1/350 HMS Ark Royal, 1987 - sailing back from the Shelf of Doom

Its the small details such as this aerial that will make this build!

Is the Airfix 1/600 Fearless no use to you? You can, or at least could, get a nice etch set for the kit.

Martin

I have the 1/600 Airfix Fearless, and will certainly build it (probably quite soon). It needs a LOT of work, though - partly because it is a very old kit so has some details that are pretty nasty by today's standards (the Seacat launchers are particularly egregious), but more because it depicts Fearless as built, when her superstructure was quite a lot different. But I have seen some lovely models built on the basis of the Airfix kit, so yes it will be done - the more I can study the challenges of her weird shape before I start cutting (1/350) plastic, the better.

P.S. I also have Peter H's PE set for the Airfix FS; essential, I'd say, if your cranes and yards are not to look horribly thick & clunky.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Plans are not an issue; the Jecobin Ark plans (1/192) have been completely indispensable for this build - copy at 55% and you have 1/350. I have plans of Fearless as she was in 2001 (so post-Falkland upgrade - with Phalanx etc.) and Intrepid as in 1972 (so the original Flyco and lower superstructure). Between the two I can get good plans for 1982 Fearless.

(Even my Dad used to instinctively hack & mime spitting whenever he heard the word "Tiff"; must be very old habit!)

This may (or not) be of some interest...

http://ipmsuk.proboards.com/thread/2974/scratch-hms-intrepid

Brian

• Like 1

Two layers (dry fitted) in place around the central brass rod spine:

7285983F-215C-4C95-B228-0170F0358A95_zps

Unforgiving macro, as so often - and it looks even worse because I have given a primer layer to the constituent parts, black for the sections between aerial arrays, and the aerials themselves grey.

Still, it's coming together, and I think it will work. It looks a lot better to the naked eye, I assure you! Perhaps this gives a kinder view:

9E36A9FA-C338-4117-BEAB-5BD1B53B8FB3_zps

• Like 8

The Discovery programme built the RC Fearless in 1/48! It was ridiculous.

That's the one, I remember the main body of it was HUGE! At least nowadays it would be easy enough to fit a couple of wessi on the back. MK 4 Seakings may be slightly more tricky!

That mast is looking good, love the small detail going on!

Bob

• Like 1

On a 1:32 Fearless? now THAT would be a project! :thumbsup:

You could populate it with some 1/32 Fly Wessex!

Martin (the rubbish marriage guidance counsellor)

• Like 1

520ft length = 158.496m

1:32

= approx 16ft 3" = 4.953m

1:48

= approx 10ft 10" = 3.302m

1:72

= approx 7ft 2.5" = 2.201m

It's a no-brainer really. If you are of typical build, Mrs Ex-FAAWAFU could most probably bury you in the 1:72 in a normal cemetery plot,but would most likely require special permission to bury you in the 1:48 or larger. The other alternative is the floating cremation option, in which case the 1:32 comes into its own. Would Sir be requiring genuine brass handles to be fitted to the sides of the casket or would he make do with just subtle weathering?

:D

Kirk

• Like 6

You could always have it as a live in Work in Progress canal barge if SWMBO just ostracized you instead, spend days gently meandering the canals of Birmingham using shopping trolleys to facilitate the scratch building. You could use old brake cables from discarded bikes for the railings..............apologies we are side tracking, that mast looks great..............would be better in 1:32 though :analintruder:

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1

I think Kirk means its out of this world.

Maybe stick to the subject.

We after all are talking of an aircraft carrier.

So much cos wollop seems to be developing here as in the Luft section.

Keep it Marine folks please.

foxy :coolio:

520ft length = 158.496m

1:32

= approx 16ft 3" = 4.953m

1:48

= approx 10ft 10" = 3.302m

1:72

= approx 7ft 2.5" = 2.201m

The real Fearless displaced >12,000 tons.

1/32 would only be, what, 370-odd tons. Plastic rather than steel, so maybe a ton. So not only am I dead but I am also bankrupt.

I have quite enough ludicrous ideas on my own without any assistance from you lot, thank you.

• Like 3

Unforgiving macro, as so often................

Still, it's coming together, and I think it will work. It looks a lot better to the naked eye, I assure you!.......

Looks pretty bloomin good to me Crisp.

Speaking as a man who has felt tempted to cry tears of frustrated disbelief at how macro photography seem to magnify and misrepresent insignificant imperfections in a piece of work in small scale (1/72 let alone 1/350!) - I reckon we on this site probably now have an automatic macro-photography filter that drops into place when appreciating work such as this :)

I have quite enough ludicrous ideas on my own without any assistance from you lot, thank you.

Oh the temptation to speculate......

I reckon I could already compile a basic list of several such - based solely on previous Crispin posts..........:)

• Like 1

Schoolboy error I fear, Crisp:

Since displacement is a function of volume, you can't just divide by 32. I make it 12,000/(32x32x32) which gives a mere 366Kg. You're not going to buy it as a single chunk of styrene either. Not only would the-soon-to-be-former Mrs ExFAAWAFU become suspicious at the big Hannants delivery but its probably not the best material for the hull. What you'd do would be sneak in a few deliveries of resin in periodically ("it's for casting a few bits for the ship, dear. Shrinks down a lot.") and hide some fibreglass matting inside that new carpet you promised. Maybe accidentally slightly over-order Kingspan for that extension you're going to need and hey presto you've got the makings of a fibreglass shell...

Don't forget to put money aside for a bodyguard and good divorce lawyer.

Kirk

• Like 2

Don't confuse me with the facts, Kirk. I had a chap to do all the maths.for me in my aircraft, and I've tried to keep it that way ever since.

And yes, Steve, you could probably write a list without even breaking sweat!

• Like 3

This is the sort of thing that happens when you join BM.

Martin

• Like 2

I do remember seeing a Fearless in 1:72 in a basement of a toyshop in England on the Leeds canal. Unfortunately I cannot remember the town as we were touring on a canal boat and stopped off for a browse.

2.201m was a big feature in the basement and had a complement of helos on board and landing craft. I cannot remember if the owner said it was RC or not but it was for sale at the time. SWMBO would have murdered me if I had even contemplated it !

It was very tidy and looked accurate, unfortunately, had no camera with me and so many years ago.

Loving the attention to detail in this tiny scale, but really think your next should be at least 1/72 !!!! DUCKS FOR COVER !!!

Nige

• Like 2

I do remember seeing a Fearless in 1:72 in a basement of a toyshop in England on the Leeds canal. Unfortunately I cannot remember the town as we were touring on a canal boat and stopped off for a browse.

2.201m was a big feature in the basement and had a complement of helos on board and landing craft. I cannot remember if the owner said it was RC or not but it was for sale at the time. SWMBO would have murdered me if I had even contemplated it !

I don't see why, you could have sailed it home!

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't forgotten you all, nor Ark - but I am on holiday for a week in Malta. Naval ghosts everywhere; great place!

You lucky £%*&%**)!

Martin

I haven't forgotten you all, nor Ark - but I am on holiday for a week in Malta. Naval ghosts everywhere; great place!

We love Malta, me and Gill did it a few years back, we would go back in a heartbeat, but we have to consider our 5 year old daughter and we've said we'll leave it till Megs a bit older to appreciate the history of the place.