1/350 R-Class or Cold War UK SSNs?

Procopius

Does anyone make any Royal Navy cold war subs in 1/350 besides Airfix's Trafalgar, Bronco's V-class, and Hobbyboss's Astute? I'm assuming not in plastic, but resin, perhaps?

• Like 1

Nope. There is an old Pit Road T-Class if you can find it. I did hear rumo0urs of someone releasing a resin Courageous or similar, but haven't seen anything yet.

Resin Shipyard in Canada do the Canadian Oberon class and have an Upholder slass in development.

http://www.resinshipyard.com/pages/catalog.html

OKB Grigorov do them in 1/700 (R class, O class, Trafalgar, Churchill, Upholder & Vanguard), you could try asking if they will do some in 1/350th as they have done with some of their other subs.

http://www.okbgrigorov.com/

G

We've got reviews of the Churchill, O boat and Vanguard from OKB Grigorov in the maritime review section if you want to get an idea of what you get in the kits.

I've asked OKB Grigorov to do a 1/350 of their Churchill class, but never got a response. If I could find some plans I'd have a go at scratchbuilding, but nothing doing.

I'd love to see some of the WWII british subs, but I guess there are too many variations and it's a bit niche.

A

• 7 months later...

having been modelling submarines for a number of years, its just a question of time, there are more available now than there ever was, the likes of mikro-mir are beginning to fill the gaps, okb are great for 1/700 but their output of subs seems to have stalled. Sadly Airfix doesn't seem interested, being a british company you would have thought otherwise. Especially a HMS conqueror would be most welcome considering their falklands task force set.

Chris

having been modelling submarines for a number of years, its just a question of time, there are more available now than there ever was, the likes of mikro-mir are beginning to fill the gaps, okb are great for 1/700 but their output of subs seems to have stalled. Sadly Airfix doesn't seem interested, being a british company you would have thought otherwise. Especially a HMS conqueror would be most welcome considering their falklands task force set.

Chris

I don't think Airfix are showing interest at the moment as they seem to be concentrating on renewing their old aircraft moulds. I really hope they are keeping something fantastic in 350th secret for release next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Resin Shipyard in Canada do the Canadian Oberon class and have an Upholder slass in development.

G

I want that Upholder but when I asked they would not say how far along etc it was.

Julien

• 4 months later...

Hi

There is/was a hms resolution SSBN 1:700 by either pitt road or dragon?

I bought one about 6yrs ago via a hobby shop in spain, its in the stash, so i cant check the make

maybe try e bay ?

cheers

jerry

ps

the make was dragon hms revenge

Edited by brewerjerry

• 6 months later...

Hi wiggy the only Churchill class available is from OKB Grigorov in 1/700, but getting hold of them is a bit hit or miss, have an order with them dating back to February for an alfa

All the best Chris

• 2 months later...

Hi

i didnt realise but MT minatures do a 1:700 hms conqueror.

I just got one off e bay, postage to canada was an ouch ....

But there isnt many other choices

Cheers

Jerry

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely a dearth of RN subs of any class and scale.

Would live to see a U class and the Churchills in 1/350.

HMS Dreadnought would be nice as well :)

Mike,

If you can find a source of decent drawings - with cross-sections - and send them to Mikro-Mir, I'm sure they will consider them.

They are always looking for new subjects - but need the relevant data.

Ken

• Like 1

Mike,

If you can find a source of decent drawings - with cross-sections - and send them to Mikro-Mir, I'm sure they will consider them.

They are always looking for new subjects - but need the relevant data.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Already mentioned the Golf class to Mikro-Mir.

Great company. :)

I have messaged Mikromir as i have the following plans (Warship Data).

HMS Alliance, modified 1960
HMS Talent/Tireless T class modified 1953/5
HMS Tabard T class patrol conversion 1955

I have a nearly a full set bar HMS Dreadnought from Oberon up Astute in 1/700, plus waterline T class group 1 & 3, M2 and some others that escape me at the mo, think an american s class as used by RN and HMS Oxley, will have to check to be sure

Chroroszy's HMS Holland @ 1/72

In 1/350 i have Astute, Vanguard, Trafalgar x 2, (a yet to be modified trafalgar for a Swiftsure, as per Kens great conversion), mikromir K class, HMS Meteorite @ 1/144

All the best Chris

Hi

i didnt realise but MT minatures do a 1:700 hms conqueror.

I just got one off e bay, postage to canada was an ouch ....

But there isnt many other choices

Cheers

Jerry

Just an update,

My 1:700 hms conqueror arrived ok, delayed by customs, but very nice, in a white metal, with choice of scopes up or down.

Cheers

Jerry