Smer Walrus

Jessica

Putsy Putsy was grounded due to an engine failure. Unaware that stacks of surplus engines were available at RCN station Shearwater, the owners sold it, and it ended its days as a houseboat on Gander Lake in Newfoundland.

If the wings don't work out, I could always make the boat version... :whistle:

• Like 1

Nice work Jessica. I like it a lot!
That I have missed this one before. I must be blind. B)

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

I keep coming back to look at the coke-bottle canopy, and the more I look at it, the more I think that I can't stand the thought of actually using the beast. At some time the mould rusted, leaving behind an awful rash inside it which leaves it less than clear

walrus_33.jpg

So I've concocted a cunning plan...

walrus_32.jpg

Of course, it could still all go pear shaped.

• Like 1

I like the way your cunning plan is shaping up, ooks more of a peach than a pear if you get my meaning, the flat panels of the canopy lend themselves well to what I think you are about to do.

Looking good so far. Have you thought of plunge moulding? When (hah!) I get round to mine, I'm considering that method. I would mould a couple so I could cut open the side panels.

Trevor

The instrument panel looks great. I love the compass! You might be able to fold a lot of the canopy if you can find some thin enough sheet, but sticking it together would be the hard bit. Vac forming might be easier - vertical sides and plunge moulding don't mix in my experience.

Regards,

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Adrian about the plunge moulding, There is an alternative cunning plan. Have you a dental technicians nearby? They use vac forming for dentures. The one just down the road uses clear sheet as well. Cost me two packets of chocolate HobNobs. The vac-forming gadget they use can be had for about £100 off ebay so could be a good club purchase.

That sounds very posh.....The mob I worked for packed 'em in a tatty Ziploc if you were lucky! :wicked:

A job long departed and not even slightly missed.....It was like living in the Tooth Fairy's nightmares! :shutup:

The gadgets were good though.....I really do miss my KaVo desk & handpiece. :weep:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Some goings-on have been going on in Walrusville. The wings are sanded, likely needing to be sanded some more. The green was to show how much I took off, and how much more needs to go

walrus_34.jpg

The engine pylons go on. These needed some severe carving out of their flash

walrus_35.jpg

A test fit The wings are a trifle sloppy in their sockets

walrus_36.jpg

Sloppy and floppy though it be, it's beginning to look like a walrus as long as I squint in the dark

walrus_37.jpg

Now my challenge is to make a canopy frame without gluing it irretrievably to the fuselage in the process. Foil will likely be involved.

Edited by Jessica

Looking so good Jessica!

I like the idea of painting the wings to use as a guide to how much needs removal. What tool have you used, a sanding block or a rasp?

When I look at the specimen in my to-do pile I wonder whether scratch building with plastic card and a balsa wood core would be easier!

Will you be cutting out the bomb recesses in the wings as the kit doesn't have them but every photo I've seen of the wings do?

Jess your perserverence is inspiring (and probably perspiring too).

Trevor

I used my dreaded BHF*, then a sheet of wet'n dry because I can't find the sanding sponge I was going to use. I'll be going with the assumption that since this was a civil conversion the bomb recesses would have been covered over. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

*BHF= Big Honkin' File

• 2 weeks later...

My first cumming plan involving building the frames from plastic strip was completely and utterly unsuccessful. Undeterred, I turned to my second cunning plan, and using the tape outlines, cut a canopy out of clear acetate. After coating it with Future, I'll attempt to superglue it to the model, hopefully without supergluing the model to my fingers in the process.

walrus_38.jpg

Edited by Jessica