Airfix F2A

Canberra Fan

Ill have nothing bad said about the Lightning. Lucky enough to live under the Binbrook flightpath. Suppose she was my first love, I grew up with the sound of Lightnings and so many days spent up at the crashgate. I was heartbroken when they retired.

... it seems a shame (and somewhat ironic) to be contemplating sticking the belly of a 30 + year old kit onto a 21 Century moulding!

Hmmm, didn't someone on BM do that recently? Sounds vaguely familiar...

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, dude.

I watched the episode of Wonders of The Solar System - "The Thin Blue Line" on Sunday for the first time (the one featuring ZU-BEX taking Brian Cox up past 60,000ft from a classic Lightning take-off).

Lets just say its lucky kids and SWMBO were in the room at the time ;)

Please tell us you are referring to the lightning and not Brain Cox ?? :o

• Like 2

Hmmm, didn't someone on BM do that recently? Sounds vaguely familiar...

Cheers,

Bill

Indeed! I'll add that chopping Trumpeter Lightnings up is allowed and should be encouraged. I think you'll like the Airfix one just as it is.

Duncan B

• Like 1

I'm no Lightning expert but will want at least one for the collection.

Is there a definitive list of mk by mk recognition points. To me round fin and small belly tank = early. Cable ducts and Red Top/Firestreak combinations are a dark art. Then there's the F.2A which is a transmogrified F.2 to look like a 6?

Trevor

Trevor:

A simple guide to Lightnings:

F.1 ..... pointy fin, no cable ducts and slotted mainwheels

F.1A.....Pointy fin, cable ducts some had slotted wheel s but mainly ones with holes.

F.2..... much the same as F1A but with provision with extar cannon under the nose.

F2A ..... Modded to F.6 but still with the standard shorter cable ducts and cannon and still only firestreak equipped or four cannon(not always used)

F.3... a bit like the F1A. F.2 but with square top fin. Red top missile capable.

F.6... well, square top fin, wing plan form altered, extended cable ducts, red top or firestreak capable, no cannon initially but later fitted to the forward end of the larger belly tank.

T4.... pointy fin two seater version of F1A

T5.... square top fin.

There are several other points like different vents and scoops dotted around the fuselage and probably internals that we can't see on models!! Other than maybe the slightly different instrument panel from the F.3 on. Lots on the web with serail number batches definingf when the mark numbers changed etc.

The above is just a basic look at the Lightning with the main visible points fo modelling purposes. Hope its of help.

• Like 1

Trevor:

A simple guide to Lightnings:

F.1 ..... pointy fin, no cable ducts and slotted mainwheels

F.1A.....Pointy fin, cable ducts some had slotted wheel s but mainly ones with holes.

F.2..... much the same as F1A but with provision with extar cannon under the nose.

F2A ..... Modded to F.6 but still with the standard shorter cable ducts and cannon and still only firestreak equipped or four cannon(not always used)

F.3... a bit like the F1A. F.2 but with square top fin. Red top missile capable.

F.6... well, square top fin, wing plan form altered, extended cable ducts, red top or firestreak capable, no cannon initially but later fitted to the forward end of the larger belly tank.

T4.... pointy fin two seater version of F1A

T5.... square top fin.

There are several other points like different vents and scoops dotted around the fuselage and probably internals that we can't see on models!! Other than maybe the slightly different instrument panel from the F.3 on. Lots on the web with serail number batches definingf when the mark numbers changed etc.

The above is just a basic look at the Lightning with the main visible points fo modelling purposes. Hope its of help.

Additionally, the Slotted wheels on the F1 and F1a mostly disappeared, to be replaced with the 'eight holed' version, very quickly....this pic is dated as 1962.....

xm141tw.jpg

The F2 differed slightly by having a small intake fitted on the upper mid-spine. This featured on all subsequent marks.

The F3 had extended cable ducts and was the first Lightning without fixed armament.

Don't forget the F3A (Interim F6). Virtually identical to the F6, but no provision for overwing tanks. All were upgraded to full F6 standard eventually.

As Paul says there were minor differences regarding NACA ducts and intake scoops etc.,

Gents,

Has anyone fot a good picture or diagram of the F1/2 Gun pack,?

I'm looking for the one that could replace the rocket pack in the front fuselage and the guns fired through ports under the intake, not the later front of the ventral tank type pack used on the F6.

Selwyn

Gents,

Has anyone fot a good picture or diagram of the F1/2 Gun pack,?

I'm looking for the one that could replace the rocket pack in the front fuselage and the guns fired through ports under the intake, not the later front of the ventral tank type pack used on the F6.

Selwyn

This shows the gun port on an F2, note that Firestreaks are also carried....xn790dm.jpg

More relevant to the Airfix kit, here's XN793 showing signs of having fired both sets.....minus the Firestreaks

XN793A_Westersoetebier_0372.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 3