Bristol Blenheim Twin Build - Frog & Airfix - Finished !

Been cracking on with the heavy engineering (relatively speaking for tiny kits !!) this weekend. I've finished the tweeks to the wing locations on the frog kit. Some plasticard was used to fill the void left by the changes on the leading edge roots which has done the job nicely and work has started on remodelling the upper nacelles on the AF kit. Also de-riveted the AF kit.

Step 1 - nacelle mods.

Cut the offending rear part away and fit plasticard insert. I cut out a slot to represent where the main wheel would locate when retracted. All imaginary, but how often do you look in the wheel wells anyway ?

af-nacelle-mod-2_zpsb061ead5.jpg

Step 2 - Fill the gap

A template was made from masking tape over the hole and rubbing a pencil over the edges. This was then used to cut pieces out of plasticard to drop into the holes, the inside piece previously added securing them in place.

af-nacelle-mod-1_zpsc5c66798.jpg

Some fettling is required to smooth this area out before making new nacelles.

The completed root corrections:

wing-mod-5_zps93f86553.jpg

wing-mod-4_zps2d4df934.jpg

wing-mod-6_zpse59bda2d.jpg

The sanded AF fuselage halves - I've not done the top / bottom as these will get done when the halves are joined.

ai-fuse-sanded_zpsa1f771b3.jpg

A mixture of rescribing and raised details will be added once the halves are joined up later on in the build.

• Like 1

This is a great thread,I remember building both of these kits many moons ago,the frog version I would love to see given a modern tooling,

I have decals for a mk1 FK-S CODED L1105 from extradecal never going to get used let me know if you want them I,ll pop them in the post.

It's at this point where you start wondering what the end percentages of filler vs plastic are going to be. Nice going!

Regards,

Adrian

I've been thinking that too, but so far not too much apart from the miliput !

G'day Neil,

So this is what you have been up to, looks like you have your work cut out for you. I'm sure they will look amazing when done.

Hope ya well mate

Cheers Callum

Not done much this year mate, real life getting in the way and all that ! How are you ? Your year seems of been taken up on your amazing dock diorama :)

This is a great thread,I remember building both of these kits many moons ago,the frog version I would love to see given a modern tooling,

I have decals for a mk1 FK-S CODED L1105 from extradecal never going to get used let me know if you want them I,ll pop them in the post.

Thanks for the offer Steve, the Mk.I will be in a desert scheme, L8612 so far, although I'd prefer to do another desert scheme that has tail flash and normal markings instead of the camo markings found on this one, just can't seem to find any :(

Done the mods to the nacelles on the AF kit now, one is ready for a rescribe shown below, the other (not pictured) just having a tad of filler to tidy it up. The one on the left below is the Frog wing with corrected wing tip, the one on the right the Airfix wing with corrected nacelle. The landing light and tip lights will be cut out, the landing lights to be covered by Selotape which works very well and the tip lights to be filled with clear plastic and filed to shape.

af-nacelle-mod-3_zps61093ac8.jpg

Getting there slowly !

Cheers, Neil

lol, mind numbing at the moment with these mods, but should pay off when it all comes together. Got the upper wings rescribed last night. Should have the wings together by the end of the week ready to progress onto the fuselage interiors.

Amazing transformation on the wings - will you be tackling the wing root on the Frog? I have the MPM/Special Hobby Mk.I and Mk.IV in my stash, I wonder how they compare?

Cheers,

Bill

Beware your references........

We all now agree with Old Man and kitty that the notch in the bottom left hand corner of the cockpit glazing doesn't exist. Imagine my surprise then at a cutaway drawing I found in an old issue of FlyPast. The draftsman has diligently incorporated the erroneous feature! I can only conclude that he had a Frog(spawn) kit in front of him when drawing the mk.1.....

Trevor

I've been thinking that too, but so far not too much apart from the miliput !

Not done much this year mate, real life getting in the way and all that ! How are you ? Your year seems of been taken up on your amazing dock diorama :)

Thanks for the offer Steve, the Mk.I will be in a desert scheme, L8612 so far, although I'd prefer to do another desert scheme that has tail flash and normal markings instead of the camo markings found on this one, just can't seem to find any :(

Done the mods to the nacelles on the AF kit now, one is ready for a rescribe shown below, the other (not pictured) just having a tad of filler to tidy it up. The one on the left below is the Frog wing with corrected wing tip, the one on the right the Airfix wing with corrected nacelle. The landing light and tip lights will be cut out, the landing lights to be covered by Selotape which works very well and the tip lights to be filled with clear plastic and filed to shape.

af-nacelle-mod-3_zps61093ac8.jpg

Getting there slowly !

Cheers, Neil

Neil,

Great progress, mate. That Airfix cowling looks much better from the top view. It's still a bit flat in side view though compared to the FROG cowling. I've got a pic of the restored Blenheim in flight that might show what I'm wittering on about.

DSCF5359_zpscfbabd0d.jpg

[Edited with picture]

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo

Amazing transformation on the wings - will you be tackling the wing root on the Frog? I have the MPM/Special Hobby Mk.I and Mk.IV in my stash, I wonder how they compare?

