Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVI 1/72 Sword

Hi folks,

this is no.30 in my Spitfire collection and second Sword kit I built. I'm quite happy with their Mk.IX/XVI kits, although the fit is not perfect at places, especially around the wing root and bottom fuselage. But the shapes and sharp details are fine for my eyes.

This is 421.squadron machine flown by P/O McIntosh in early 1945, the photographs can be found for instance in 2nd TAF book part 3, by Shores & Thomas.

Cheers

Libor

MkXVI_01_zpsa1bf0def.jpg

MkXVI_05_zps088f1094.jpg

MkXVI_04_zps0da5a6f2.jpg

MkXVI_03_zpsf98d93d9.jpg

MkXVI_02_zps4089ac2d.jpg

• Like 35

A simply super Spitfire Libor, but I have to ask, what is the story behind the odd sized upper wing roundels. I can't believe it was not meant to be so.... what gives? ;)

Steve.

Stunning model Libor!

Steve,

I think its the same size roundel, just further away!

Rick.

Stunning model Libor!

Steve,

I think its the same size roundel, just further away!

Rick.

Clearly not if you look closer to the relative proportions and relative distances from the ailerons

Edited by occa
  • Like 1

Nice one! The Sword kit may have some fit issues, but I have built the Spit XVI's by Heller and by Matchbox, and the Sword kit looks a million times better!

Thanks chaps:-) I see I hit the nail with that marking!

Well, actually I have no story behind those roundels, here is the quotation of the TB634 photo-caption taken from the 2.TAF book:

"It was not unusual to see 2.TAF fighters in 1945 with upper wing roundels mismatched, as in this case, with a large one on the port wing and a small (underwing size) example on the starboard wing".

Cheers

Libor

Very nice Libor, looks a good kit and very well finished. Got one in the stash and I am glad to see it can be made into such a nice model.

• 2 years later...

What a masterpiece!

I am currently working on the same kit - 1/72 Sword Spitfire XVIe - and encountered serious fit issues around the inner wing edges, just as you mentioned.

It's an outstanding result you have achieved, I hope mine turns out half as good ....

I will also do the AU-S markings, but got confused over the roundel size.

Shouldn't it be either small or big roundels?

At least that's how I understood Sword's instructions, but I'm no expert on 2 TAF.