Airfix Hurricane IVRP - finished

Hello All,

I couldn't quite get into the Wyvern build yet, and I realised it's because it's not obsolete enough. The kit is just too good.

So here's the Airfix Hurricane IV RP, first released in 1957 - older than me (just). And I think there has at least one better Hurricane kit since then...

I have fond memories of building this one sometime in the 1960s. I got very upset because I lost the pilot somewhere in the garden, so my dad found me another one from his stash.The replacement pilot was my first encounter with a Frog "scuba diver", and I thought it looked a bit weird even then!

So here's a classic blast from the past:

Hurricane_bag_zps855b617f.jpg

I bought the baggie from Kingkit, and the kit arrived without a canopy or pilot. I mentioned this to them and they sent me a complete new blister kit. Great customer service - thanks!

I'm keeping the bagged kit intact so I will be sourcing my own pilot (again!) and canopy for this build.

I've given the wings a shot of white primer to act as a base for the yellow leading edges, and I've made myself a balsa master to vac-form a new canopy (it fits better than it looks):

Hurricane_canopy_master_zpsa6a8f8ff.jpg

I pulled two copies and both of them were fine. I used the kitchen gas stove to heat the plastic instead of my paint stripper heat gun, and got two for two. So maybe the stove works better as a heat source:

Hurricane_canopy_zps33926e67.jpg

The pilot (this is a wheels up build) is from the excellent Revell RAF personnel set:

Hurricane_pilot_zps3fbfc537.jpg

I could have cleaned up the hands better but I didn't want to drift into AMS for this build (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...).

So I'm almost ready for paint. Sum total of mods to the kit:
* New pilot
* Vac canopy
* Blanking plate for radiator
* Air intake from cut down sprue

It will be a "looks more like a Hurricane than anything else" build.

Strangely enough the undercarriage doors (which look nothing like Hurricane doors) fit very precisely into the undercarriage recesses (which also look nothing like Hurricane recesses). I wish some other kits could do the same!

I can feel my inner tensions relaxing - I can get back to the Wyvern after this.

Thanks for looking,
Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 2

Cracking work already Adrian. Although the overall shape is a little soft the fabric effect seems quite restrained on this one. Got to love a Hurricane full of rockets as well.

Apart from the lack of interior detailing, a feature of the time, I think this was one of the nicest Hurricane kits going back then!! I loved it having built several when a lot younger touching 50 years ago!!!

This brings back some incredibly strong memories. This was the first model I did all by myself, sometime around 1969/70.

This is the first kit I really remember. I'm going to try to keep it simple and quick. My brother and I also did the Mustang, Airacobra and Thunderbolt around this time, and all except the Airacobra are still pretty fair kits.

Cracking work already Adrian. Although the overall shape is a little soft the fabric effect seems quite restrained on this one. Got to love a Hurricane full of rockets as well.

Yeah, why should Typhoons have all the fun?

Your pilot from the 60's is no doubt still burried in your old garden .Worth going around with a spade and sieve . I'm sure if there are new owners they will undestand as he cant be left to be M.I.A

When we did the garden of my previous house, my wife dug up a tiny plastic part . When I identified it pretty much instantly as an Airfix Fw190D undercarriage door, she looked distinctly worried!

Apart from the lack of interior detailing, a feature of the time, I think this was one of the nicest Hurricane kits going back then!! I loved it having built several when a lot younger touching 50 years ago!!!

It falls together easily and I think it's slightly better than the contemporaneous Revell kit.

Thanks all,

Adrian

Hello All,

I couldn't quite get into the Wyvern build yet, and I realised it's because it's not obsolete enough. The kit is just too good.

So here's the Airfix Hurricane IV RP, first released in 1957 - older than me (just). And I think there has at least one better Hurricane kit since then...

I have fond memories of building this one sometime in the 1960s. I got very upset because I lost the pilot somewhere in the garden, so my dad found me another one from his stash.The replacement pilot was my first encounter with a Frog "scuba diver", and I thought it looked a bit weird even then!

