New RN Carriers - In Service Pictures

Gorgeous, who are we borrowing the aircraft off?

I don't know what to say about these carriers. The thing that makes me annoyed is the ridiculous scrapping of the harriers, at least when they eventually get built there would have been OUR aircraft for them until the f35s arrive. What a stupid decision on the harriers. :chair:

I don't know what to say about these carriers. The thing that makes me annoyed is the ridiculous scrapping of the harriers, at least when they eventually get built there would have been OUR aircraft for them until the f35s arrive. What a stupid decision on the harriers. :chair:

You are so right, that has got to be the most short sighted Defence related decision ever, worse even that Nimrod MRA.4, TSR.2, or CVA-01 etc. Despite that, seeing these pictures give me a warm feeling to think the RN will have something that is as close to a real carrier as we can hope at last.

Does every post ref these ships have to bang about the Harrier????

Apparently, yes. See also every post about the F-35, every post about the Harrier, and for all I know every post about any type of aeroplane ever.

Its gone !! finished with !!!

So is TSR.2, these nearly fifty years, but when has that ever stopped anyone? Somewhere on the interweb there's probably forums complaining about the premature retirement of the flintlock and the longbow - all for political reasons that manage to have been carefully planned sabotage carried out by utterly stupid people.

So is TSR.2, these nearly fifty years, but when has that ever stopped anyone? Somewhere on the interweb there's probably forums complaining about the premature retirement of the flintlock and the longbow - all for political reasons that manage to have been carefully planned sabotage carried out by utterly stupid people.

Have you seen the site that blames a corrupt cabal for retiring the USN's jet-powered flying boats and demands their return to service?

I am not making this up.

But i forgot the Harrier like the TSR could do EVERTHING!!!! Fly a million miles non stop faster higher then anyone else drop thousand bombs and outfight any other plane in the sky oh and make the piots tea at the same time I,M fed of hearing about it when i click a post REF THE CARRIERS!!!!! :banghead:

Wow she's a fair old size isn't she?! I look forward to seeing her floating and doing her stuff. :) Did anyone else see the black/green information boards on the side of the towers (sorry nautical terms are not my forte) and just think of an Airport/train station??

I've been told there is a petition on the MoD's site to change the name of the second carrier from HMS Price of Wales to HMS Ark Royal. Haven't found it yet tho.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Have you seen the site that blames a corrupt cabal for retiring the USN's jet-powered flying boats and demands their return to service?

What, the P6M and the ... er ... the ... ?

Link please! I must read this.

For no apparent reason this exploded sectional diagram of the new carriers appears on the wall of the art block of Stamford High school -

http://amphibiousnecessity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/june-2013-notes-possibilities-of.html

Which is quite handy if you want to borrow a crayon off one of the little Tarquins to scrawl 'bring back the Harrier' across it...

The mechanical engineering construction of the ships looks amazing though essential as the bare hull is it only is about 10% of the costs - the "systems" of all sorts make up the other 90% of the ship's cost - the air wing is separate to this.

With all the discussions going on about aircraft suitability the basic facts are we are building 2 floating structures somewhere in size between the Nimitz class and the Enterprize CVA class ships and we are going to fly VSTOL aircraft off it that carry 10000lb dead weight/space lift fan that is only of use in the take off and landing. Any fixed wing VSTOL aircraft is a waste of a vessel of this size but The Consortium building the ship could not to come up with a realistic price for making it conventional fixed wing capable.

I suspect the RAF is keen to have the VSTOL capable F-35B simply because it will be a darn sight easier to land on a carrier though in terms of effective strike range a F18EF/Rafale and possibly a Buccaneer SMk3 :wub: mix would be more useful... and the F-35 systems can be carried by any similar sized airframe or even a bit smaller.

I'm really looking forward to these ships coming into service but I just wish we had a more sensible air-wing for them.

But wait! Don't you want to read his thoughts on submarine aircraft carriers?

That's even better stuff than the previous one ! I love the idea of a 12,000 ton submarine capable of carrying 20-30 aircrafts AND 27 ballistic missiles... the Ohio class boats displace 16,000 ton with the missiles only, wonder where this talented engineer thinks the space for the aircrafts can be found on a 12,000 ton submersible platform ?

Edited by Giorgio N

• 3 weeks later...

There's a flickr page following the build, with frequent updates.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/qeclasscarriers/with/9929626065/

Oops ...the link was already posted :banghead:

Stolen from it..a taster of what's to come? maybe?

9929626065_78d1db13e3_k.jpg

Edited by 2wheels
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is that a departures board attached to the island? Will it be like the one at Victoria Station - periodically going blank and then saying "Expected 20:08" on some and "Please see timetables for details of services" on the rest?

• Like 1