out with a resin conversion for the belly at least.

Duncan B