Has anyone used the Humbrol grey primer matt ?

Rickpadwick1801

Hi everyone,

I am working on a 1/32 red arrows hawk and have so far found that the paint isn't covering particularly well. I have already given the parts a wash over with a small amount of washing up liquid and warm water to help the paint adhere but it hasn't worked.

I have been looking for a not to expensive primer and have seen the humbrol grey primer, has anyone used it ?

Cheers,

Rick

Personally I would recommend the Halfords Plastic Primer or the Hycote Plastic Primer from Motosave, both come in a rattle can and it sprays very easy and also leaves a smooth silky finish.

I have used this for a couple of models now and would not use anything else. It costs roughly £5 for a can which is enough to easily prime the 1/32 Hawk.

It comes in white, grey, red and also a clear variety so plenty to go at.

If you do try it, before you spray it, stand it in some warm water and you will find it sprays very nice.

Hope this helps.

I concur on the Halfords plastic primer, or a generic car-accessory-shop plastic primer. I've used Humbrol's grey primer - its nothing special, its like any Humbrol matt grey.

As for the red coverage; I find a coat of Humbrol 18 orange as an undercoat makes a big difference.

Halfords Grey Primer.

Cheap enough... I get an average of 6 1/48 aircraft from one tin. (depending on the size... e.g. I think you'd be hard pressed to get 6 48th Phantoms from one tin)

Sticks to anything like "brown stuff" to a Brillo pad. And contrary to some opinion it doesn't cover/fill/overwhelm molding details.

You don't need the Plastic Primer the only difference is that it has Plasticizer in it, for use on plastic parts of cars, (Trim/Bumpers, etc) that need to flex.

The normal one is perfectly fine, and cheaper... Why pay extra for something you don't need?

• 2 weeks later...

I concur about the Halfords primer, the reason for the poor reputation is that people don't get it warm enough before using it. I've had a lot of experience using these cans and, with the help of my workmates here is a fool proof method:

Just over half-fill a jug kettle and boil it.

Make a cup of tea/coffee, top the kettle up with cold water and put the can in.

Drink your drink.

The can should be just too hot to hold comfortably so wrap it in something and shake away for two minutes.

Spray using light coats fifteeen minutes apart from about two feet away. Keep the can in the kettle between coats.

That should give you a thin smooth coat which can act as a base for enamel or acrylic paint.

The Humbrol primer No 1 has caused me a lot of problems recently, it's tended to be very thick with poor coverage when thinned. The last batch had a lot of grit in as well. To add insult to injury it came through the top coat even after a week. It does make a useful thickener for mud on tyres and the like though. I haven't seen any in the UK tins yet so it may improve.

Just a final point about cleaning your model. I'd avoid Fairy Liquid as it has salt, use a sensitive skin, scentless hand soap for a better result. The residue from Fairy Liquid and the like can cause issues with acrylics. I use the Dove stuff and have never had an issue with it.