1:72 CMR Supermarine Scimitar F.1

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It is truly appreciated!

On 9/29/2013 at 23:30, Neil Lambess said:

STUNNING !

Beautifull work there Bill , its enough to make me bin my Xtrakit WIP and save up for the CMR !

(very nice work on getting the nose EDSG demarcation spot-on ...looks 100% a Scimitar)

:)

I can't comment on the Xtrakit, but if it's like their Sea Vixen it just needs some TLC. :)

The CMR kit is amazing, well worth the money in my book, but being resin it's not shake and bake. I've always wanted a Scimitar in the collection, so I'm really glad I built this kit. Plus, I learned a few things along the way.

And thank you for pointing out the importance of that demarcation line. That made me study the reference photos more closely than I normally would have to make sure I got it just right!

On 9/30/2013 at 01:06, crobinsonh said:

Lovely build of a very nice kit. We need a group photo of Buccaneer, Scimitar, Sea Vixen, Phantom etc

Now that's a smashing idea! I can arrange that, although they may not all fit in the photo booth at the same time. I'll give it a try tonight.

On 9/30/2013 at 03:55, tonyot said:

Good job Bill,

It looks superb, especially with its folded wings and your paintwork is flawless! I`m a bit scared of starting mine as I don`t want to spoil it,

All the best

Tony O

Go for it! Just take your time, plan ahead, follow the instructions...no, wait, don't follow the instructions. They have you putting fiddly things, like air brake petals, on the model during the middle of construction. Let's just say read the directions and modify to suit common sense! :)

Note: Always wear suitable protection when working with resin, due to its toxic nature (although I've read that it is only toxic in its liquid state.) My resin defcon suit consists of short pants, a Big Lebowski t-shirt, and a Chicago Cubs 1908 World Series Champion cap. Nothing can possibly harm you when you're wearing all that stuff.

On 9/30/2013 at 04:14, patjb said:

Very good, nice finish and weathering just right it all looks great. Had a quick look through the build link. I have never built a resin kit, might have to give one a go, the little tip with the vacform canopy I wish I had thought of that a few years back!

Thanks - I first thought of using the wall joint compound one time when I ran out of putty. Took me a while to get the hang of it (you should see my walls!) but now I use it a lot. Another place where it comes in handy is to make a nice smooth fillet radius in places that are difficult to sand.

On 9/30/2013 at 05:50, murfv said:

:thumbsup: Now that is a spectacular Scimitar, it really looks the part, classic british jet, built and finished to perfection, and

in EDSG/white, love it!!

Yeah, baby! The Scimitar is such a beautiful jet. Yes, it didn't have a spectacular or long operational history, but it surely deserves more attention in the modelling community than it has received. What surprised me is just how large of an aircraft it was. This will be apparent when I post the group photo that crobinsonh suggested above!

Cheers,

Bill

Note: Always wear suitable protection when working with resin, due to its toxic nature (although I've read that it is only toxic in its liquid state.) My resin defcon suit consists of short pants, a Big Lebowski t-shirt, and a Chicago Cubs 1908 World Series Champion cap. Nothing can possibly harm you when you're wearing all that stuff.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(However, I thought the problem with sanding resin is that if the dust particles get into your lungs they can't be absorbed & don't decompose? But I'm no medical scientist.....!!)

On 9/30/2013 at 12:32, keefr22 said:

(However, I thought the problem with sanding resin is that if the dust particles get into your lungs they can't be absorbed & don't decompose? But I'm no medical scientist.....!!)

Always wear a respirator or at least a mask when sanding resin. The article I read (aimed at our hobby, but I'm not sure of its accuracy) indicated that toxicity is mostly in the liquid form, i.e. don't drink it. Inhaling resin dust can create severe upper respiratory issues (such as hacking up the proverbial lung), not unlike being in a high dust environment (like sanding wall joint compound all day long). But it also said that not all resin is equal in this regard, and even within our hobby different types of resin are used. I don't recall any mention of whether the dust decomposes or not, although I would think it's more a question of how it may be absorbed into your bloodstream and what ultimately happens to it from there.

I'm sure that the chemists amongst our readership can supply more definitive guidance. :)

Cheers,

Bill (Not a chemist, but can say that wet-sanding resin keeps the dust down quite a bit.)

Stunning! build and photography are really masterclass stuff.Interesting to see your comment re drywall joint compound as filler-I've used it for years (at work) and thought about it for modelling (I'm a beginner)...it can be smoothed with a damp cloth,and also watered down/mixed with detergent for various uses,but doubt it will take any scribing-any experience with that? -Dave

Stunning! build and photography are really masterclass stuff.Interesting to see your comment re drywall joint compound as filler-I've used it for years (at work) and thought about it for modelling (I'm a beginner)...it can be smoothed with a damp cloth,and also watered down/mixed with detergent for various uses,but doubt it will take any scribing-any experience with that? -Dave

On 9/30/2013 at 15:51, Dave N said:

It definitely won't take any scribing. Unless someone knows something to mix it with that will cause it to harden considerably. But you'd need to do that after you've shaped it.

On 9/30/2013 at 16:05, Selwyn said:

Lovely kit well built!

Could you actually fold a Scimitar wing with a 1000lb bomb on it?

Anyone?

Selwyn (who needs to know!)

I brought that up during the build, but no one chimed in. I'm sure the wing could take it, being stressed for dogfight g-forces and all, but not sure about the folding mechanism/hydraulics. I was also concerned about the naughtiness of having a live bomb on the wing whilst it was folded...

If the answer turns out to be no, then my model will hereafter become a "what if." :)

Cheers,

Bill

I have seen pictures of them folded with external tanks fitted ,they must weigh a fair bit when full,plus I doubt they would wait to unfold the wings to load the bombs,not lot of room on those carriers,love your build,looking forward to seeing the other two 😊

Brilliant model, Bill! Looking at your model, I now wish I hadn't sold my Xtrakit one. I realise the Xtrakit Scimitar was not without its issues, but dagnabbit, I want a Scimitar now! See what you've done? I was perfectly happy with my squadrons of unfinished Il-2's and Spitfires and now I have to run off and buy me a Scimitar.

Regards,

Jason

Family Portrait! Fly NAVY!

100_4071

Cheers,

Bill

PS. The Fujimi FG.1 Phantom was built in 1987, right after the kit came out. Yes, that's right kiddies, it's 27 years old! The Buccaneer, on the other hand, was built last year. It's the CMR resin kit. Pulling the Buccaneer out of the display case reminded me that I forgot to put the pitot tube on the port wing of the Scimitar. And I thought it was done!

PPS. It seems that the Gunze EDSG is fading over time just like the real stuff! :)

• Like 3

Lovely work there, congratulations.

Out of interest, if this were entered in a competition, would it be in the "out of box" class, or not? With kits like this that contain photo etch and/or resin and vacform etc. as standard, does this count as OOB? Just a thought.