Airfix Blenheim

Picked this up for a fiver at farnborough yesterday.

DSC_0930_zps6ef0d3c4.jpg

Sanded off all the rivets and had a go at rescribing a couple of panel lines, with very mixed results. I might leave it bald. Any secret tips on scribing welcome, but I suspect it's just a matter of patience and perseverance.

I might jazz up the cockpit a bit, but that will be all.

Pete

• Like 2

Evening Pete

Great choice, I got given one of these that had been started a bit and abandoned, I was really tempted to do it for this build so will enjoy watching this one :popcorn:

But ssshhhh Don't tell Enzo or he will be trying to get me to do both, :shutup:

Cheers Pat

Nice choice Potato Pete. Scribing...well...I've found that the Trumpeter fine line scriber makes a fantastic cheap tool. Cuts out a fine hair of plastic in one pass. I use Dyno tape or 15 thou plasticard to make a straight guide. For hatches etc. take a tip from elsewhere on this site and use clear acetate from food packaging to make a template.

A bit of practice on the inside of the wings and you're good to go, just take it slowly.

Good luck with this one.

It was one of these that got me back into modelling a few years ago. :thumbsup:
I used quite a bit of filler on the lower fuselage join but otherwise it was fine, apart from the rivets of course. On mine the transparent parts were not very clear.

Good choice.

Jon

Yes, 'take it slowly' is the best tip there is for scribing. I find it fairly straightforward to scribe lines on flattish surfaces such as wings and lengthwise on the fuselage but so far have failed to master lines going around the fuselage. A flexible metal ruler is useful on the flat. Start with light but accurate strokes and build up. I use a needle in a pin vice to start off and use an Olfa P-cutter to firm it up. Dymo tape is widely used as a guide but I find it lacks adhesion. 3M tape is better in this respect but isn't quite tough enough. Some people recommend the tape to put stripes on boy racer cars as being perfect for the job but I haven't tried that. Have a go, whatever you do, it'll look better than the rivets.

John.

The canopy can be an absolute blighter to fit on this one.....Your kit looks nice and old so it should be OK, newer releases of this kit can be horrendous! :shutup:

I notice you've got a wooden work surface, careful with the CA, it bonds Blenheims to wood amazingly well.....Ask me how I know! :chair:

Good luck with the build, will be watching with interest to see how you deal with all the issues that defeated me. :popcorn:

Thanks for the scribing tips gents. I'm using Dymo tape, I probably just need to take things more slowly. So all my previous attempts have been filled and sanded, and a coat of primer applied, so I can at least see what I'm doing now.

Cheers

Pete

Sorry I only gave part of the information I intended to :banghead: Got distracted by the Goddess Nigella on the telly :heart::Tasty::worthy:

I use bluetack under the Dynotape to level it off and hold it while I scribe, sometimes masking tape. Little balls or a sausage of bluetack will level off the tape on a curved surface thus:

9912425835_f01b54ec3b_c.jpg

When I've got the tape in position I run a drawing pen down the edge to make sure I'm scribing where I want to. Then go gently. Note that I rarely use the dyno adhesive as I agree with johnd that the adhesive isn't really strong enough.

Personally I find the Olfa cutter a bit heavy for aircraft but use it on AFVs all the time. Thankfully we live in a Free Country.

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK, finally some progress. I've rescribed the wings and fuselage with a very basic pattern and today was spent fiddling with the cockpit.

photo_zps2ed86894.jpg

photo-1_zpsefc9472a.jpg

Then tried dry fitting the canopy, which as expected, doesn't really fit. The fuselage tapers quite significantly compared to the canopy. So is the fuselage too narrow or is the canopy too wide?

Furthermore, you can't see any of the detailing i've done (even if it is a bit imaginative). So, if I'm going down the vacformed canopy route, which option is better the Falcon or the squadron set? Never had much joy with vacformed canopies.....

• Like 1

OK, finally some progress. I've rescribed the wings and fuselage with a very basic pattern and today was spent fiddling with the cockpit.

photo_zps2ed86894.jpg

photo-1_zpsefc9472a.jpg

Then tried dry fitting the canopy, which as expected, doesn't really fit. The fuselage tapers quite significantly compared to the canopy. So is the fuselage too narrow or is the canopy too wide?

Furthermore, you can't see any of the detailing i've done (even if it is a bit imaginative). So, if I'm going down the vacformed canopy route, which option is better the Falcon or the squadron set? Never had much joy with vacformed canopies.....

The Falcon and Squadron items are actually one and the same.

Martin