GB Chat

The MB Lightnings share 2 out of 3 sprues, the ones with wings, wheels, weapons, 1 seat etc.

The T55 only sprue has the fuse halves, extra seat, control column and 2 seat cockpit floor/bulkhead. Strange how they did the Hunter F6/T7 in one kit and the Lightning in 2

• Like 1

Hi, would the frog 1/72 F-8F bearcat count?

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Scalemates says it was released in 1975. I'm not convinced it was quite as late as that though. Whatever... it certainly qualifies on age. ART Model released a new tool kit of the Bearcat in 2012 so the Frog kit qualifies as being replaced.

This one's in!

Am I really the only person doing a tank? :shrug:

Considering all the options for ancient armour.....I'm amazed! :confused:

Really interesting to see the different approaches being taken in various builds. :nerd:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I'm trying to encourage shermaniac to join but he is resisting. As he's barely aware of flight (or the 20th Century) it'll be land based for him as well.

There may be ancient armour kits but some of those aircraft kits are amazing (for amazing read truly, deeply, nightmarishly awful).

Usually a Treadhead myself BTW

Enzo, All,

Would there be any interest in putting in another thread for posters to show, "Previous Obsolete Builds"? It might act as interest for folk.

I'll declare my interest: about 1/4 of my output is of "obsolete" builds, so I've got a few I could show.

What do you think?

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

Would there be any interest in putting in another thread for posters to show, "Previous Obsolete Builds"? It might act as interest for folk.

I'll declare my interest: about 1/4 of my output is of "obsolete" builds, so I've got a few I could show.

What do you think?

Excellent idea! Dunno why I forgot to do it when the GB started. :banghead:

If any one is looking for some obsolete paint for their obsolete kit there is someone on Ebay selling the old Humbrol Authentic tins http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271282981881?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

They may even contain lead good for those of you that are going to use a brush.

You are not alone. Waiting to see if liquid poly or HobbyCraft styrene wins out on my Vamp fuselage :weep:

EDIT: Looks like the styrene may be getting the upper hand on one side :thumbsup: but the other has collapsed into a bit of a mess :thumbsdown: Ho Hum......

Edited by SleeperService

Just about to pay a visit to my LMS for some bits and bobs and am going to pick up Airfix,s 88mm gun and tractor for a trip down memory lane

and wondered if this kit fits the GB criteria i,m sure dragon must have done a version or trumpeter?

Age is the first criteria and I'm sure this one was moulded over 30 years ago but best to check.

A recent replacement in the same or similar scale is second requirement. Was this one 72nd or 76th? Either way something more modern in 72nd will suffice.

I recall building one as a kid so fairly sure it was out pre-1984 but be worth double-checking.

Just about to pay a visit to my LMS for some bits and bobs and am going to pick up Airfix,s 88mm gun and tractor for a trip down memory lane

and wondered if this kit fits the GB criteria i,m sure dragon must have done a version or trumpeter?

A quick search dates the Airfix kit at 1968 with Fujimi and Hasegawa both offering alternative kits - the latter released in the 70s - so this is certainly a qualifying kit. Reading some of the reviews reveals it passes Murdo's Law as well.

Thanks for the info guys,just had a look in the box and surprised at the clean moulds,little flash on them,figures are terrible but I would,nt

use them anyway, and rubber tracks poor. So with my Curtis Hawk coming along nicely I think I will enter this one too.

• Like 1

I have a lot to do before my Bristols are finished but the December deadline still seems to be far away... Last weekend my wifes´ aunt unexpectedly gave me a large carton full of his late husbands´ obsolete kits, partly started partly not. By the looks of them they were started a long, long time ago and simply dropped and forgotten. Anyway, among the unstarted ones are a Matchbox Ju 188 and a He 115, Italaerei Ju 188, Bilek (né Airfix) Fw 189 and an Esci Dakota that´ll donate its P&W cowlings for my Beaufort Mk II to-be (are they completely correct or not I just don´t care). So that gave me some extra boost to try and finish the first three kits and who knows what happens after that. Anyway I guess all four kits are obsolete and would fit in this GB. Regards, V-P

A quick search dates the Airfix kit at 1968 with Fujimi and Hasegawa both offering alternative kits - the latter released in the 70s - so this is certainly a qualifying kit.

There's a recent kit by Revell as well.

Well, because the Fuji's progressing so well, I've decided to take on a third kit!!! I have a choice of three unpleasant specimens - only one will suffice! So, which one would people like to see? All obey Murdo's law...

The three are - Unknown Russian Tupolev I-4, Aimodel Focke Wulf Stosser, VEB Mil-4.

DSCN0175_zpsb327e971.jpg

I'm sure all are over thirty and have been surpassed by - well - anything at all!

Views...?

Chris

Mil-4, need more choppers in this build ;)

I agree!

The VEB kit is from 1964. It's in 1:100 scale and so there had been no replacement kit in that scale. But I'm going to squint at the recent Hobby Boss kit and convince myself that it's a little undersize... ;)