Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon 1b

tinytuco

Hi all,

My second effort of three in this gb (the one I'm dreading second most) is the Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon 1b

The relatively new box flatters to deceive.... It harbors a kit that I'm sure many of you are familiar with - and has been doing the rounds since 1959 - yes a 54 year old kit.. :waiting:

I will be trying to add some photo etch to this (my first ever time working with 1/72 etch) and maybe some aftermarket decals - that is if the kit hasn't beaten me by the time we get to that stage.... :crying:

As in my other builds please keep your expectations low - my aim is to complete not to impress!!!!

Let's have a look what joys await.......

The box...

DSC_01661.jpg

The Sprues -

DSC_01681.jpg

A closer shot of the sprue with the prop - What is that around the base of the prop? Flash or detail? Does it stay or does it go??

DSC_01691.jpg

finally instructions, decals and a rather thick looking transparent blob......

DSC_01711.jpg

Any help on known pitfalls and advice would as always be much appreciated..

However this may not be a place for the purist - things could get messy!!!

Thanks

Tuco :winkgrin:

Edited by tinytuco
  • Like 1

The relatively new box flatters to deceive.... It harbors a kit that I'm sure many of you are familiar with - and has been doing the rounds since 1959 - yes a 54 year old kit.. :waiting:

er... and has this been replaced by a newer kit...... :fool:

As in my other builds please keep your expectations low - my aim is to complete not to impress!!!!

Oncorrect. Your aim is to have fun. But I think you've got that well in hand. :D

Hi all,

Made a start on the Typhoon tonight...

Unfortunately, this was Airfix's idea of a cockpit back in 1959.....

DSC_01801.jpg

Fortunately the postman came this morning and delivered these........

DSC_01791.jpg

So I have some decent decals and some photo etch......

Having never really worked with 1/72 etch (and non pre painted etch) before i was a little confused about how to go about things, but decided to build things up before priming.... Here is the cockpit so far (made a mess of the footplates)..... :oops:

DSC_01851.jpg

And the seat made up (which HAS to be better than the kit offering)......

DSC_01901.jpg

The size of the parts is an absolute nightmare - it's taken me hours to get this far - but at least she is started.. :thumbsup2:

I've done some priming of other parts, plus i managed to source a vac form canopy (another first for me to work with....) that will replace the kits transparent blob.........

Further updates to follow!!!!

Go for it, looking good ...sadly, with old(er) age, the worse our eyesight gets, the bigger and fatter our fingers become; but the fun(!) remains the same.

Pete

Will you be converting this into a car-door canopy to use the new decals (not that such a detail matters on a build like this)?

Edit: now that I think about it, I have a spare car door canopy from the Brengun. PM if you're interested, and I'll put it in the post.

Edited by ben_m

Go Tuco!! :partytime::clap2:

I like the build up to the main event, unless sanity has kicked in about Mr Merlin's finest......

Been told to pack a vac-form canopy with blue-tack or plasticine to make it easier to work with.

Good to see somebody else polishing a :shit:

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 2

Been told to pack a vac-form canopy with blue-tack or plasticine to make it easier to work with.

Oooh! What a cracking idea!

Yassee... this is why I love BM. There's always something new to learn.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement - The wheel wells (or lack of) ((basically a big hole)) have been my recent conquest....

The airwaves etch did have an upgrade for these, but my woeful lack of talent means I couldn't possibly get them to fit properly (spent hours trying to do so) So after much swearing and spitting my dummy out - The milliput made an appearance....... (I also repaired the ejector marks that were pretty horrific...)

DSC_01951.jpg

DSC_01931.jpg

These don't look the best - But once I have tidied them up a bit at least gives me a basis to add some detail (inaccurate at best)

In hindsight I think I would of added the airwaves etch BEFORE I joined the wings together.. :oops:

You live and learn - and this is VERY MUCH a learning curve..

On a sidenote never worked with milliput before - but i like it seems to behave nicely.. Will see how it behaves when I attack it with a file.....

Thanks for looking...

PS - Thanks to all that offered but I have sourced a vac form canopy - But please leave the kind offers open - I may well make a mess of these!!! :undecided:

Edited by tinytuco

I managed to get the wheel well floor in on mine but the sides defeated me too.

Were you aware that the bomb 'gondala' things are in the wrong place and too big?

John.

Last time I attempted this beast, I used strips of thin plastic sheet cut to the right depth & length. then a little bit at a time, stuck them around the edge of the wheel wells. Then stuck the roof on. Fiddly but it worked very well. All I had to do was trim off the excess level with the wing.

Allan

Tiny,

Great start! You've chosen a challenging kit, that's for sure!

I'm not sure of the etiquette of posting a link to another site (ATF - mods, do your stuff if I have made a boo-boo) but you may find some information of interest at the link. I personally think Peebeep's build is an inspiration and shows what can be done with the kit (mind you, it took him a long time!).

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewforum.php?f=134'>http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewforum.php?f=134

HTH.

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Tiny,

Great start! You've chosen a challenging kit, that's for sure!

I'm not sure of the etiquette of posting a link to another site (ATF - mods, do your stuff if I have made a boo-boo) but you may find some information of interest at the link. I personally think Peebeep's build is an inspiration and shows what can be done with the kit (mind you, it took him a long time!).

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewforum.php?f=134

HTH.

regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin,

Indeed there is some really interesting info there - i will take a good close look cheers!!!!

Hi all,

Did some more work to the typhoon tonight - and encountered a few problems!! But before the problems - here is what I have done so far....

Added some detail to the wheel wells (with some mr surfacer to get rid of the ejector pin marks for good)....

DSC_02171.jpg

Painted the seat belts..........

DSC_02191.jpg

And now the problem... I did some more work to the photo etch pit, (more bits added and primed) and did a test fit just to see....

Needless to say there is nothing in the instructions as to how this fits, and this is how it looks....

1f1c7e22-e8ba-4ee8-8759-7ddae49f4585.jpg

The rear bulkhead (thanks Jessica) looks WAY too big.... And the pit in general doesn't seem to fit at all - (it's also too wide the fuselage doesn't close up properly) Am i missing something here???

Anybody know how this is supposed to fit in?? All help is gratefully received!!!

Thanks

Edited by tinytuco

IIRC you need to thin down the armour-plated fuselage sides in order for the cockpit to fit properly. Is that rear bulkhead a separate part? If so can it be taken out and trimmed down to fit? You'll probably also need a vac canopy in order for it to fit properly. The kit canopy is if anything even thicker than the fuselage sides.