Smer Walrus

Jessica

Now that my choice of kit has been approved I can get cracking :)

This is the Smer Supermarine Walrus of loving memory

walrus_1.jpg

A peek inside the box showing that wonderful 1960s detail

walrus_2.jpg

And what I've done so far. I've filled in the egregious engraved surface detail, including the "paint the roundels here" grooves

walrus_3.jpg

Inside, I've glued in styrene rod where the stringers and formers go, following the general shape of the exterior engraving

walrus_4.jpg

The wings are assembled, cleaned up and the roundel position marks are filled

walrus_5.jpg

The engine nacelle is joined and the gaping air intake has a nice little screen

walrus_6.jpg

And lastly the incredibly detailed (choke) interior bulkheads have been glued to the floor

walrus_7.jpg

This is going to be a mostly old-school build. All the aftermarket I'm using will be a pair of seats and some leftover instrument decals

walrus_8.jpg

Plus a real rarity. This is a pre-production sample of the old Whisky Jack Decals sheet for Kenting Aviation's "Putsy Putsy"

walrus_9.jpg

Thanks to this build I can stop faffing about and actually finish this beast :)

• Like 1

Michty me! That is a relic of times gone by. Who needs a decal placement diagram when you can engrave it on the parts. You going for a full detail epic or more of a tidy up and make it less of a yawning great hole inside build?

I'm going for a "if it can be seen it should be there" level of detail. The rear hatch is going to be closed, so there's not much need to detail the rear fuselage but there's room to see into the nose and cockpit so there's going to be busyness in there to draw the eye.

I've got this as well. Different box but the same plastic.

I'm still exhausted filling in the scribed detail. I think lashings of Mr. Surfacer will be in order.

For the wings are you leaving the saggy fabric look or doing what I'm contemplating, a rasp being wielded freely over the surface?!

I'm tagging this one

Best of luck!

Trevor

Good luck on this one J!

Pete

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Best of luck !!!

I did their Swordfish many moons ago and rigged it with stretched sprue.............. still in rehab.

Blooming Nora Jenko, I've got the swordfish kits is it really that bad ?

I nearly dropped me coco when I read your post :clif:

It's much like this one. The shapes are acceptable but the details are...well, they aren't, that's what they are. There's next to nothing for an interior, the engine and Vickers gun are vaguely engine-shaped and gun-shaped lumps and there's only floats in the box. There used to be a metal update set available from Aeroclub which addresses the engine, wheels and gun but you still need to find an interior from somewhere.

• Like 1

I built one of these a couple of years ago. Come to think of it, I still have a bit to do.

As for the wing ribs, I sanded them right down to almost zip.

My problem was, and still is, is the cockpit canopy. The mullions are really heavy.

Good luck, it does turn into a impressive model. Hard to believe it is from the same stable as the Supermarine Spitfire.

Edited by Richard B.

My word, good luck with this one Jessica. I had a similar issue when I did my Testors Laird Solution in the Interwar GB

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234925456-148-laird-solution-finished/

I used fine tape, smothered in primer and gently sanded to re-apply the ribbing.

Walrus, meet Dremel tool, Dremel tool meet Walrus. Starving cow ribs, meet your doom. :P

Swarf everywhere! Isn't modelling fun. Maybe a face mask or dremelling outside is in order?

I think a prize for perseverance is due to you.

(B)

Trevor

Although this kit is light on detail, the shape is pretty much spot on. With a bit of work you should end up with a pretty impressive model. Looking forward to how this one progresses.

Martin

Although this kit is light on detail, the shape is pretty much spot on. With a bit of work you should end up with a pretty impressive model. Looking forward to how this one progresses.

Martin

I only ever came across one set of plans in 1/48 and they were in Scale Aircraft Modelling. Claimed to be 1/48 they were nothing of the sort. However a set of 1/72 plans in Aviation News blown up (by 150%) show the Smer moulds to be well nigh spot on.

Any pictures yet Jessica?

Trevor

I build he builds you do he as you are me and we all build together.
See how they run from kits like this one, see how they fly.
I'm crying.

Sitting at my workbench, waiting for the van to come.
Fitting parts together, stupid bloody tuesday.
Man, you got a rotten kit, you made an awful choice.
I place the parts here, they place the parts there.
I build the Walrus, goo goo g'joob.

:evil_laugh:

• Like 6