Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command GB Chat

Fantastic Work PhoenixII, great to see the West Highlands covered in such detail

Oban, Tiree, Bowmore, Port Ellen, and Benbecula, 

Some of the aircraft types are unexpected, Warwick 1, Northrop N-3PB, Albermarle, and the Saro London to name but a few.

I was hoping to build my stalled Blackburn Perth, pre WW2 but hopefully ok to include ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Morning Pat,

from what I've been able to find out its service was with 209 Sqn.

Blackburn Perth (3 built) succeeded the Iris (4 built) basically same aircraft different engines, but the Perth carried a 37mm C.O.W. Gun! :drunk: In service between 1934 and July '36. 

Replaced by the Singapore and London.

In my book that means your in on both counts!

HTH

Paul

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I was hoping to build my stalled Blackburn Perth, pre WW2 but hopefully ok to include ?

2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Thanks Paul, you put it very well - I wasn't aware they were still trying to use COW guns that late, but then they built a few Mosquito Tse-Tse during WWII.

Pat @JOCKNEY, provided you can make a case for the stalled build being within the 25% rule, then yes, please continue it here.

IIRC the Blackburn Perth is a vac-form kit?  In my book, the added difficulty there is a good argument for including the model in this build :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Was the Sea Vixen ever used for any of these roles?  I know she was primarily carrier based...

Umm, John, there is another group build for aircraft carriers and things wot goes on 'em ...

That build start on 24th March, so less (just) than a month's time.

I'd love to see you build a Sea Vixen, but, maybe not here, sorry

Morning Pat,

from what I've been able to find out its service was with 209 Sqn.

Blackburn Perth (3 built) succeeded the Iris (4 built) basically same aircraft different engines, but the Perth carried a 37mm C.O.W. Gun! :drunk: In service between 1934 and July '36. 

Replaced by the Singapore and London.

HTH

Paul

13 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

Thanks Paul, you put it very well - I wasn't aware they were still trying to use COW guns that late, but then they built a few Mosquito Tse-Tse during WWII.

Pat @JOCKNEY, provided you can make a case for the stalled build being within the 25% rule, then yes, please continue it here.

IIRC the Blackburn Perth is a vac-form kit?  In my book, the added difficulty there is a good argument for including the model in this build :)

Thanks Paul

I would love to find a 1/72 scale 37mm gun to include it, if anyone knows where one can be found......

Thanks Robert

The Perth is the vacform Contrail one which is safely below the 25% rule, having only had the parts cut from the backing sheet and still to do the sanding !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

One aircraft Guaranteed to go faster in reverse after firing its bow mounted cannon then could ever hope for going forwards!

Cov Ordanance had to build SOMETHING other than bikes!

Will bow to your superior knowledge, I always thought the Tse-Tse mounted a 6lb artillery piece!

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks Paul

I would love to find a 1/72 scale 37mm gun to include it, if anyone knows where one can be found......

Thanks Robert

The Perth is the vacform Contrail one which is safely below the 25% rule, having only had the parts cut from the backing sheet and still to do the sanding !

cheers Pat

Pat, BEST of luck!!!!!

Contrail kits can be quite good, as has been proven by one of our members, having built close on a dozen :blink:

Before you ask, the answers NO! Now, what was the question?!! (He hasn't bult a Perth and neither have I!!)

If you want to build yours with the C.O.W. gun, think you could do worse than head over to the big 'H' site

and have a look what's available in the 'tracky things' (otherwise known as targets!) section under add on's / replacement barrels.

Have a look here, for your delictation:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1MSHglGP4 The beastie in question, the 37mm / 1.5lb C.O.W. gun, in situ.

Only a minute and a half, though what Mrs. woman is going to do with that bouquet.........I don't know! :whistle:

HTH

Paul

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Will bow to your superior knowledge, I always thought the Tse-Tse mounted a 6lb artillery piece!

Ah, sorry, my poor writing style.

Yes, the Tse-Tse did use a 6lb but it was another gun than had more recoil than was comfortable in the aircraft it was fitted to.

22 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Was the Sea Vixen ever used for any of these roles?  I know she was primarily carrier based...

The Sea Vixen was an interceptor and to a lesser extent a strike fighter. It just didn't have the endurance for maritime patrol. Furthermore, it was only ever used by the Fleet Air Arm.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

As has been pointed out, a Sea Vixen would be a perfect choice for the Carriers GB. 

...and the 60's NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

'ere, you lot! You asleep? We have a GB for a 'target' in front of us! :whistle:

't'll NEVER do, don't you know?!!

Paul

(spreading gloom and despondency :evil_laugh:)

Yes lots to look forward to like, sanding, sanding, sanding, filling, followed by :hmmm:  oh yes :idea: more sanding

IMG_3637

IMG_3636

can hardly wait ! :violin:

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey Pat,

joking apart, do you think there's a chance she'll be finished in time for SMW this year? Would love to have her on the Coastal Command table, same goes for anyone else!

Paul

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Yes lots to look forward to like, sanding, sanding, sanding, filling, followed by :hmmm:  oh yes :idea: more sanding

IMG_3637

IMG_3636

can hardly wait ! :violin:

cheers Pat

That looks familiar, I found it almost impossible to get the tail fins thin enough to look right, so  scrapped them and replaced them with plasticard items.

An excuse for a photo! Still feeling a smug about this build!

39539760551_28b976193c_c.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, bristol boy said:

That looks familiar, I found it almost impossible to get the tail fins thin enough to look right, so  scrapped them and replaced them with plasticard items.

An excuse for a photo! Still feeling a smug about this build!

39539760551_28b976193c_c.jpg

And rightly so I may add :partytime:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know I said I’d build a SAAF Turbo Dakleton for this GB but now I’ve gone and bought Red Roo’s boxing of the Hasegawa Neptune with Blackbird’s P2V-5/MR.1 conversion. So I might well be building a Neptune MR.1. Or the Dak. Or both. Decisions decisions...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zebra said:

I know I said I’d build a SAAF Turbo Dakleton for this GB but now I’ve gone and bought Red Roo’s boxing of the Hasegawa Neptune with Blackbird’s P2V-5/MR.1 conversion. So I might well be building a Neptune MR.1. Or the Dak. Or both. Decisions decisions...

You know what Enzo would say ;) 

• Like 1