Pocher Rolls Royce Phantom Torpedo

Many thanks you guys.

It's nice to get such comments from ace modellers like yourselves.

Not much to go now.

I'll genuinely be sad when I finish this one. It's been a real part of me for the past four months and I can't say that about many other kits I've built.

Roy.

It's not an easy task creating a convincing soft top like this, and especially given the limitations that are forced upon the builder when doing it in the middle of the project - like you have to do the first time you build the kit - you have a done great work. I especially like that it looks convincing when folded.

Also the picture from behind with the top down, showing that lovely wood work of the interior is great. That wood work looks very convincing there, and adds a lot to the finished model. Great work again.

I've had great pleasure from following your thread over this time, looking forward to the updates as one of my highlights each morning or evening. Many thanks, it's inspirational!

Hello Roy,

I have been following this from the very beginning and I have to say that you have made this difficult kit into a beautiful piece of art.

I'm looking forward to following your Aston Martin build.

Best Regards

Keith.

Hi Roy,

I'm an aircraft modeler who has restarted his "career" after a 30 year absence and nowhere near your level of artist. I just found this thread this morning and have spent the last two hours fascinated by your build. I have no words to describe the awe you inspire. Simply a magnificent build. I asked my wife what she would think if I told her I had just spent $800 on a kit and she asked how long it would take me to get my suitcase packed. No sense of humor at all!! I'm looking forward to future builds. Thank you.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi roymattblack,

first of all congratulations to your RR Star of India work..great !!!

Sorry for me, that i didnt noticed your Journal earlier...

I am now after nearly 3 years in the final stage to build the same model...

and also as you i bought one of the first Pocher/Hornby Aventadors...

is waiting for the finish of the RR...

one question to the RR - have you tried to do the wheel caps ?

i am now in trouble, how to paint the orange lines to them...

have you any idea how to do it ???

many thanks !!!

Richard

A wreck bought vie Ebay in 2012:

P1130593_1_zpsrpvg3ynd.jpg

P1130607_1_zpsmujzbmex.jpg

P1130597_1_zpspkvfcfft.jpg

P1130627_1_zpsaaqscd87.jpg

P1130614_1_zpsycbcjs82.jpg

It looks in 2015 :

IMAG4024_zpswedt6jva.jpg

IMAG5117_zpsn0hms0em.jpg

RR%20Star%20of%20India_zpsjztrmc6r.jpg

And the Aventador is waiting....

IMAG5144_zpsvajtdfav.jpg

Edited by rfuhrich
  • Like 1

Many thanks for the kind words.

I completed this one a good few years ago and if I built it now, there are a few things I would do differently - or better.

I've discovered a lot building these Pocher beasties having now completed the Alfa Spider and an old Fiat restoration.

The Mercedes and Bugatti are in my stash.

The Aventador was fairly basic by comparison but I did go somewhat mad adding the huge amount of missing stuff in the engine bay.

When you build yours, I'd advise making the entire rear removable as I did, so you don't hide all the rear end work.

When I lined my Rolls Royce wheel centres and did the RR lettering, I used a fine black marker pen to fill the etching, and then wiped the cap over with a slightly damp white spirit cloth.

Don't use much white spirit as it will just wash out the colour.

If you look back in my build, you can see the caps.

I'm sure you could do the same using orange paint in the outline.

Roy.

Many thanks for the kind words.

I completed this one a good few years ago and if I built it now, there are a few things I would do differently - or better.

I've discovered a lot building these Pocher beasties having now completed the Alfa Spider and an old Fiat restoration.

The Mercedes and Bugatti are in my stash.

The Aventador was fairly basic by comparison but I did go somewhat mad adding the huge amount of missing stuff in the engine bay.

When you build yours, I'd advise making the entire rear removable as I did, so you don't hide all the rear end work.

When I lined my Rolls Royce wheel centres and did the RR lettering, I used a fine black marker pen to fill the etching, and then wiped the cap over with a slightly damp white spirit cloth.

Don't use much white spirit as it will just wash out the colour.

If you look back in my build, you can see the caps.

I'm sure you could do the same using orange paint in the outline.

Roy.

Thanks for the advice to the Aventador...

Back to the caps - the lettering and lining by the small centres is not the issue...

