Luftwaffe equipment and other airfield clutter, another addition, 11/1/14

I didn't know quite where to put this but as its used to start aircraft I though I'd chance my arm in this section.

This is part of the Verlinden kit, you can also build the oil cart used by the Luftwaffe, I'll be building that next. The kit features both resin and p/e, talking of which this is the frame work for the trailer part, you have to fix 2 parts together which I did by soldering,

DSC_2280_zpsd061388a.jpg

Trouble is, it looks to flat, as p/e does, so I set about scratch building one out of Evergreen rod,

DSC_2283_zps77e9b33b.jpg

Here you can see the p/e leaf springs,

DSC_2285_zps9be3bbe0.jpg

The towing ring was made from wire.

You get a choice of wheels, resin or p/e for the steel wheeled type,

I chose the p/e ones,

DSC_2287_zpse9420d18.jpg

Again I soldered these,

DSC_2286_zps16f6753f.jpg

A quick check to make sure everything fits,

DSC_2296_zps9525ce9f.jpg

DSC_2295_zps23698b6d.jpg

DSC_2291_zps1378b619.jpg

Next stop the paintshop.

If anyone objects to this being in this section I have no problem to it being moved to another part.

Thanks for looking.

Tim.

Edited by tank152

Hello.

Very interesting, and for me, just fine here. What scale is it please? I'm thinking 1:72 from the scale of the cutting matt!

Hi, its 1/48.

Brilliant.... very interesting to see these accessories being modelled.

:popcorn:

Cheers, I haven't got that much room to display my models so things like this fit the bill nicely with them being small. I'm just finishing off a Flak38 gun but even though they were used to defend airfields i think I'd be pushing it a bit to far posting pics of it here!

Tim.

Cheers Ruari, I think I'm just about getting the hang of soldering now, its a bit different to welding though! I've managed to prime and paint it today, hopefully I'll get the time to take a few pics of it tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

After a modelling draught due to me starting another job and my Dad ending up in hospital for the 2nd time this year I've eventually found some time to do a bit more. Since my last post I've painted and started to weather the starter unit.

DSC_0223_zps671e1f4c.jpg

DSC_0228_zps06f29c3a.jpg

Also started the oil cart which is included in the Verlinden kit.

DSC_0003_zps2c512552.jpg

DSC_0018_zpsf970e0a5.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsce77bf8c.jpg

DSC_0209_zpse34e1850.jpg

DSC_0210_zpsefbbe6eb.jpg

I picked this CMK compressor up at SMW, these were also used on airfields.

DSC_0204_zps0f7341fa.jpg

DSC_0203_zpsf04defed.jpg

I've a few more airfield equipment kits now waiting to be built, they make a pleasant change from aircraft.

Tim.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

After yet another lengthy break I'm back with an update! The starter unit and oil cart are at last finished, pics to follow tomorrow. I made a start painting the compressor the other week.

DSC_0257_zps701c138c.jpg

I added some pins and p/e retaining chains to hold the jacks into position.

I've been working off and on on this as well.

DSC_0255_zps8a305633.jpg

Its a CMK Luftwaffe Air Control Field Caravan (hence pushing my luck!) which is a resin kit.

Heres where I'm at at the moment with it.

DSC_0287_zps73259b7c.jpg.

I may add some form of aerial to it yet.

Also looking through one of my "Luftwaffe Gallery" books I noticed some sort of hand cart in one of the photos, obviously commandeered of one of the local farmers, it just so happens that Hauler do something similar so here it is.

DSC_0272_zps78031270.jpg

After clean up and a test fit,

DSC_0274_zps8701e05a.jpg

After primer.

DSC_0293_zpsdf93cabf.jpg

Hopefully will get some paint on it tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in,

Tim.

The exhaust on the compressor turned out magnificent!

The oil cart is my favorite of the bunch, looks great!

Thanks Erik, I'm glad you like them.

Sorry to hear about your dad Tim, hope he's on the mend.

These are looking great. Are you planning to use them in a diorama?

Hi Neil, he's still up and down, at the moment he has got a chest infection, having his lung skewered by the clot who fit his pacemaker isn't doing him any favours. Thanks for asking about him.

Yes thats the plan anyway, I've been slowly collecting stuff so that I can have a bash at making some sort of one.

oil cart is brilliant! really impressed :)

Cheers aka1878, sorry I never got round to taking pics today of the finished article, its even more oily now!

..great work ... and what a nice series " Luftwaffe Gallery " is .. :winkgrin:

Cheers Neil, Yes its a great series, I noticed that you've done the translation for it. Thierry Dekker's profiles are superb. My only complaint is that we have to wait for so long between volumes.

Looking fine, some Great work there.

Thanks Ruari.

Excellent work there

Cheers for looking in and leaving a comment, I'll try again tomorrow to get some pics posted up of the finished kits.

• Like 1

As promised some pics of the finished articles,

first up the Starter Unit,

DSC_0343_zps3eafd345.jpg

The Oil Cart,

DSC_0297_zps9802f098.jpg

The Compressor,

DSC_0317_zpse2d43161.jpg

The farmer's cart,

DSC_0320_zps6477ae8c.jpg

This was first sprayed with a mix of Tamiya "Dark yellow" and "buff" before a layer of AK worn effects followed by a coat of a mix of Tamiya "Hull Red" and Gunze "RLM 23" and then chipped. Next stage is to paint the metal rims and weather it.

Thanks for looking in, all comments welcome.

Tim.

Edited by tank152
  • Like 5

Thanks Mekon, I've got to say that I'm really enjoying building these, I just hope I've used the correct shade of red for the cart!

It is my intention to display them on some sort of base.

Ruari, Aaron and Somnas thanks for looking in and leaving your great comments they are as always greatly appreciated.

I've put a few more photos up in RFI,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234952487-luftwaffe-airfield-equipment/

Next to be finished will be the cart.

What splendid little models.....The weathering on the oil cart in particular is absolutely first class! :thumbsup:

Cheers, I'm glad you like them.

I've been working on the Farmers Cart and Caravan over the last few days.

First up the cart.

DSC_0380_zps76b6d69d.jpg

DSC_0382_zps4441b627.jpg

DSC_0383_zps78d899fd.jpg

DSC_0386_zps793f5eb8.jpg

The steel rims were painted with Vallejo "oily steel" and then dabbed with a sponge using various Vallejo rust colours. Some of the red was highlighted with red oils and then a filter made up from W&N "raw umber" oil applied overall.

To justify this cart being in the aircraft section I'm going to place a oil drum on its side complete with a hand pump in it oor something like that anyway.

Next up the caravan.

DSC_0395_zps6ea35e32.jpg

DSC_0398_zps3b0d8ec2.jpg

Again I've used oils to fade and age the paint work. Still got to work on the roof area but you can see the difference oils make as it was all sprayed together.

The wheels.

DSC_0403_zps323671d2.jpg

Lastly I've made a start with something to put in the roof rack.

DSC_0401_zpscaca3aa8.jpg

The boxes were painted in Vallejo "old wood" with oils used for the wood grain, 3 boxes then had a coat of AK "worn effects" painted and chipped.

Cheers,

Tim.