1/48 Hasegawa P-40K, 64th FS

Brewer

Hey guys!

Next up on the bench for me is Hasegawa's P-40K in the markings of the plane on the box art, but with more accurate decals from Roy at Barracuda Studios.

Obligatory kit/aftermarket pic:

10345100743_b767930642_o.jpg

I've started out by attaching the modular fuselage parts, eliminating seams, and rescribing panel lines. I'm not a fan of Hasegawa's poorly engineered modular fuselages. If you assemble the model following the instructions, you end up with large steps for ALL of the modular parts. Doing it this way I have gaps to fill along the centerline of the fuselage, but gaps are easier to fix than steps.

10344978744_f7d22f98d9_o.jpg

Still needs some MrSurfacer around the inserts in front of and behind the exhaust holes, but it's getting there. I wanted to sort out the fuselage halves first thing, next I'll be moving on to the cockpit :)

Edited by Brewer
  • Like 5

I love the methodical way in which you approach your builds and the photography is excellent. I've a few of these Hasegawa P40's in the stash and as you say the modular approach is not without it's issues, though with skill they do turn out to be fine models.

Gotta say my favorite of yours was the IL-2, the paintwork on that was lovely!

Will watch this build here and on facebook with interest :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ah, finally making some more progress. Fuselage inserts, seams, and gaps are taken care of and the radiator intake and cockpit are installed. Now to attach the wing!

The seamless intake from Department Of Correction is an excellent piece, but difficult to photograph

11208949954_13a73267f0_b.jpg

11208943715_cae1f16511_b.jpg

In these photos it is not yet glued in place. Alignment is perfect when held in place with pressure for glueing.

11209068453_6de7aa6d90_b.jpg

Cockpit installed, areas behind the cockpit painted.

11209068823_2383cf1860_b.jpg

Gaps are filled with CA, which is why they still look unfilled

11208966226_4a85bca724_b.jpg

11208950194_9f74c14cc5_b.jpg

11208950104_6ceec3bf37_b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks! As for the rear windows, I guess it depends on how well they fit. I sanded down some of the raised detail in the rear areas that interfered with the clear parts. Typically I use white glue for windscreens and other clear parts, but if I end up with a step as I've seen others have, I'll probably try a different method.

The panels behind the cockpit were originally painted OD. Sometimes they were repainted exterior color, but most of the reference photos I have show OD

10345100743_b767930642_o.jpg

10344978744_f7d22f98d9_o.jpg

Thati s the approach I learned and works best for me too.

The seamless intake from Department Of Correction is an excellent piece, but difficult to photograph

11208949954_13a73267f0_b.jpg

Where would I find this piece? Department of Correction is a company? With three Haseagawa kits still in the stash (including another P-40K) I may want some to save time! By the way, PART of Poland has some excellent (if not insane) PE sets for the Hasegawa Hawks which include inserts to tone down the boiler rivets behind the cockpit.

As others have stated, sharp photography on a subject I like with many (sharkmouth) schemes I love.

Regards,

Department Of Correction is a relatively new company from Poland. I received this set as a review sample.

You can order one (or three) here: http://www.ww-model.pl/index.php?p8908,d-o-c-48002-1-48-p-40-warhawk-kittyhawk-seamless-air-intake

As far as I know, that's the only place you can order their products at the moment. The casting is perfect, the intake is pretty much drop-fit, zero complaints!

They make a few other products, their spinners/props are especially nice. I can't wait to use their spinner for the Eduard Spitfire IX

• Like 1

Department Of Correction is a relatively new company from Poland. I received this set as a review sample.

You can order one (or three) here: http://www.ww-model.pl/index.php?p8908,d-o-c-48002-1-48-p-40-warhawk-kittyhawk-seamless-air-intake

Their site is only in Polish. Luckily, I am fluent but they only have two of those seamless intakes in stock and I just registered. Who knows if I will complete the process before the cart gets emptied or someone else snatches them.

Thanks again!

Google Chrome automatically translates the site to English well enough to at least navigate and place an order.

Good luck getting a few! They will be restocking soon, and more products are coming as well

• Like 1

Google Chrome automatically translates the site to English well enough to at least navigate and place an order.

Good luck getting a few! They will be restocking soon, and more products are coming as well

As I wrote, I am fluent in Polish so I did not have a problem until registration (waiting for the verification). Using PayPal also allows one to pay them in Polish Zlotys. No notification in my inbox or junk mail folders makes me wonder if someone verifies this manually which means the time is now 20:39 in Poland and the workers may be home.

By the way, many office networks do not allow browser installations and the one I am in doesn't even allow translation sites!

Regards,

I was just pointing out the translation feature for other users reading this who may not be fluent in Polish ;)

My only issue with that is that they may sneak the resin from my cart as I wait!

:shutup::fight::police::bobby:

Seriously, thanks for the pointer. If out of stock, I can give them a ring and order.

Regards,