I mean the big wheel covers with the two orange circles on it - how to paint it in good quality ?

You didnt use them - what was the reason ?

Many thanks

Richard

caps_zpsyjkrizkc.jpg

Edited by rfuhrich

I didn't use the large wheel caps as I didn't want to cover up the wire wheels.

No other reason.

TBH, I think I binned the caps when the model was finished.

If I had used them, I would foil the silver area first, then put the cap into the chuck of a Dremel using a bolt and a nut through the centre, run the Dremel on very slow speed with it upright in my bench vice, and lightly touch a loaded fine brush to the line area on the cap.

Let the cap turn without moving the brush.

Let the paint dry and do it again, until the line is how you want it.

Roy.

I didn't use the large wheel caps as I didn't want to cover up the wire wheels.

No other reason.

TBH, I think I binned the caps when the model was finished.

If I had used them, I would foil the silver area first, then put the cap into the chuck of a Dremel using a bolt and a nut through the centre, run the Dremel on very slow speed with it upright in my bench vice, and lightly touch a loaded fine brush to the line area on the cap.

Let the cap turn without moving the brush.

Let the paint dry and do it again, until the line is how you want it.

Roy.

Hi Roy,

many thanks for the advise.

The dremel was one of my ideas, so i will try this first...

Best regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/6/2014 at 9:18 AM, roymattblack said:

Many thanks for all the above suggestions. At present, it looks like one of my jackets is going to vanish from the wardrobe.....

I’ve been looking very closely at the model and the real car and whilst I have no illusions of making a convertible top that’s as good as the real thing, I have concluded that there really isn’t any way the ‘Pocher way’ is going to produce acceptable (to me) results.

Firstly, It’s a model car.
Ok, obvious. But it is predominantly plastic where the body and roof structure is concerned and on a real convertible roof, the fabric is under considerable tension, especially from front to back, to keep it taught and flat. There is no way that can be achieved on a model car without distorting the windscreen pillars and the roof hoops/supports. I can now see why so many of these kits have a fixed closed roof, as the model includes a plastic frame to fix the roof material over which will create a nicely shaped roof. That roof cannot be opened into an open top car. The only option there would be to make the roof solid and fixed closed, but removable in one piece from the car so as to see inside. I don’t want to do that so I’m going to ‘try’ to fabricate some kind of folding mechanism that will give the required support to the long sides above the side windows of the car (this is missing in the kit) that will fold out of the way and be invisible when the roof is down.

The first move will be to alter my already altered front roof hoop/supports on the rear side vertical supports. These will need to be moved backwards to give me some room to create fixing points for my yet-to-invent side rails which will need to be thin yet strong, but still folding in some way……

I will also have to add the missing central cross support hoop, and re-think the fixings at the windscreen end.

All this is going to entail some experimenting and trial dummy-roofs. (rooves?)

Onward and upward….

Roy

ROOFDESIGN_zps61f60e52.jpg

Hi Roy

I’ve read your build all the way and have found it very useful with my build alongside the same dvd you’ve used.

I'm just in the process of doing the roof on the Rolls and really like the way you have managed to get yours to fold.

from the photos you’ve put up you can’t really see the connections of the side rails.

could you please put some close up photos of the connections of the side rails as I would like to see how you’ve done them.

Thanks 

6 hours ago, bap1609 said:

Hi Roy

I’ve read your build all the way and have found it very useful with my build alongside the same dvd you’ve used.

I'm just in the process of doing the roof on the Rolls and really like the way you have managed to get yours to fold.

from the photos you’ve put up you can’t really see the connections of the side rails.

could you please put some close up photos of the connections of the side rails as I would like to see how you’ve done them.

Thanks 

Roy has been absent from this forum for several years. I believe he can be found on the DeAgostini forum.

Another source for 188PY is David Cox, builder of this model which has a complete folding top:

H-e-2.jpg

A feature on it and top details are seen on his site:

http://www.detailedmodelcars.com/new-page-30.htm

17 hours ago, Codger said:

Roy has been absent from this forum for several years. I believe he can be found on the DeAgostini forum.

Another source for 188PY is David Cox, builder of this model which has a complete folding top:

H-e-2.jpg

A feature on it and top details are seen on his site:

http://www.detailedmodelcars.com/new-page-30.htm

Thanks for the update Codger.