So here's a classic blast from the past:

Hurricane_bag_zps855b617f.jpg

I bought the baggie from Kingkit, and the kit arrived without a canopy or pilot. I mentioned this to them and they sent me a complete new blister kit. Great customer service - thanks!

I'm keeping the bagged kit intact so I will be sourcing my own pilot (again!) and canopy for this build.

I've given the wings a shot of white primer to act as a base for the yellow leading edges, and I've made myself a balsa master to vac-form a new canopy (it fits better than it looks):

Hurricane_canopy_master_zpsa6a8f8ff.jpg

I pulled two copies and both of them were fine. I used the kitchen gas stove to heat the plastic instead of my paint stripper heat gun, and got two for two. So maybe the stove works better as a heat source:

Hurricane_canopy_zps33926e67.jpg

The pilot (this is a wheels up build) is from the excellent Revell RAF personnel set:

Hurricane_pilot_zps3fbfc537.jpg

I could have cleaned up the hands better but I didn't want to drift into AMS for this build (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...).

So I'm almost ready for paint. Sum total of mods to the kit:

* New pilot

* Vac canopy

* Blanking plate for radiator

* Air intake from cut down sprue

It will be a "looks more like a Hurricane than anything else" build.

Strangely enough the undercarriage doors (which look nothing like Hurricane doors) fit very precisely into the undercarriage recesses (which also look nothing like Hurricane recesses). I wish some other kits could do the same!

I can feel my inner tensions relaxing - I can get back to the Wyvern after this.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Try the undercarriage doors on the Frog Hurricane IIC - I did one not so long ago! Serious hacking of plastic needed!! Not fun at all, though the rest of the kit was a relatively stress free and nostalgic build!!

Never built this kit but have had a crack at the 1970s Mk I several times - still one of my very favourite kits, despite its faults!! :)

Here's the first coat of paint (well, the underside is done too). I used some old, old "JP" acrylic to do the rear fuselage band for speed because it covers in one go, unlike Hu 90 enamel, which seems to need three or more coats (which would add three days to the build time).

IMG_4053_zpsec189644.jpg

I note that the spinner is much more rounded than the excellent pointy one shown in the header artwork.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

I note that the spinner is much more rounded than the excellent pointy one shown in the header artwork.

Touch of false advertising there :lol: You're certainly making quick work of this one and it's great to see a model on the stand provided in the kit - ah the 'good' old days when there was a pilot and a stand included.

Coming along a treat,I had a look today at this kit as my son has it in a dog fight double,it seems to be a very tired mould so more power

to you with what you are achieving!

I've finished the main scheme painting.

image_zpsebc50097.jpg

Canopy frames, details, rockets and weathering to go. I will try the kit decals to see how fried they are, and if they are too bad I will replace them.

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

It's a tad late but it's all done!

I couldn't resist firing a rocket or two. It seems that the kitchen (halogen lighting) is much better for photography than my dim dining room.

IMG_4068_zps191d069e.jpg

I will try to get some better pictures tomorrow. I want one that matches the header card artwork and one with the propeller spinning.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

How did the old decals go OM?

Rick.

Not so good. I used the serial number, the fin flashes, cut down to exact size, and the underwing roundels, which were far too large. The squadron codes had white showing at the edge of every letter, and the upper wing roundels had white crescents showing and a messy red/blue border. So I went with Xtradecal codes and roundels.

I made some masks so I could have Sky squadron codes but I wasn't happy with them and scrubbed them off. The kit codes were grey too, so it's in the spirit of the original even if not accurate. My other kit has white codes, which would have solved the white border problem!

Thanks,

Adrian

The only ones that don't work for me are Novo. Airfix decals of a certain age are always misaligned, whereas Frog ones from the same era are just about perfect. Airfix decal alignment used to bug me even when I was a kid.

Regards,

Adrian