*** Italeri Ju188A/E: finished! Thank goodness.***

mike romeo

Having seen one of these kits build without modification at a show on Sunday my eye was instantly drawn to the tapered cowls. Your work really has done wonders for it Martin.

Thanks, Col!

• 2 weeks later...

So, with Telford and family business out of the way, I can now get back to my builds. The '188 has had a coat of primer and then some attention given to varous seams, particularly those between the engine cowlings and nacelles. Here's how it looks on the underside before paint:

DSCF5526_zps91c5af1a.jpg

And here's the top after 4 - 5 thin brushed coat of Xtracrylix RLM76.

DSCF5525_zps23ee7719.jpg

Next event is the RLM66 cross-hatching and then attaching the canopies.

regards,

Martin

Spent more time recently on the '219, so things are going slowly on the '188. To tell the truth, I was scared of trying to do the black / dark grey cross-hatching on the upper surfaces using only a hairy stick. Well, I was right to be scared. Here's the result below after 3 coats of progressively less-thinned paint using progressively narrower brushes:

DSCF5536_zpsfb93ba74.jpg

It sort of looks OK from the proverbial 2 feet distance, but any closer and it looks like what it is. I will probably go onto the replacement wing with the splinter pattern next, but I'm quite keen to try some stippling with heavily thinned paint on the cross-hatching later. The problem is, that probably needs to be done with a matt finish, so I may give it a blast of matt varnish beforehand,stipple to my heart's content, then use klear before decalling.

Anyone got any better suggestions?

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Now you have the pattern set out I'm sure it'll go grand. Certainly is an unusual scheme and one that will be a worthwhile reward for all your efforts once done.

for stippling I tend to use unthinned paint and a nearly dry paintbrush that has been cut down to about 1/8 inch long. Apply with a stabbing motion and gradually the paint will build up. Here's a couple of examples:

54358bb2.jpg

yak-9-front-left_zpsc8bc83f3.jpg

The 410 pic is a bit old and dark, sorry. The Yak isn't a fine stipple but all the dark grey was applied like that to keep the finish the same as the edges.

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for that. Here's about where I got to tonight; I may go over it again, but I doubt I'll get it too much better than where I've got to.

DSCF5538_zps9165b801.jpg

Both of your examples look great, btw!

reards,

Martin

I did a bit more on the squiggle mottle, trying to sharpen up the stippling, then did the black undersides. That's finished; I may do some more stippling on the upper / lower camo boundary tomorrow. Transparencies have been kleared and are just placed on at the moment.

DSCF5542_zps11ae9fa3.jpg

DSCF5543_zps5ce64af6.jpg

It's far from a masterpiece, but it's been quite a complicated scheme to do convincingly with a hairy stick. What do you think?

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

That is looking very nice :thumbsup2: having the wing in a different scheme makes a welcome and unusual touch. I'd second Adrian's cut down brush idea, it may be worth a try on top of what you've done. I like your idea of thinner edges to the stripes, I found the transition can be a bit abrupt and your idea may make all the difference.

Don't beat yourself up about the finish, we're building obsolete kits not £100 300 part styrene state of the art replicas. I'm getting more out of my effort through trying new techniques, filler and sanding practice and so on. It's been a blast for me even if a little frustrating at times. I hope you feel the same way sooner rather than later.

I've got a Revell 1/72 Canberra to use as my next safety valve. Oh and I've got two Shelf Queens finished except for weathering (a new thing for me) and am cracking on with number 3. But as long as you enjoy what you're doing that is what matters. :thumbsup:

That is looking very nice :thumbsup2: having the wing in a different scheme makes a welcome and unusual touch. I'd second Adrian's cut down brush idea, it may be worth a try on top of what you've done. I like your idea of thinner edges to the stripes, I found the transition can be a bit abrupt and your idea may make all the difference.

Don't beat yourself up about the finish, we're building obsolete kits not £100 300 part styrene state of the art replicas. I'm getting more out of my effort through trying new techniques, filler and sanding practice and so on. It's been a blast for me even if a little frustrating at times. I hope you feel the same way sooner rather than later.

I've got a Revell 1/72 Canberra to use as my next safety valve. Oh and I've got two Shelf Queens finished except for weathering (a new thing for me) and am cracking on with number 3. But as long as you enjoy what you're doing that is what matters. :thumbsup:

Nick,

Thanks for your comments. The '188 doesn't look bad - it just doesn't look as nice as it could have if I had - and knew how to use - an airbrush. Oh well. Re the cut-down brush, that's exactly what I'm currently using.

I really want to get this finished and get on with the '219, but modelling time is a bit scarce at the moment.

regards,

Martin

Thank you, chaps!

Endeavouring to finish the '188 by the end of the GB, over the last couple of nights I've taken the bull by the horns and a rather nice Shiraz by the glass, and painted the canopy framing first in acrylic RLM66 and then in RLM76, with a sharpened cocktail stick to correct any major errors. The final result is as per the pictures below. Looks fine at scale distance, but don't look too closely!

DSCF5561_zps5c916d16.jpg

DSCF5564_zps1299cf90.jpg

Still to do: bomb load, decals, small bits and sorting out the glazing on the peilgerate. How the heck am I going to do that?

regards,

Martin

OK, squeaking in close to the wire is the Italeri Ju 188A, with Jumo engine nacelles and props courtesy of the Hasegawa '188, AIMS '188 decals and my very own hairy stick attempt at an airbrushed finish. Although it lacks an aerial mast or two, I'm calling it done.

While the kit is not without its shape issues (the aforementioned engine nacelles being just one) it'd be a fun build oob. I now realise that with bombs on it sits too high, but I'm not going to do anything about oleo length now. Unlike more recent Italeri releases, the fit was pretty good all the way through, although some of the butt joints required (instrument panel on the front part of the canopy, and the armament supports!) were interesting.

Anyway, while not my best build or finish, I'll be happy to get it in the cabinet (towards the back, obviously).

Here's the pics.

DSCF5569_zps1ff4de33.jpg

DSCF5572_zpsbe3ec160.jpg

DSCF5578_zps84e500fe.jpg

Thanks for letting me play.

regards,

Martin

• Like 2

Nice finish - I love the swirly line Luftwaffe paint jobs. :goodjob:

Thank you! I like also the sponge mottle you've done on the '190D. I'm definitely going to give that technique a try in future!

regards,

Martin