HMS Ark Royal Phantoms

MarkVX

Thanks i thought they looked different from watching videos. Did any RAF sqn's operate the F-4G?

Mark the G version is the Weasel Version and very different from the rest of the (Hasegawa 1/48 Phantom kits, cockpit wise) Ie the Ballast (sorry rear seater) has no forward view) and unlike any other phantom cockpits. see 00:16 seconds in to the video below.

The Weasel were used in Iraq, so there a build option if you need one,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FujKSEJLuY0

Edited by zero

One thing I've wondered myself is how Ark Royal was able to launch USN Phantoms, lacking the Spey engines and the elevating nosewheel. I know she did some crossdecking with American Phantoms.

Hello Gents

Giorgio N, The honest answer is I'm not sure, they use to regularly take- off with tanks and various loads, we also use to launch a Buccaneer tanker most launch cycles (809 had 3 Bucc's configured as tankers).

Procopius, US F-4 used the same bridal (the wire strop hooked up to the a/c) and shuttle (the cat attachment point) as we did. US Phantoms also had a extending nose oleo but only 1 extension not 2 as per our Phantoms. The P&W engines had plenty of grunt, they were just very smokey compared to the RR Spays.

RR

In the Double Ugly British Phantoms volume 1, there's a photo of a RAF FG1 with the tail paint peeling to show the red of 892's fin marking.

Thanks Procopius. I've been looking for a decent Phantom book.

Cheers,

Tom.

Thanks Procopius. I've been looking for a decent Phantom book.

Cheers,

Tom.

It's one of my favorite aviation reference books; I think Part 2 is supposed to come out at Telford(?) and I can't wait.

• Like 1

I can confirm that a Spey in reheat goes beyond noise and it becomes purely pressure waves pounding your chest. I worked on the engine test bed at Leuchars for a while and remember adjusting the rams that controlled the position of the exhaust nozzle. Big blue flame less than 6 ft away while I'm twiddling a stop with a spanner feeling like I'm being pummelled. The temptation to stick the end of the spanner into the exhaust was hard to resist but luckily a grumpy old Sgt (Bill Feast where are you now?) was always watching and making sure his stupid JT didn't do it.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Just to confuse the issue a bit, the US Navy did operate a squadron of F-4Gs off a carrier during the Vietnam war!

Well ... sort of. The original F-4G designation was given to a small batch of F-4Bs that were fitted with a data link. They were otherwise the same as ordinary USN Phantoms and were converted back to bog standard when the trials were ended. They had nothing to do with the "real" F-4G that the USAF developed after the Vietnam War. Don't confuse the poor lad more than he needs to be!

hey roof rat great links,i remember watching 'sailor' as a kid as my dad was on 824nas and i was always looking to spot him, i liked it in the 1st link when wings/flyco were discussing the buccaneers landings, no stress just sense, conversely i was starting to sweat for the guy!

I can confirm that a Spey in reheat goes beyond noise and it becomes purely pressure waves pounding your chest. I worked on the engine test bed at Leuchars for a while and remember adjusting the rams that controlled the position of the exhaust nozzle. Big blue flame less than 6 ft away while I'm twiddling a stop with a spanner feeling like I'm being pummelled. The temptation to stick the end of the spanner into the exhaust was hard to resist but luckily a grumpy old Sgt (Bill Feast where are you now?) was always watching and making sure his stupid JT didn't do it.

Duncan B

That reminds me of the night at Edwards AFB that I was in the crew truck back just behind the left wing of XT-595 reporting the status of nozzle operation during afterburner checks to the telemetry room and the ground run operator. At one point, the afterburner blew out, which resulted initially in a very large, translucent blue ball just aft of the nozzle, followed by an enormous bang.

YF-4KJul67.jpg

(I'm kneeling by the sign in the white chinos; the pilots are Bud Murray on the left and Jimmy Jackson from Rolls Royce on the right.)

• Like 3

Mark, I can't see any references on this thread on this but the RAF also operated a number (15?) of ex US Navy F4Js as 'F4J-UK' variants between 1984 and 1991, 74 Sqn RAF was the unit so equipped.

I did see that 74 Sqn operated the J phantom so i've ordered a decal pack from hannants. It might not be 100% correct but i only have my models displayed at home and no-one knows any different

I've seen that first vid many times and is excellent viewing. The particularly scary bit is at about 8:20 when he's on his last 'chance' and it shows how difficult it really is. The camera's view is stationary relative to the ship and is therefore 'still' but the Bucc is up and down which looks dangerous. But the Bucc is actually steady and the ship's motion makes the whole thing surreal.

Excellent.