Aftermarket Spitfire door - 1/48

Dan

Where would one find this part? Drawing blanks everywhere I've looked. It's a Mk.Vb I plan on building from hasegawa, I also have a Mk.VIII

My apologies if this is in the wrong place. Cheers for any and all advice

As Jason says, Ultracast.

But , assuming you are in the UK, the shpping from Canada will be How *&^*^*^* Much!

3d-models are your best bet in the UK.

http://www.3d-kits.co.uk/online-shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=spitfire%20ultracast&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=2

low post , £1.50 on any order, and can order in specific bits quickly if out of stock.

heck carefully which door you want for which Mk as well. Early ones did ot have a crowbar

[And in the war, the crowbars were not red!]

The hasegawa MkVIII has a flawed fuselage though.....

oodles of threads on that if you want to find out more.

HTH

T

Where would one find this part? Drawing blanks everywhere I've looked. It's a Mk.Vb I plan on building from hasegawa, I also have a Mk.VIII

My apologies if this is in the wrong place. Cheers for any and all advice

Jason & Troy, thank you both! Ultracast looks just the ticket :)

Now... Instead of starting a new thread... I have a desire to build a Mk.I too, in the markings of 'boy Wellum' aircraft QJ-K, 92 squadron. Does anyone know if there's a decal sheet in existence specifically made for this purpose? I'm sure many more people have finished his book and then wanted to build his famous plane 'K for King'

As Jason says, Ultracast.

But , assuming you are in the UK, the shpping from Canada will be How *&^*^*^* Much!

3d-models are your best bet in the UK.

http://www.3d-kits.co.uk/online-shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=spitfire%20ultracast&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=2

low post , £1.50 on any order, and can order in specific bits quickly if out of stock.

heck carefully which door you want for which Mk as well. Early ones did ot have a crowbar

[And in the war, the crowbars were not red!]

The hasegawa MkVIII has a flawed fuselage though.....

oodles of threads on that if you want to find out more.

HTH

T

The shipping price isn't actually too bad - $9.95 (£6) for air mail, the thing that's hurts is that you can't order much because you get stung on import duty and Parcel Force handling fee's. If you wanted to order a good few bits and we didn't have to pay all the stupid UK taxes the shipping would be good value.

FWIW, a good number of Spitfire kits have the pilot's hatch as a separate piece. Perhaps a fellow modeler in your home country has one to spare? I've got at least one and would be happy to send it, but I'm stuck on the west side of the Atlantic.

Cheers,

Pip

I went with the Quickboost parts and with free shipping from lucky model, they look a little nicer to my eye. The codes I have sorted too. I found what surely is, the daddy of all spitfire decal sets by Victory Productions entitled 'Aces of the Empire' and a little chopping and changing will give me what I need from that... plus a lifetimes worth of spitfire decals :D

Cheers

I went with the Quickboost parts and with free shipping from lucky model, they look a little nicer to my eye. The codes I have sorted too. I found what surely is, the daddy of all spitfire decal sets by Victory Productions entitled 'Aces of the Empire' and a little chopping and changing will give me what I need from that... plus a lifetimes worth of spitfire decals :D

Cheers

crikey Dan

I almost posted up the Tamiya mkI comes with QJ-B codes..

Xtradecal do a set of 24 and 30 inch Med sea grey codes as well....BUT..

RAF codes are not that simple.

looking for something else, ran across this

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/p/137680/1433121.aspx#1433121

So...without a photo it's best guess world. I don't know of a photo of Wellums plane, so what you then need to do is guesstimate from existing data

Miggers gives you the serial.

from here http://www.airhistory.org.uk/spitfire/p001.html

K9998 Ia 212 EA MIII FF 1-6-39 504S 2-11-39 603S 6-11-39 AST 24-2-40 92S 2-7-40 7OTU 1-11-40 Westland 4-11-40 7OTU 4-11-40 57OTU FACB 16-8-41 crash-landed Hawarden 26-8-41 1CRU to 2822M 6SoTT 27-12-41
so K9998 is a fairly early plane.
it might be easier as the BBMF flight have just done up their Spitfire II as QJ-K
P7350-1.jpg
But I am slightly suspicious of the fine detail.
This seems to show the legendary 7" centre spot [some BoB era Spitfire were painted at the factory with a 7" roundel centre instead of the correct 5" centre]
This was a factory mistake, and would not apply to an early Spifire.
From when K9998 was built it would have had a 35" A type fuselage roundel, the yellow ring was added in may 1940. In many cases this was done by adding a yellow ring to the existing roundel, rather than a full repaint.
like this
spitfire7.jpg
this is a 7" ring added to existing 35 " roundel.
note this thread
as there was a change from 'GR' to 'QJ' codes as well
also, this is a fairly early Spitfire from 92, note the roundel change, narrower yellow band added to existing 35"
allan_richard_wright_2.jpg
I suggest editing the post heading in the full editor, or start a new thread if you really want more info on this, and see what the 'hive mind' can turn up for you.
I hope this helps, but have a feeling it will be the start of a degree of confusion... This is normal, these minutiae are the lifeblood of many a Spitfire thread...
cheers
T
PS EDIT
In the therad below by Gareth, this pic appears, Pembrey August 1940
92-sqn-spits.jpg
note the 3 differing fuselage roundels, 35 inch repainted to 49 inch on 'S', a 35" standard on 'X' and what looks like narrow yellow outer ring on on a 35" on 'P'
... there was a war on!

Hi I recenty build on eof the 92 Squadron Spits, and found the first photo in this this thread interesting, granted it's not of the same aircraft but is shows a few of the other squadrons birds

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/54102-couple-of-interesting-spitfire-mk-i-pics/

Best Regards

Gareth

Edited by gareth