Maritime Patrol including Coastal Command GB Chat

13 hours ago, zebra said:

Great to see this one made it. I'll be in, probably with a Nimrod or a SAAF Turbo Dakleton! Or maybe the Stranraer... or another Walrus... or...

plenty of time to decide!

Both sound good Zebra, as you say, plenty of time :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lunish said:

Hi guys, i have on my stash a Heller E-3F/E-3B AWACS 1:72 scale, is it allow?

I'm afraid this one would not be allowed as the E-3's primary role is  'Airborne surveillance and C3 (command, control and communication).

Here is a general definition that I think sums up the role of Maritime Patrol:

A maritime patrol aircraft (MPA), also known as a patrol aircraft, maritime reconnaissance aircraft, or by the older American term patrol bomber, is a fixed-wing aircraft designed to operate for long durations over water in maritime patrol roles — in particular anti-submarine warfare (ASW), anti-ship warfare (AShW), and search and rescue (SAR).

• Like 2

On 01/02/2016 at 11:12 AM, SleeperService said:

Just found this. Count me in please. Would the single Bolingbrooke float plane used by one of the RCAF Catalina squadrons for a while count?? Intended for the Vac-form GB but life interfered. If not I shall have to think is there a 48th kit of the large float plane used by the Luftwaffe ASR during the BoB??

On 02/02/2016 at 11:08 AM, Robert Stuart said:

Bolingbroke float plane? Sort of, like a Blenhiem?

I can not see much about the Bolingbroke, but from what I can see, the aircraft on squadron service would be a good fit for this GB.

If you you know of a float plane version that fits the role, then I'd be intrigued to see that!

On 02/02/2016 at 3:22 PM, SleeperService said:

Hi Rob

Used as a floatplane by 5 (BR) squadron before conversion back to standard. This picture (and the others in the sequence) was taken before she went to the squadron.

I have been reliably informed that the Bolingbroke didn't actually fly any operations while with 5 (BR) Squadron. I need to organise a rapid change of plan.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I have been reliably informed that the Bolingbroke didn't actually fly any operations while with 5 (BR) Squadron. I need to organise a rapid change of plan.

OK, but you have the best part of a year to find another option - the GB starts in December 2018

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

OK, but you have the best part of a year to find another option - the GB starts in December 2018

Good news there. It appears my mammoth stash includes noting else suitable. I'm stunned. Time to start studying options I think.

• Like 1

Still haven't decided on my build, probably an RCAF Liberator from 10 (BR) Sqn or a 415 Sqn Hampden. I may go with a Blenheim or Beaufighter depending on which GBs it overlaps with, though.

Also planning to build a B-25 from a USAAF ASW squadron and a P-8 Poseidon next year, but those are slated for their respective STGBs...

• Like 3

I've been surprised by the number of eligible kits present in my stash.

I've already "eliminated" single engine aircraft, as I want to try for something big.

Pure CC, I've two different marks of Flying Fortresses, a Hudson, and  I'll certainly get Eduard's Limited Edition Liberator GR.

But I'm interested in Matchbox Stranraer, but wondering if there's anything available on the aftermarket, mainly in term of decals?

stranr10.jpg

• Like 2

I'm also interested in a FW 200C-4 Condor, more precisely F8+KR from 7./KG 40, that crashed 20km from my home at Saint Nicolas des Biefs on 20 july 1944, during a shuttle flight from La Rochelle to Germany. Was also coded GC+SL before. It was possibly shot down by USAAF fighters.

I've already done my own search, but does someone know where to source some decals? It seems that I'll need to mix some Printscale and Xtradecal sheets.

fw_20010.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Antoine said:

I'm also interested in a FW 200C-4 Condor, more precisely F8+KR from 7./KG 40, that crashed 20km from my home at Saint Nicolas des Biefs on 20 july 1944, during a shuttle flight from La Rochelle to Germany. Was also coded GC+SL before. It was possibly shot down by USAAF fighters.

I've already done my own search, but does someone know where to source some decals? It seems that I'll need to mix some Printscale and Xtradecal sheets.

fw_20010.jpg

Antoine,

Interesting subject, I also found some decals by LF Models for a few FW 200s including a sheet for GC+SJ

@Antoine, does this page help - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampfgeschwader_40

Kampfgeschwader 40 (KG 40) was a Luftwaffe medium and heavy bomber wing of World War II, and the primary maritime patrol unit of any size within the World War II Luftwaffe. It is best remembered as the unit operating a majority of the four-engine Focke-Wulf Fw 200 Condor maritime patrol bombers. The unit suffered from the poor serviceability and low production rates of the Fw 200 bombers, and from repeated diversion of its long-haul capability aircraft to undertake transport duties in various theatres, especially for the airlift operations to supply encircled forces in the Battle of Stalingrad.

