Eddie Rickenbacker Nieuport 28

TerryJones

Described as the 'most elegant airplane of the First World War' the Nieuport 28 was rejected by the French Air Service as a front line fighter but as it was readly available it was supplied to the American Expeditionary Air Force. With 26 kills exlinkon.gifEddie Rickenbacker was America's most successful fighter ace of the war scoring the first 6 with the Nieuport 28. The painting depicts Rickenbacker and 94th Aero Squadron "Hat In The Ring" in combat with the Pfalz DII. Rickenbacker survived the war and died in 1973.

"Rickenbacker" oil on canvas 22" x 18"
373e6e61-d19f-4c87-9596-bde01f4e5091_zps
Cheers,
Terry
  • Like 1

Terry Jones strikes one more time!!!

Seems that your images are getting better and better Terry! I am not very much fan of WW1 airplanes, but surelly this image is one of the great paintings i 've ever seen!!

Good work!! Carry on!!!!! :frantic:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's really nice, Terry. The composition works well and the cloudscape, especially its perspective, looks spot on. Out of interest, how do you work out the angles of your subjects? Do you base them on photos, use models, or a bit of both (or neither)? I occasionally (very occasionally) try a bit of pencil drawing - I must post one - and might as well learn from the experts!

Jon

That's really nice, Terry. The composition works well and the cloudscape, especially its perspective, looks spot on. Out of interest, how do you work out the angles of your subjects? Do you base them on photos, use models, or a bit of both (or neither)? I occasionally (very occasionally) try a bit of pencil drawing - I must post one - and might as well learn from the experts!

Jon

Thanks Jon :) I use models quite a lot. The Nieuport is a very nice 1/32 scale model I bought off ebay, the Pfalz is a rather battered 1/48 kit that I also got off ebay a few years back, I used it in another painting. I have a couple of mic stands from a time I used to play in a band and mount the models on them with screws inserted into the underside of the fuselage. Once set up indoors or out I snap away with my camera and pick the ones I like. I have an old program called Ulead that allows me to cut and paste images and move them around etc. so after choosing a suitable sky it's a case of mucking around until I get a composition I like. Other paintings may be based on photographs and others using APM a perspective drawing aid developed by the late Joe De Marco (unfortunately his website is down at the moment) ,sometimes I use a combination,whatever works :) Hope that helps Jon.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry, that evoks all the thoughts of how WW1 dogfights were. A quite superb painting and the clouds effects in particular are very well rendered. Well done indeed.

Gary

Thanks for taking a look and leaving such kind comments Gary, much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Terry

Terry, fantastic work as always. However, I think you may have made a spelling mistake with the word aeroplane!

Colin

Airplane!!!! That's what you get for being lazy and pasting straight from wikki :)

Thanks for you comments mate, much appreciated.

Terry

Thanks Jon :) I use models quite a lot. The Nieuport is a very nice 1/32 scale model I bought off ebay, the Pfalz is a rather battered 1/48 kit that I also got off ebay a few years back, I used it in another painting. I have a couple of mic stands from a time I used to play in a band and mount the models on them with screws inserted into the underside of the fuselage. Once set up indoors or out I snap away with my camera and pick the ones I like. I have an old program called Ulead that allows me to cut and paste images and move them around etc. so after choosing a suitable sky it's a case of mucking around until I get a composition I like. Other paintings may be based on photographs and others using APM a perspective drawing aid developed by the late Joe De Marco (unfortunately his website is down at the moment) ,sometimes I use a combination,whatever works :) Hope that helps Jon.

It certainly does - very interesting, thanks.