Perseverance the Percival Proctor IV Trainer Frog / Novo

JOCKNEY

OK here we go, first time of starting on of these so bound to make a c*ck of it.

Apologies for the late start to this my first GB, I lost my dad 2 weeks ago unexpectedly and my world seems to have been turned upside down ever since. This GB is a very welcome distraction from everything else going on at the moment.

I have had this kit for longer that I can remember, I think I bought it as a nipper from a newsagent in Tottenham High Road, and despite many house moves and now living in The Scottish highlands it has survived intact, with no bits missing ( yet !)

IMG_4761

IMG_4762

Thanks Guys

This will be an old school out of the box build, complete with a selection of hairy sticks for applying the equally old enamel paints. :clif:

Likely problems would appear to be the decals have not aged well ( insert own sarky comment :wicked: ) and the clear parts, aren't very clear at all. I have heard lots of you mentioning wonder liquids for resurrecting clear parts, suggestions very welcome.

There would certainly be lots of scope for those of you keen on adding interior detail you don't even get a dashboard let alone controls.

Pics of decals and unclear parts attached

IMG_4757

IMG_4755

Falcon to the rescue again: http://www.falconmodels.co.nz/clearvax/set22.html if the wonder fluids don't work here's Plan B. My Plan A involves a trip to the cosmetics section. Get a nail buffer and polish away. Really cheap, really good and memories of using nail files to fettle your styrene. Oh and the ringing in your ears when you got a smack round the head for pinching it!

Don't take this the wrong way but those aren't decals, they are evil modelling spirits in decal form. Find a suitable receptacle and throw them in with some Holy Water to be on the safe side.

I got mine from a shop on the Edgware Road the decals were garbage 30 years ago, I doubt they've improved....

You made it to Scotland I got to Long Eaton :ninja: Nice to go out and not listen to people droning on about how much their 'property' is worth :fight:

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip SS really appreciated, that falcon kits looks to have other goodies which may be handy for other future builds.

I'm taking this whole Scots money management reputation to a new level :D

Really enjoyed the comment about the property, yes all the time I get told what my place would now be worth had I stayed in London. The normal reply ( that's repeatable here ) is yes but our house has a beach at the bottom of the garden, which is a neat trick if you can pull that one off in a city ! :tease:

Good news I have made a start ( pics later) the crew members seem to have shrunk since I last did a 1/72 kit. Previously when I used to paint I was able to pick out goggles, belts etc now I cant see where the boots end and the trousers begin. :clif:

• Like 1

Good luck Pat - those decals look a bit scary; might be easier sticking bits from a box of cornflakes on instead!

Pete

• Like 3

Thanks guys, can I suggest none of you plan a career change to social work or counselling, the chemists and undertakers would be run off their feet :weep:

Other roundals in the spares box seem too big, however a good bit to do before I need to worry.

It's great reading other people's posts, theirs normally someone worse off that you..........if you're lucky !

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip SS really appreciated, that falcon kits looks to have other goodies which may be handy for other future builds.

I'm taking this whole Scots money management reputation to a new level :D

Really enjoyed the comment about the property, yes all the time I get told what my place would now be worth had I stayed in London. The normal reply ( that's repeatable here ) is yes but our house has a beach at the bottom of the garden, which is a neat trick if you can pull that one off in a city ! :tease:

Good news I have made a start ( pics later) the crew members seem to have shrunk since I last did a 1/72 kit. Previously when I used to paint I was able to pick out goggles, belts etc now I cant see where the boots end and the trousers begin. :clif:

Ah. the infamous Frog 'blob' pilots!! I had those in my Ju 87 - discarded!

This is one of the Frog's I haven't got yet!! will be watching this with some interest!!

Have you tried the IPMS decal bank for replacement Frog decals - Novo ones never work. Even with film in most cases, and they'll be off register, and badly coloured!!

Good luck! It's always fun making a Novo kit, honest!!

• Like 1

First off, sorry to hear of your bereavement, but a bit of mindless sticking bits of plastic together will be a welcome diversion.

I built this many years ago in this Novo guise and the 'transfers' are utter crud. You would be justified in dipping into your spares box.

Back in the early 80's Scale Modelling did a build an as far as I recall the only accuracy shortcoming was the legs which are underfed and whoever did the article used laminated plastic card to build the legs from scratch, but since you are doing old skool that doesn't matter.

Trevor

• Like 1

• Correct - my mistake!!! A mixture of resin, white metal and a vacform canopy in a small box. Should make a delightful model when built.

It is a lovely kit but the canopy goes on a bit funny. Mike (who passed away this week) made it so that there was no visable join line because it joins half way down the fuselage and then the joint is blended in. It is hard to explain but it becomes clear when you see the kit.There is no resin just the white metal and plastic + the vacform canopy

Rodders

Pat,

The Decals.....

As I advised the other guy on here who is building a Novo Beaufighter, the decals WILL break up when soaked. That is a given. Make sure you varnish the sheet first before soaking and maybe as a backup, scan it digitally so that you still have the image stored.

Not sure why all Novo decals were unvarnished but it seems odd. I remember my dismay when the irreplaceable Ryan 'Spirit of St Louis' decals vanished on me back in the late '70s when I built it. "Once bitten......"

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your dad Pat, it's a hard loss to bear; I tend to think about the good times I had with mine - and also the times I got a right bollocking too, for some reason it really helped; as long as they are remembered, they are never gone.

anyway, about sticking cornflakes on as decals...

• Like 1

• Correct - my mistake!!! A mixture of resin, white metal and a vacform canopy in a small box. Should make a delightful model when built.

Ooooooooooh get you with the posh version ! You obviously have the Cathay Pacific version, however I have the Ryanair version complete with as has been pointed out one poor bigger having to stand as there are only 3 seats (a bit like rush hour on the tube) .

Rodders Thanks for the photo of the real thing, it looks really good and going by the sunshine was definitely taken south of Hadrian's Wall .

Thanks for all the advice 're the decals I will scan them, and try the coating to preserve them, think it will be safer to change them, sorry about the Spirit of St Louis decals it must have been traumatic if you can still remember it after 40 years !

Can I just say a sincere thank you for all the kind words about my dad, I appreciate it's really difficult to know what to say and that's for me too. It still hasn't sunk in but expect it will do you in its own good time, great memories including the b*llockings makes you very reflective about the relationship you have with your own kids if you are lucky enough to have some.

Sorry for this posting started in humour finished in reflection...

Best wishes Pat

Nothing wrong with reflecting Pat, I still think of my dad every day and he went 20 years ago, mostly when I need some info on a model lol - after 23 years in the RAF he knew everything there was to know about Hunters, Vampires & Meteors!!

I can have a scour through my decal bank for some roundels of a similar size if thats any use?

cheers

Si