AZ 1/72nd Bell AH-1G Huey Cobra

czechnavy

Just in the process of finishing one. I'll post images when I get it done. It is a competent kit. You cannot build a very early Cobra from it, as it doesn't have the clear nose piece for the landing lights or the round landing skid legs (that's easily fixed with a sanding stick, though), but it does give you a choice of left side or right side tail rotors. The kit contains all the parts necessary to build a 'late' -1G Cobra as well as the earlier ones (after the change of the landing light location). Fit is pretty good, except for the thickness of the canopy piece, and that may have been down to me. I added collectives for both cockpits, seatbelts, and the gunsight/combiner glass for the pilot. I also rebuilt the gunner's weapon control, but that's because I'm a terminal sufferer of AMS. Decals are very good, if just a slight little bit thick. As is usual with a lot of Eastern European manufacturers, you'd better put them very close to where you want them to do, cause they're gonna want to stay where you put them. They were plenty strong enough to withstand my attempts to move them about. The weapons that are included in the kit (two minigun pods and rocket pods were less impressive. The SUU-11A gun pods reminded me very much of the ones that came in the Matchbox kit years ago. Shape is right, but no detail at all. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aren't the firewatch Cobras flat-pane canopy -S models? At least that is the one depicted on the Draw Decals sheet.

They say a Fujimi is the best kit for their sheet (I have it). Specifically the the earlier kit -S, not the later Step III -S one.

Cheers!

Aren't the firewatch Cobras flat-pane canopy -S models? At least that is the one depicted on the Draw Decals sheet.

They say a Fujimi is the best kit for their sheet (I have it). Specifically the the earlier kit -S, not the later Step III -S one.

The Fujimi AH-1S kit is pretty much rubbish - better to go with the Hobby Boss AH-1F kit.

Yep, it surely is. my mistake on that one. I remembered the decals but not specifically what version of Cobra it was. It is definitely a flat-panel Cobra. Your best choice for now is probably the Hobbyboss kit. I think MPM/Special Hobby are planning a late Cobra in their new releases. Sorry for the confusion.

Steve

• 8 months later...

The original Fujimi AH-1S (not the current Step III kit) has the correct exhaust for the Firewatch Cobras.

That's why the decal instructions suggest using it. If you use the Hobbyboss you will need to modify it.

In any case I don't know how easy it is to find that kit now... :shrug:

Edited by Panoz

What we're seeing is a comparison of two kits. One of them (or maybe both) is off. However, until they're measured and compared to credible plans (not overlaid, mind you, but measured and compared to the figures contained in said credible plans), I'll reserve my judgement. I have the AZ, the Special Hobby one is on the way, and I have Mike Verier's excellent book.

And if the SH one is wrong, I may just decide that I can live with it...

• Like 1

What we're seeing is a comparison of two kits. One of them (or maybe both) is off. However, until they're measured and compared to credible plans (not overlaid, mind you, but measured and compared to the figures contained in said credible plans), I'll reserve my judgement. I have the AZ, the Special Hobby one is on the way, and I have Mike Verier's excellent book.

And if the SH one is wrong, I may just decide that I can live with it...

Here here!

Wez

However, until they're measured and compared to credible plans (not overlaid, mind you, but measured and compared to the figures contained in said credible plans),

And which ones would be those? :hmmm: Not trying to start an argument just asking so that I can get them and check myself.

In any case the Special Hobby tail looks wider than Kim Kardashian's... :lol:

I don't have a set of plans I consider credible. I have some three-view drawings and that's it.

As you said the tail looks wide. It may be wrong, or it may be prototypical. Or one tail may be wide, and one may be too slim... There are many options, I'm just asking that we keep an open mind while the issue get settled...

• Like 1

I don't have a set of plans I consider credible. I have some three-view drawings and that's it.

As you said the tail looks wide. It may be wrong, or it may be prototypical. Or one tail may be wide, and one may be too slim... There are many options, I'm just asking that we keep an open mind while the issue get settled...

No one came to any conclusions. We"ll just wait for the experts opinion.

It's however surprising how two modern kits (both released in 2014) would have such great differences in dimensions.

Mind you we are not talking 1968 Monogram versus 1973 Matchbox here... :rolleyes:

Edited by Panoz

Coming back to this thread I am surprised that I can't find a review of AZ Model's kit anywhere.

There is only some vague mention of it in the review of the SH AH-1G in this (admittedly not terribly reliable) site:

http://www.scale-rotors.com/kit/artikel.php?id=8971

Honestly, I don't have a Monogram, Matchbox or Plastyk kit here at hand for direct comparison. I also don't have scale drawings to put the fuselage on. But it is more than obvious that this kit outmatches its old predecessors clearly at least as far as production standards are concerned.

I would even go further and say that the recent AZModel kit is no real competitor for Special Hobby/MPM. No matter what, AZModel wanted to be earlier wit their release as sonn as they heard about MPMs intentions. What came out was more or less a snapshot Cobra party based on Hasegawas AH-1S with lots of issues.

Of course there is no review of the AZ kit neither are we told what exactly those issues are. :hmmm:

Why are they top secret or something? :huh:

On the other hand CzechKits.com seems to be acting as a shill for AZ models since he posted the same gallery in 72nd Scale Aircraft forum

without any really meaningful comments or further posts discussing his findings.

To sum up; Draw your own confusions.

It's so confusing (As Amanda Lear would say... :lol: )

If any member has both kits can he go into the trouble to compare them. I am waiting for a reliable answer. TIA

Edited by Panoz

Can anyone tell me which two kits are being compared here? Just curious... and rather surprised that there are comparison photos with no explanation of what is being compared with what.

Grey SH, orange AZ.

These are not my photos, just posted a direct link.

Dear friends,

I saw those photos.

Yes, I have to be a diplomat, but gray molding is a very bad shape and cut out a lot of reality. Some modelers for us to say that SH will make the correction set with a new fuselage.

Panoz writes that not be a review for AZmodel AH-1G.

Here you can provide a link to three of them.

I hope you find useful.

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/2013/06/25/172-ah-1g-cobra-az-model/

http://modelweb.modelforum.cz/2013/09/04/172-ath-1g-cobra-az-model/?lang=CS

http://www.modelarovo.cz/ah-1g-late-cobra-azmodel-172/

• 5 months later...

Anything new on this subject? Which one is simply better - AZ or SH/MPM ? I'm not a rivet-counter, but I'd like to have a Cobra that looks like a Cobra. Is anybody able to put the light on it? Which kit should one buy?

• Like 1

I have the AZ kit, not built unfortunately, but in my eyes it looks good. Only disappointment is lack of Collective sticks in both cockpits, and instructions would have you mount the cyclic stick for the rear cockpit backwards...

I have never flown a Cobra, so I am not sure of the accuracy, but to me the kit is a little gem. Now if they would only do a T model...

Anything new on this subject? Which one is simply better - AZ or SH/MPM ? I'm not a rivet-counter, but I'd like to have a Cobra that looks like a Cobra. Is anybody able to put the light on it? Which kit should one buy?

Get the Brengun resin intakes to correct the ones on the SH/MPM kit and be happy with the additional options those kits offer over the AZ.