1/350 HMS Ark Royal, 1987 - sailing back from the Shelf of Doom

1F25A970-EBF5-45DD-A8FE-C20B0875870F_zps

Looking again at that photo, I take my hat off to Mad Pete & WEM. The PE windscreen wiper boxes and wiper blades were a complete pain to do, but they definitely add to the overall realistic effect.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9

DAPS duly detailed and almost ready to be installed permanently; all that remains to be added is a pair of wave-off lights at the base.

381779B5-CB23-47B5-ABCD-0FC5D72F8E4C_zps

Looking at the Jacobin plans (on which it is sitting in this picture, but you cannot see the relevant bit) I am not convinced that Airfix have got the geometry right, but this is going to have to do - there are limits to how much of this ship I am going to scratch build!

• Like 8

Lost me ages ago, in the " I see what you are doing and it's great" stakes

but yes it does look great

Am I not correct in assuming this little doohdah is

Little!

Looks very right to me

:goodjob:

Edited by perdu

One of the things I have learned from the real stars of modelling in this scale (the Jim Baumans and Chris Flodbergs of this world) is the use of black primer to add depth to grey finish, especially when there is lots of small detail.

So now that I have reached a point where I need to check for areas that require work, I am trying it:

0E1426D8-85A7-495B-87A9-6A91E6113D4B_zps

Black Mr Surfacer 1500 from a rattle can - amazing stuff. A few areas that require a bit of fettling on the starboard side, but on the whole I am pleased.

• Like 5

Don't worry; it won't stay black for long. It is effectively one giant piece of pre-shading; when you spray the grey over the top, if you mist it in lots of thin coats, you never completely cover the black where it meets the edge of details. I have seen it used incredibly effectively, so I thought I would give it a whirl.

In other news, I am a happy boy; having missed both the Yeovilton Autumn show and Telford, I did at least manage to get to Wallop today. Like many of us, I feel as though I owe myself the pleasure of building a WingNutWings kit sometime, and I have been cursing myself for not having bought either a RNAS Pup or Triplane while they were available. Having seen some ludicrous prices quoted on Evil-bay (there is one up there today at £85, for instance), I was not a little chuffed to find a Pup at Wallop today for under £60. Hoorah. Not my scale, really, but one of my absolute favourite aircraft. I'd still love to do a "Tripe-hound", and if/when they ever get around to a Strutter...

• Like 1

I find it difficult enough trying to see things in 1/48 scale - you're working in 1/350 then you go and paint it black !

Show-Off !

It'd scare me rigid

I have enough trouble with painting a colour I want to see

Scary

Still Crisp MUST know what he's doing.............

;)

• Like 2

One area that adds a lot to the generally "busy" look of any carrier is flight deck lighting. The various PE additions are fantastic in many areas, but the limitations of PE shows up starkly with FD lighting; PE is stubbornly 2-dimensional when 3 dimensions are called for.

For once the original Airfix part (sorry - forgot to take a picture before I hacked it into tiny pieces) gave me the basis. It did at least have 15 or so little 3-dimensional lights, albeit embedded in a thick gantry that would have been about 3 feet thick to scale (again, a limitation of the medium). Plus their lights are simply round with a flat lens end, whereas the real ones are very undercut to focus the light downwards onto the deck (Airfix's version would destroy the night vision of everyone on deck in a nano-second).

And, of course (why am I still surprised by this?)... guess what?... Ark in 1988 was totally different to the later version in the kit. No spot ahead of the island, for a start, so far fewer lights needed.

I am trying to reproduce this (Ark taken in Sydney in 1988, with the front end of the island clearly visible on the left):

FCE12C87-FA37-4157-A213-D13D27843E06_zps

[incidentally, that phot shows the 3 lights under the Admiral's bridge (go straight up from the end of the SHAR pitot) and the forward-facing traffic lights under Flyco (looks like a black stripe on the front of the bridge in line with the forward funnel) - I fitted those a few days ago, but hadn't found this photo then to illustrate what I was trying to do.]

Here is my effort:

2CE6803A-4898-4729-AE7D-713A20F02865_zps

8AAB4ECC-C86D-46A6-9CEA-F405EBAA40A3_zps

The rectangular thing above the 6 lights is a CCTV camera.

Better than PE, I think. (Easy to see against the black, too, eh Hendie?)

More soon; I am not entirely healthy at the moment, so have been signed off work for a fortnight. Not good news in almost all respects - but at least I ought to be able to get some modelling done!

Crisp

[P. S. That photo from Sydney confirms something that has been nagging me, namely that the Coles crane (visible parked next to the ramp) had been painted grey by the time we went to Australia. It was still definitely yellow (as were the tractors) when I joined the ship in late-86, and I really want it to be yellow, so this talk of Ark 1988 might have to wound back a year!]

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 7

Cracking work Crisp.

I've ordered some Alclad black primer/microfiller to have a go at this black under grey thing........

Sorry you're not well at the mo' - it won't be any consolation but it looks like i'm gonna lose a molar tooth tomorrow......Crown came loose whilst on hols in Boston and the root filled tooth underneath is cracked :weep:

Oh yeah - and I had a cold all the time I was on hols too.

It's the curse of the self employed - For some reason you only get ill when you're on holiday......

• Like 2

Get well soon matey. Looks fantastic so far!

If anyone is interested, the Airfix Lusty is only £19.99 at the moment in their Black Friday sale. An absolute steal! There's a link in the Black Friday thread in chat!

• Like 1

....... (Easy to see against the black, too, eh Hendie?)

Now that would have been really bad if I'd needed a light to see the lights!

The scary thing is the one at the back of the island has about 20 lights in two banks, fitted to a much, much more complicated frame (which will have to be PE)...

nice work!. Any chance you could do the frame with the help of a soldering iron and fine brass wire ?

sorry to hear you're not 100% but glad to hear you'll get some modeling done (I hear hot toddy's are good for feeling better!.. or at least for not caring if you're feeling any better)

• Like 1

Superb attention to detail,especially at that scale, :goodjob:

Every time I think I have broken the back of the PE for this build, the 1022 Radar (long range air search - the big scaffold thing on top of the bridge) reminds me that I have yet to start it.

So today I did - firstly tackling the platform that sits beneath it (relatively simple, but hard to get neat):

AC48F0D6-7F93-4812-9AE0-37EF9690A558_zps

64BB4B40-1FD2-4635-A5BA-D827E451BEB5_zps

...and then starting on the frame of the radar itself. This is hideously fiddly and small - though I think it will look amazing in the end, so will be worth the effort. There is no denying, however, that there is a lot of effort; this already contains 6 pieces, and I haven't finished the frame yet, let alone the dish or wave guides.

1256e58edc3430cd56a76277c4dfedbd_zpsqued

[Hendie, no, the aft lighting gantry won't be soldered wire - too complex a structure for my first soldering effort, I think. I have, however, acquired a soldering iron and have been doing some tests, and I have a major soldering job in mind... watch this space when we get back to the hull.]

More soon.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 9