1:72 CMR Supermarine Scimitar F.1

Come on Bill, I can't bear to look anymore, you're draining my energy with all these tasty lookig FAA builds. Hold off for a while, please.

But no, this is serious modelling and congratulations on your collective skills.

Colin

On 10/5/2013 at 13:53, heloman1 said:

Come on Bill, I can't bear to look anymore, you're draining my energy with all these tasty lookig FAA builds. Hold off for a while, please.

But no, this is serious modelling and congratulations on your collective skills.

Colin

Easy - I don't have any more FAA subjects finished yet! :)

I did find another one in my stash last night that I can add to the list - it's the nice little HobbyBoss Seahawk. Looks quite nice in the box, but I've seen some folks struggle with it. There must be a mistake in the decals, though, as they have you put XV805 on both the top and bottom of the wings. That can't be right, can it? I've never seen or head of that.

Cheers,

Bill

Lovely job Bill, (sorry I missed parade earlier due to being sent away to far flung parts on hols), beautifully finished and a nice slice of subtle weathering going on too. I agree that the CMR kit is way ahead but at that price so it should be. Would be great to see a larger scale version at some point......great stuff....Carry on that man !

Ive built the hobbyboss seahawk, (My build on here seems to have been deleted/archived) And i can tell you there are only two issues... One is that indeed the decals show on top of the wings and this is incorrect (Omit these)

And two the join of front to back creates a nasty seam all the way around including straight through the exhaust plates.. However since i built mine there is a lovely eduard set that replaces that area with two nice triangles of etch and will easily fix that awkward job... :)

On 10/6/2013 at 12:23, general melchett said:

Lovely job Bill, (sorry I missed parade earlier due to being sent away to far flung parts on hols), beautifully finished and a nice slice of subtle weathering going on too. I agree that the CMR kit is way ahead but at that price so it should be. Would be great to see a larger scale version at some point......great stuff....Carry on that man !

I hope the far flung parts were nice! And thanks for the compliment - it was my admiration for your resin builds that made me want to build a resin kit. I am now completely hooked on the incredible detail that is possible - and it's all your fault! When wifey complains about the price of a kit, I say go talk to the General! :)

On 10/6/2013 at 14:05, AdrianMF said:

Marvellous! I've been following the build but the finished product is even better. Great...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian!

On 10/5/2013 at 14:25, Learstang said:

Looking at the great job you did on the Gannet, Bill, makes me happy I didn't sell this kit. Hmmm, time to pull it out of storage and take a look...

Regards,

Jason

Yes! Go up to the loft and retrieve the kit, then build it! It's a Gannet, one of the most beautiful aircraft ever to take to the air - the kit must be built! :)

On 10/6/2013 at 20:04, Chris Ferguson said:

Ive built the hobbyboss seahawk, (My build on here seems to have been deleted/archived) And i can tell you there are only two issues... One is that indeed the decals show on top of the wings and this is incorrect (Omit these)

And two the join of front to back creates a nasty seam all the way around including straight through the exhaust plates.. However since i built mine there is a lovely eduard set that replaces that area with two nice triangles of etch and will easily fix that awkward job... :)

Aha, that is good to know! I'll put the Eduard PE set on my wish list. Good old Ed, he always comes to the rescue! Thanks for the tip. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for that Bill, you're a gentleman, and yes the far flung bits were very nice thanks. Cuba, what a wonderful place, 35 degrees, 96% humidity, violent thunderstorms, vampire mossies, power boating and lots of scuba diving........just up my alley, (not the mossies thankfully).

I hope the far flung parts were nice! And thanks for the compliment - it was my admiration for your resin builds that made me want to build a resin kit. I am now completely hooked on the incredible detail that is possible - and it's all your fault! When wifey complains about the price of a kit, I say go talk to the General! :)

Plenty more resin stuff coming up and something you might well be interested in too...but I'm saying no more :ninja: ! Just keep wifey at your end of the pond....got enough of my work cut out dealing with mine at this end !.... :shutup:

Edited by general melchett

Oh my Lordy! I have NEVER seen so many beautiful navy examples in a thread. I am in awe. Precision and class I can only aspire to.

