Leading Edge Wing Decals - Applying

uggywuggy

Hi All

I've started appying decals to my 1/72 Airfix Typhoon IB and hit a small snag with the leading edge wing decals. These are the yellow strips which stretch along the leading edge from the outer tip of the wing to the cannons.

Problem is even using Humbrol DecalFix the decals don't seem to become soft enough to fold over the wing - maybe I need to soak them for longer ?

Any advice appreciated !

Cheers

I've just responded to another Typhoon build where you ask about this issue. Warmer water helps to soften decals or add more decal solution like the MicroSol /Microset liquidss or Mr Set or Mr softer.

Borrow a hand-held hair drier from the lady in your life, set on the lowest warm setting. I find this usually softens the decals up a treat, and persuades then to fold over curves more easily. Just be careful!!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Had the same problem with the Typhoon kit today. Tried various decal solutions, but couldn't get anything to work. In the end I had to bin them as they started to break up. 

It was frustrating me all day so had a quick google to see if I had missed something obvious and this thread came up. At least it's not just me that's struggled with them and the kit still looks ok without them on. 

I use Klear to bed my decals with, on these leading edge decals, also red gun port patches etc, I position the decal so the top edge is in the right place then wait a minute or three till the Klear goes a bit tacky then roll the decal into place carefully. This has worked well on several builds now. Klear diluted about 40% with water to stop it grabbing too quick.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

The 1:72 Typhoon was the first kit I ever made and very nearly the last after the fight I had with those decals...in the end I gave up and painted them and I'd do the same every time now...mind you, painting yellow isn't always a gimme