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill, if you're referring to the blending in, I'll be using Miliput. If you're referring to something else, let me know incase I've missed something :)

Beware your references........

We all now agree with Old Man and kitty that the notch in the bottom left hand corner of the cockpit glazing doesn't exist. Imagine my surprise then at a cutaway drawing I found in an old issue of FlyPast. The draftsman has diligently incorporated the erroneous feature! I can only conclude that he had a Frog(spawn) kit in front of him when drawing the mk.1.....

Trevor

I've been using pictures, the notch is but a history now ! Cheers

Neil,

Great progress, mate. That Airfix cowling looks much better from the top view. It's still a bit flat in side view though compared to the FROG cowling. I've got a pic of the restored Blenheim in flight that might show what I'm wittering on about.

[Edited with picture]

regards,

Martin

Martin, I've been deliberating over this. I stuck the part on that has the cooling gills on and made new gills, but only afterwards did I notice the hump issue. Trying to add the 'hump' now is going to be difficult so I'm not sure if it will get corrected. Problem with these builds is you could spend a year on them and still be finding errors so balancing the enjoyment of building and actually finishing the damn thing with getting it to look right can test ones patience !!!!

Martin, I've been deliberating over this. I stuck the part on that has the cooling gills on and made new gills, but only afterwards did I notice the hump issue. Trying to add the 'hump' now is going to be difficult so I'm not sure if it will get corrected.

Problem with these builds is you could spend a year on them and still be finding errors so balancing the enjoyment of building and actually finishing the damn thing with getting it to look right can test ones patience !!!!

Re the first paragraph: it's your build, mate! It'll look awesome with what you've done to date anyway. I just thought I'd add the picture as it's something others have pointed out to me in the past as an 'issue' with the Airfix kit.

Re the second: aye there's the rub!

regards,

Martin

Well, being the anal person I am Martin, I couldn't live with it, so I've taken your advice on board and stuck some miliput on :) Thanks for that picture by the way, I hope I didn't come across ungrateful :blush:

Here's where it's up to. The wings have have been rescribed and solar trim used for the raised detail. Once the Miliput is dry, I'll blend it all in with filler, hopefully without damaging the gills. One thing I have noticed is that the rear of the nacelles should lead to more of a point, but this is one thing I'm going to leave as is or I'll never get the damn things finished ! I've left the upper ailerons untouched, although they are a bit small, but modified the underwing ones as they are quite a bit different. Once I'm happy with these, I'll give the Frog ones a similar treatment although they need a ruddy good file down on the training edge first.

wings-1_zps031c5bb6.jpg

wings-2_zps4bd93b4a.jpg

wings-3_zps805254e4.jpg

That's for the tips along the way gents :)

Neil

Hi Bill, if you're referring to the blending in, I'll be using Miliput. If you're referring to something else, let me know incase I've missed something :)

I think what may be confusing me is that the wing roots look so different between Airfix and Frog, if you're only looking at the wing. By having a look at the fuselage, you can see that Airfix has a considerable portion of the wing root fairing as part of the fuselage, while the Frog wing actually goes into a recess. When you add the wings to their respective fuselage, you probably end up with wing root profiles (especially at the trailing edge) that look the same and there is no issue.

Cheers,

Bill

Miliput should sort that out then, just checking I hadn't missed something else ! Cheers

Well, got the hump today, well actually 2 of them ! It was quite fiddly having glued the gills in place, but does look better for the effort. The cowlings need to be scribed yet. Also started to rescribe the Frog wings although not taken any pictures of them yet.

wings-4_zps1fdaa1a7.jpg

wings-5_zpscfc8d19e.jpg

First signs of it looking like a Blenheim !

wings-6_zpsc8efc41d.jpg

Cheers

I see that you are working your magic again Neil,

You`ve got your work cut out but yet again you are making an old obsolete set of parts look as if they have just been re-released in a brand new kit!! You do know that as soon as you have finished them- Airfix will announce a new Blenheim kit with alternative noses!!

Keep up the good work and I`ll be following this one with great interest,

All the best mate,

Tony O

You do know that as soon as you have finished them- Airfix will announce a new Blenheim kit with alternative noses!!

Cheers guys,

I can see why modelling either needs patience or insanity...or both.

Tony, that's why I'm doing it :wicked:

Cheers guys,

I can see why modelling either needs patience or insanity...or both.

Tony, that's why I'm doing it :wicked:

I thought you might?? Good plan!

Cheers

Tony O

I'm away for a few days now in London, but got some good progress made beforehand. Got the frog wings scribed and some additional detail to the AF wings. I'll get some pics up later in the week but pleased with how they turned out. Next will be the cockpit interiors

I built the Airfix kit in my yoof. I remember now I stuck both British and French gunpacks on it. More like a Blenheim fortress with the turret as well

These are going to look superb

Chris

Thanks for the reminder I did the same thing, as a nipper there was no way you were going to let extra guns not be used. It's like rockets or bombs....... BOTH :evil_laugh:

I always thought the airfix one was good, shows what I know ! Really enjoying following these builds :popcorn:

• Like 1