Models in WH Smiths

Julien

On 05/03/2017 at 7:23 PM, DWC1968 said:

Hi Mike 

I was in there couple of weeks ago and they had sold most of the kits off, looked like it was the end of the model zone in there.

Dave.

Birmingham Smiths is the same. just a few models left on sale.

Cardiff Smiths didn't have much left - a few Revell kits marked as 'buy one, get one free' but on what looked like inflated prices - Chevy Police Car gift set marked at £30, Mk1 Golf Convertible marked at £24, also Spaceship2/Whiteknight and a larger scale plane (Jaguar?) but can't remember the prices for those.  Still, not a bad price if you actually want two of the Golfs...

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Went in to the Shepherds Bush (West London) Smiths this morning and the Modelzone section has now been completely removed. Obviously it had not made the chain enough money, but I can't help the feeling that the very high prices may have had a lot to do with its lack of success. 

It's a shame - how soon will it be before there are virtually no "bricks-and-mortar" model shops left?

Cheers.

Chris. 

10 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

It's a shame - how soon will it be before there are virtually no "bricks-and-mortar" model shops left?

As all of us know, rather than 'video killed the radio star' it's 'internet killed the hobby store'. If you buy from the internet (and I include myself in that) we only have ourselves to blame. But if you can get it for half the price online, as the Yanks would say “It's a no-brainer”.

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, Gorbygould said:

As all of us know, rather than 'video killed the radio star' it's 'internet killed the hobby store'. If you buy from the internet (and I include myself in that) we only have ourselves to blame. But if you can get it for half the price online, as the Yanks would say “It's a no-brainer”.

I'm not sure I agree with that entirely. As with most things in life the answer is not so simple, the internet certainly is a factor in that but not the only one. Some traders charge full price for things and they are still there in their stores, some charge a little less and they are still there. Any trader with any clue should move with the times and offer mail order and have an internet presence. Look at Wonderland in Edinburgh for example. I remember frequenting the shop in 1994/95 while I was at University up there, before the internet boom. I had a quick visit there last year while I had a couple of hours to kill, they have their store and trade online. I've no idea how people can open a hobby store these days as the cost of rent and rates for a shop premises is prohibitive never mind the cost of hiring minions and everything else!

thanks

Mike 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, alancmlaird said:

See what I mean? Been in York half a dozen times (and Elvington) - never found those! Thank you.

And in Nottingham, there's Gee Dee Models. Harrogate has a model shop upstairs in the post office on Leeds Road, some way out of the town centre: I've only been in once and they didn't have a great deal but it may be different now as that was a few years ago and I think they were just getting started. There's a model shop in Crossgates, a Leeds suburb, but I've never been there.

• Like 1