Revell 1/144 North American P-51B Mustang - Completed

Speedman

Originally released in the 1960s and available (yet again) this year it has been superseded by the beautiful offering from Sweet. I'll be building this OOB but using decals from the Sweet kit for 43-6819 flown by Capt. Duane W “Bee” Beeson. The Revell kit comes with decals (rather nice quality as well!) for Yeager's "Glamorous Glen" and I'm saving those for one of the Sweet kits.

2013-09-2419_30_23_zpsd444035e.jpg

Edited by Speedman
  • Like 1

I love the stuff from Sweet, they did two P-51 sets (that I know of), I've got the "Pioneer Mustangs" version. Choice of tanks, standard or Malcolm hood, choice of exhaust stacks, positionable radiator vent & six aircraft markings to choose from. If you ever want a great 1/144 kit I highly recommend them along with Aoshima's FW 190 A-8 (twin set) that comes with PE main gear doors!

Edited by Speedman

Think this makes for the smallest model in the GB so far? Seems to be a bit of flash around the prop - hope the parts clean up alright and the fit is still good.

The fuselage went together with lashings of filler and lots of sanding. A step in the nose and an awful "L" shaped step in the fin were the major issues to deal with. The underside wasn't too bad with just the seam to take care of and a few sink marks. I still need to sort out the intakes, the nose needs opening up a bit as does the ventral. The ventral also need work on its shape as it's rather pointy when viewed from underneath :huh: Wings... The best of the three "Micro Wings" kits I'm working on! Went together like a dream and just a tiny bit of filler on the underside of the wing tips.

2013-09-2819_52_0501_zps76275d7e.jpg

Glad to say this one is better than I expected, although the flash on the prop is proving to be fun :confused: Tailplane fitted and finished, they were a very good fit. I've test fitted the canopy, great fit as well although it's not what you would call clear. I'm working on the little bits now, the wing tanks aren't bad at all and the undercarriage is the most detailed of all the Micro Wings kits I've built.

2013-09-3015_35_26_zpse5ce6f35.jpg

• Like 1

Managed to make something half decent out of the flash covered prop and painted it last night. This morning I painted the undercarriage and fitted them along with the tanks. I had to cut down the mounting point of the tanks due to them hanging a scale foot too low! After that I gave it a coat of Humbrol Clear to seal the decals, all that's left to do is some weathering and a final matt coat.

2013-10-0514_29_29_zps278369a1.jpg

what Neal said!

Very nice indeed. Why don't you do some more of these during the rest of the GB . . . ?

Well I'm already working on my Cuban F-47 & have started one of my AH-1Gs but if I've got some spare time (I've got another 3 big projects in full swing as well) I could do the Spitfire and/or the 262. They're the only other kits in the range that I can confirm have been superseded, there's a Wildcat I could do but my local Antics are out of stock. :P On top of all these, I'm thinking of entering my second AH-1G as something very unusual and possibly not seen as a modelled subject...

Edited by Speedman