1/72 Fujimi A-4G x2 RNZAF, one down one to go

Discovering this GB has prompted me to get on with finishing these two which have been languishing over the bench for some time:
IMG_4562_zpsbbbbcbfd.jpg

I've done most of the other RNZAF scheme variants in 1/72, so I thought I'd do the RAN/RNZAF hybrid schemes that appeared in the mid-80's between acquiring the RAN survivors and the beginning of the Kahu programme.

The single seater will be finished as 877/NZ6218 as it was for it's delivery flight to NZ, featuring elements of three different colour schemes:
http://a4skyhawk.org/content/ran-4g-buno-155069

The T-Bird will be finished as 880/NZ6256 as it was before it became the "Benson and Hedges Special" for the 50th anniversary in 1987 (which means that serial is making it's third appearance in this GB by my count), which again features elements of a few different schemes.

http://kevsaviationpics.blogspot.co.nz/2012_04_01_archive.html

As can be seen from the first photo these were reasonably advanced, but ran into canopy and decal problems which brough a halt to proceedings. The closed canopies on both refused to be fettled, and the decals had yellowed since the last time I'd used them. At the time I was trying to meet a deadline, so moved on. I've got the decals hanging in the window to try and get rid of the yellowing (as a last ditch before resorting to other means), and having built more than a couple Fujimi A-4's now means I have spare canopies to play with (as well as a bunch of spare tanks and other things if anyone is needing any). Oddly, the spares seem to fit just fine.

Edited by mumbles

Thanks folks. Not much to show update wise yet (assembling drop tanks and futuring canopies not exactly being enthralling viewing), but in the interim I've had a good look at both jets and assessed where they are completion wise, and both are almost ready to paint, something I'm planning on starting this weekend. Neither will be carrying much in the way of underwing stores which should help the construction process a bit. Despite initial appearances, the single seater is actually the simpler scheme to do, so it will likely be finished first (besides which there is a club competition in a little under two weeks I'd like to have it ready for). And yes, the T-bird is missing a slat rail. It's in a box somewhere in the vicinity of the workbench, I'm just not sure which one. . .

Edited by mumbles

Now for some real progress

A new windscreen and canopy for the single seater has been masked up:

IMG_4637_zpsc86b747b.jpg

IMG_4638_zps52fcc628.jpg

The single given a pale blue base coat:
IMG_4645_zpsd16dfd17.jpg

Wrapped in blu-tack and tape:
IMG_4647_zpsdc30c378.jpg

And camouflage applied:
IMG_4648_zpsb2e5b857.jpg

When I say pale blue, it is pale blue, but technically the colour was a light grey, and occasionally open to contention :). I made my choice based on seeing examples of the actual colour on leftover bits of the real thing.

Edited by mumbles

I decided at the last minute to change the identity of the single seater as the particular markings were looking difficult to acquire. I was going to do a fully RNZAF marked machine, but then I remembered I had a set for one of the RAN machines that went to the RNZAF, so opted for that instead, if only to see an A-4 with Kiwi roundels and "NAVY" titles. This is the scheme they wore for the ferry flight and initial period of operation with the RNZAF, and I don't think I have ever seen it modelled. The roundels and rescue arrows are slightly oversize for stash supply reasons (on the real thing they simply overpainted the kangaroo with a kiwi, but the RAN roundels weren't of a diameter used by the RNZAF). The RAN marks are from an AussieDecal set, the roundels from Ventura.

Anyway, that's one down :)

makeup01_zps6ddef7af.jpg

87701_zps45470fbe.jpg

87703_zpsf4050b4b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's Dec 1st in my part of the world at least and due to a combination of reasons (run out of decals, illness, busyness, great weather and bbq's etc) and the T-bird is no closer to being done. Might have to shuffle it over to the KUTA BG! :D

Thanks for looking everyone.