Seafire XV 767 Sqn. Lossiemouth 1946

Col.

Using the Sword Seafire XV late kit and a set of Almark decals to model a Seafire operated from RNAS Fulmar/Lossiemouth during 1946 as part of the Fleet Air Arm GB I came up with this;

20130929_091011.jpg

20130929_091038-1.jpg

20130929_091059.jpg

20130929_090957.jpg

20130929_091114.jpg

20130928_081630.jpg

20130928_081654.jpg

This is the progress thread if you want to see how it went...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234943393-sword-72nd-scale-seafire-xv-767-sqn-1946/

• Like 7

That's very nice, which paints did you use for the Temp Sea Scheme as they look great?

Cheers

Tony O

Humbrol enamels throughout on this one Tony; Hu 123 & 224 for the uppers over 90 for the lower surfaces. Went on a treat then a couple coats of Future for the decals to settle on.

Aye aye Mannie,

Nice wee Seafire there, will we be seeing it on Tues evening? Have to agree with Tony, the colours look bang on.

Mark.

Cheers min, hopefully have her in Tuesday after missing the last couple meetings along with the Seafire III that never made it to the centre table, was looking to see if anyone had photos up from the competition but not seen any yet :(

• 2 weeks later...

I like this a lot. It's just struck me that, with a few modifications, the kit could be converted into a Spit XII...

That's a good point. An oil cooler shaped from stock tube and a few other modifications would see you right for a XII although I'd be surprized if Sword don't do one themselves.

• Like 1

That's a good point. An oil cooler shaped from stock tube and a few other modifications would see you right for a XII although I'd be surprized if Sword don't do one themselves.

Or the spare MkV oil cooler from the Airfix MkI/II boxing? Also, obviously, a new rudder... 'pointy' for the ones that were MkVIII airframes or non-pointy for the MkV airframes.

Didn't Sword make Xtrakit one?

Or the spare MkV oil cooler from the Airfix MkI/II boxing? Also, obviously, a new rudder... 'pointy' for the ones that were MkVIII airframes or non-pointy for the MkV airframes.

Didn't Sword make Xtrakit one?

AFAIK, all the XIIs had pointy rudders, the V based airframes had fixed tail wheels, the VIII based ones had retractable tail wheels.

Nice job on the XV Col, theres a lot to like about this, I need to get off my backside & get one of these as I already have the Almark decals & I like that scheme, especially now I've seen it on yours. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

AFAIK, all the XIIs had pointy rudders, the V based airframes had fixed tail wheels, the VIII based ones had retractable tail wheels.

Nice job on the XV Col, theres a lot to like about this, I need to get off my backside & get one of these as I already have the Almark decals & I like that scheme, especially now I've seen it on yours. :thumbsup:

Steve.

You are quite right Steve... it's the rectractable/ non-retractable tailwheel that marks the difference between the airframes.

You're getting the hang of this Seafire lark Col.

She's another good'un mate.

Hey Beard,a Griffon VI with a Mk.V rudder at the other end of it?,that would be

a real handful.

I doubt that it'd have anywhere near enough authority for yaw control,the "pointy"

was only just enough.

• Like 2

Hey Beard,a Griffon VI with a Mk.V rudder at the other end of it?,that would be

a real handful.

I doubt that it'd have anywhere near enough authority for yaw control,the "pointy"

was only just enough.

Do you know the real irony of my mistake? I have a copy of Morgan and Shacklady's 'Spitfire - The History' sitting next to me... D'oh!

Still, me being a f***wit doesn't detract from how nice a job Col has done.

• Like 1

Thank you gents. The Sword kit is a nice one to work with so can recommend it. Seafire number 3 of many I hope to build in the near future.

• Like 1