Su-15 kit comparison ?

IanHx

How does the A-model 1:72 Su-15TM compare with the old NPO VES kit ?

( for someone used to Italeri / Revell the VES kit was a nasty shock - soft plastic, giant sprues, bits that didn't fit .....

finished article now sitting on the 'shelves of shame' :S )

I own all three 1/72 Su-15TM kits (VES, Amodel, and *belch* Trumpeter). I also own all the plans that are usually quoted as being "most accurate". My intention is - someday - to sit down and do a detailed side-by-side comparison of the three kits to really, once and for all, see which one is best.

I think Flankerman has stated that the Amodel kit isn't quite as accurate as VES, but certainly less fiddly. The VES kit is one of those Russian kits where the parts are literally crammed onto tiny little sprues, covered with flash, and things like the fuselage are broken down into way too many parts.

• Like 1

Your reaction to the Trumpeter kit has me worried now Jennings as I've their 48th scale kit in the stash and didn't think it looked too bad.

I agree with Jennings - the VES kit is the most accurate - but is overly engineered and covered in rivets (like their Su-24 kit)

So for accuracy - but a difficult build - go with VES.

For a reasonably accurate kit, but with typical ill-fitting and flash issues, go with Amodel.....

For ease of build - but questionable accuracy - go with Trumpeter.....

Caveat Emptor....

Ken

Your reaction to the Trumpeter kit has me worried now Jennings as I've their 48th scale kit in the stash and didn't think it looked too bad.

The Trumpeter Su-15s are beyond horrible. They weren't done by Trumpeter's A-team, nor even the B-team. They were done by the F-team (F for "fail").

I think it's fair to say that not one single aspect of theTM kit is accurate. The Flagon-A is more accurate. My findings are at www.jonbryon.com/su15tm.html.

Jon

The Trumpeter Su-15s are beyond horrible. They weren't done by Trumpeter's A-team, nor even the B-team. They were done by the F-team (F for "fail").

Oh, do not be too harsh. Some of the parts of the Trumpy can be used for something.... not a Su-15 model... but something else. The runners on the sprues are nice too :fight: Can be used for stretching etc....

Although it is very strange how Trumpeter guys could screw up SO badly on a kit....and then even downscaled it to 1/72. But they did indeed.

For some reason the direct url doesn't work, but if you go to his homepage, you can access it through there.

I did the same but Jason has a direct link posted now that works. Makes for a depressing if you thought the Trumpeter kit was going to be a nice simple build.

When I first saw the Flagon A version I seized it as it was one I had always wanted but when I started it became obvious that there was something wrong with the overall shape. After much comparing of plans and measuring I came to the conclusion that sizewise it was OK laterally but far too long. I surmised that the plans had been produced using a CAD system and at some stage the drawings had to be changed in size and the person doing so used the wrong 'handle' on the drawing, changing only the length instead of both dimensions. Taking a picture of the assembled model and shrinking lengthwise seemed to bring everything back into proportion.

John

Yep I've got both the Amodel and VES kits and I'd say that the VES is the more accurate even though it's overly complex to build, ( though no worse than the Streem Fencer though). It is covered with fine rivets and over engineered but does look very nice when built up..it's my favourite Flagon to be sure.................I'm not a fan of the Trumpy efforts either.

Article:

"Su-15ТМ from "VES" and "Amodel" - a choice for you"

http://www.rumodelism.com/wiki/doku.php/review/obz003

Summary:
In an finish it is possible to tell that, undoubtedly, it is the worthy model which is quite competitive with the VES model, though the last, in my opinion, nevertheless more exact. In assembly it seems simpler though certainly, all details should be subjected to preliminary processing and to lick into shape. After all short-run, and in the instruction the producer honestly warns that "only for skilled modellers", but in my opinion, quite on forces and "mediocre" modellers.

Other opinion:

"In the box review of Su-15, Amodel"

http://www.rumodelism.com/wiki/doku.php/review/obz038

In the 2000th year there was a whale of Su-15TM from VES, but it was the model not for the faint-hearted (I won't picture its charm — wishing can read reviews links on which are below).

Conclusion

It is the Su-15TM model best for today in the 72nd scale. It won't suit beginners, but here the modeller with an experience will be able quite to collect the copy of the deserved car from this whale

B.R.

Serge

• 1 month later...