Blenheim hatch in front of turret

woody37

Hi, can anyone shed any light on whether the hatch had a window in ? I know the restored one did, but don't know whether this was a standard fitment or a mod. None of the kits include a clear part. Any info appreciated :) I'm building a mk I and Iv incase it was something added later in the series

Cheers, Neil

Hiya Neil,

Me again,......I`ve attached a few more Blenheim pics here from my photo collection which may be of interest;

2235973931_d46a5dd49d_o_zps00ebdf49.jpg

BlenheimNFTOT_zps264a185d.jpg

And some taken at Duxford;

Mk.I nose;

38_zpsfc95bb8c.jpg

Mk.IV;

42_zps71b59bfb.jpg

46_zps84902a02.jpg

48_zps509c3540.jpg

50_zps0a836374.jpg

52_zps3628f708.jpg

I hope these help,

All the best

Tony O

Tony O interesting pictures. About picture where turret is show, are the all components in place? It looks roomier than I though. BL-200 is missing almost all parts from that area.

Hello Vesa,

I`m sorry I don`t know for sure but I agree with you that it looks roomier than I would have expected. Quite a few gunners were trapped when the cupola was retracted downwards, either while firing upwards or more usually when the aircraft overturned during a crash landing, so I think that the equipment for moving the turret cupola upwards and downwards has not been re fitted?

Cheers

Tony O

I wonder if BL-200 doesn't have a non standard gunners hatch (like the restored example). None of the pictures I have seen seem to show a window.

Bristol-Blenheim-MkI-FAF-LeLv42-night-ca

Bristol-Blenheim-MkI-RAF-107Sqn-OM-W-cra

Of course being a hatch it does have the annoying habit of being open in the majority of decent photos taken on the ground.....

Yes modification is possible in BL-200 case. Blenheims were made mostly based on UK drawings at VL, so most likely the hatch should be same. When I next time visit in Finland I can take a look to technical log books of BL-200 if there is anything about modifications. Post war modifications were related to areal/mapping photographing and target tug usage.

Thanks guys, some great pictures. From what I can see, the likely hood is that period hatches never had windows, but restored examples seem to have them. I'm suspecting that they become available still some point in production. Not having to cut windows out would be nice !!

Hiya Neil,

The hatches with windows were probably introduced in Canada on the Bolingbroke and this is where the majority of modern day `Blenheim' parts come from,.....Finland excepted!

Cheers

Tony O

I would not treat a Finnish-built Blenheim as typical of those built in the UK, there were numerous differences including small side windows in the region above the bomb bay.

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

When you are looking pictures of FAF Blenheims it's good to remember that only part of those were made in Finland.

BL-104 to BL-121 UK made variant Mk I

BL-122 to BL 133 UK made variant Mk IV

BL-134 to BL-145 UK made variant Mk I

BL-146 to BL-160 FI made variant Mk.I

BL-161 to BL-190 FI made variant Mk.I

BL-196 to BL-205 FI made variant Mk.IV

Being darn Larndan today, I popped into hendon as it would be rude not to. Got plenty of pics of the Blenheim whilst there. I know this was a Bolingbroke in its real life, but the hatch doesn't have any windows. Great day digesting and getting inspiration from some fantastic and rear aircraft :)

When you are looking pictures of FAF Blenheims it's good to remember that only part of those were made in Finland.

BL-104 to BL-121 UK made variant Mk I

BL-122 to BL 133 UK made variant Mk IV

BL-134 to BL-145 UK made variant Mk I

BL-146 to BL-160 FI made variant Mk.I

BL-161 to BL-190 FI made variant Mk.I

BL-196 to BL-205 FI made variant Mk.IV

After browsing several Finnish books related to Blenheims it seems that Finnish-built planes had side and roof-hatch windows since new.

Cheers,

AaCee