{snip}

On 18 July 1941 the Fw 200C with combat wing code (Geschwaderkennung) of 'F8+AB' (and the crew of Hpt. Fritz Fliegel) were lost to AA fire while attacked by a CAM Ship Hurricane. On 3 August 1941 the 3.Staffel's 'F8+CL' was damaged in combat with another CAM Hurricane flown by Lt. R. Everett RNVR launched by HMS Maplin and crash-landed in France with two dead and one injured aboard. On 1 Nov 1942 the SS Empire Heath in convoy HG-91 launched her Sea Hurricane flown by F/O Norman Taylor DFM to chase the Focke-Wulf Fw 200C 'F8+DS' of 7./KG 40. The aircraft flown by Oblt. Arno Gross was shot down, with no survivors.

(my underlining)

The primary role was maritime patrol ...

The Stranrear is an attractive kit, though I'm not sure there are any AM decals for the maritime patrol role.

If you go for it, you might want to replace the larger door on the starboard hull with a window - the door was a post war modification to civilianised aircraft.

2017stranraer_05a.jpg

(reminds me ... :innocent:)

23 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Been looking for an excuse to tackle this...

(sniped - Roden Felixtow}

Looks good, which scheme will you pick?

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Would the new Airfix B-25 be eligible if it was done in the boxart scheme of an anti-submarine squadron?

Can't see why not Enzo, unless somebody knows better ... I'm guessing they'd have to be on patrol to catch a sub (or even, to act as a deterrent)

That's a good looking scheme too

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Hi Robert,

I fully know about KG 40 role, I'm just wondering about this specific Condor, shot down on a shuttle flight to Germany.

OK Antoine, I think we can trust your judgement on this one :)

51 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Does an ATR 42 from the Italian Guardia di Finanza be eligible for this GB?

[The Guardia di Finanza] maintains over 600 boats and ships and more than 100 aircraft to serve in its mission of patrolling Italy's territorial waters.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardia_di_Finanza

That sounds interesting Lex77, and a bit different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lex77 said:

Does an ATR 42 from the Italian Guardia di Finanza be eligible for this GB?

I saw one of these Italeri kits in the Local model shop and was tempted by it. Might have to pop by and take it home.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2016 at 11:12 AM, SleeperService said:

Just found this. Count me in please. Would the single Bolingbrooke float plane used by one of the RCAF Catalina squadrons for a while count?? Intended for the Vac-form GB but life interfered. If not I shall have to think is there a 48th kit of the large float plane used by the Luftwaffe ASR during the BoB??

On 06/12/2017 at 3:24 PM, SleeperService said:

On 06/12/2017 at 3:54 PM, Robert Stuart said:

On 06/12/2017 at 4:55 PM, SleeperService said:

Good news there. It appears my mammoth stash includes noting else suitable. I'm stunned. Time to start studying options I think.

Much to my relief I've managed to rustle up a Signifer Grumman Goose using funds raised from selling a couple of kits. Just need to find a suitable squadron for it.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 7:34 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

Would the new Airfix B-25 be eligible if it was done in the boxart scheme of an anti-submarine squadron?

Why not?

Just make it a PBJ-1C, the conversion should be easy as you can source a nose ASW radar from Obscureco.

On 14/12/2017 at 12:12 PM, SleeperService said:

Much to my relief I've managed to rustle up a Signifer Grumman Goose using funds raised from selling a couple of kits. Just need to find a suitable squadron for it.

What about an Anson, they were used by Coastal Command ?

cheers Pat

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

cheers Pat

I may need to do that. 749 Squadron appears to be the only operator and was a Royal Navy training squadron. The other user was 24 Squadron RAF which used a few impressed planes for communications and VIP transport. Looks like Plan C is needed, the curse of wanting to be different.

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

cheers Pat

I may need to do that. 749 Squadron appears to be the only operator and was a Royal Navy training squadron. The other user was 24 Squadron RAF which used a few impressed planes for communications and VIP transport. Looks like Plan C is needed, the curse of wanting to be different.

• Like 1