Top job Bill.....I doff my cap

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mates,

Nothing like a good old British FAA jet from the 50s to knock the socks off all of that boring low-viz grey modern stuff!

100_4137

The Syrcon show is put on by the IPMS club from Syracuse NY. The Scimitar took First Place in class (OOB Aircraft) and Best Aircraft of the show! Woo Hoo! :pumpkin:

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Didn't win a thing in the raffle! Next year!

• Like 4

Ive built the hobbyboss seahawk, the join of front to back creates a nasty seam all the way around including straight through the exhaust plates..

I used 5 minute epoxy to join the two halves, I put on a bead of the stuff and let it ooze out. Once hardened I sanded it back and had a perfect joint ready for rescribing.

Duncan B

• Like 1

On 10/26/2013 at 03:13, Bri48 said:

Great collection of FAA "Classics" a Harrier wouldn't look out of place sitting among those beauties!

Right you are! I have the FRS.1 and FA.2 queued up! :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Plus, I just received a nice "CARE" package from a friend in Austria containing a Sea Hornet, Barracuda, Firefly, and Fulmar! And my loft insulation already includes the beautiful CMR Sea Venom, three Swordfish, a Sea Hurricane, a Sea Fury, a couple of Seafires, a Seahawk, a Wyvern, a Phantom FG.1...I could spend the next decade modelling FAA subjects! :)

one more thing on the HB Sea Hawk, the roundel decals - the white is not opaque enough to cover what lies below it. If you are using the kit decals, maybe place the Indian ones below the FAA ones?

On 10/26/2013 at 16:52, ruudster said:

one more thing on the HB Sea Hawk, the roundel decals - the white is not opaque enough to cover what lies below it. If you are using the kit decals, maybe place the Indian ones below the FAA ones?

Thanks for the tip! I may have a look around at aftermarket sheets, I'm sure Xtradecal has some.

Cheers,

Bill

I used 5 minute epoxy to join the two halves, I put on a bead of the stuff and let it ooze out. Once hardened I sanded it back and had a perfect joint ready for rescribing.

Duncan B

Oh like i say its do-able just irritating... And the new eduard set makes it SO much easier lol

On 10/26/2013 at 02:29, Duncan B said:

Duncan B

Hi Duncan,

The seams on the Scimitar are filled with CA glue. I've found that it also sands very nicely, and more importantly, can be scribed easily. I hadn't thought of using 5 minute epoxy and letting it ooze out. With my luck I'd use way too much, and the stuff would squish out like the Blob That Ate Cincinnati. Then I'd have to get out the Dremel tool to grind it all off.

So how did you judge how much of the stuff to use? The stuff I use is pretty thick, too, how is the brand you use, viscosity-wise?

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Duncan,

The seams on the Scimitar are filled with CA glue. I've found that it also sands very nicely, and more importantly, can be scribed easily. I hadn't thought of using 5 minute epoxy and letting it ooze out. With my luck I'd use way too much, and the stuff would squish out like the Blob That Ate Cincinnati. Then I'd have to get out the Dremel tool to grind it all off.

So how did you judge how much of the stuff to use? The stuff I use is pretty thick, too, how is the brand you use, viscosity-wise?

Cheers,

Bill

Devcon 5 minute epoxy is my brand of choice, it is quite thick so can be made to hold a bead. As for knowing how much, I just guessed after having seen the size of gap. I wiggled it about a bit to encourage the squishy blob to extrude but not get excited enough to eat Cincinnati (which I'm guessing would be bad). I also use thick super glue to run into gaps but I always end up getting it all over the place and find that it shrinks back so I have to go over the gap again.

Duncan B