GB Chat

I did say I would enter, so count me in still with a Matchbox PR.9 Canberra, unless I find something else I want to build. Has to be small and easy as I have very little time and I would actually love to finish a GB!

I may well be tempted into this one using the Monogram Ju 87 - comfortably older (I think) than the Hasegawa/Italeri version and definitely 1970's vintage

Would the Airfix 1:72 Bo-105 count? I think it's older then the 90's boxing.

Released 1978. Modern kits by Legato and AModel available. It's in!

so count me in still with a Matchbox PR.9 Canberra

Released 1977, Modern Airfix kit available. It's in!

I may well be tempted into this one using the Monogram Ju 87 - comfortably older (I think) than the Hasegawa/Italeri version and definitely 1970's vintage

Early 70s I believe. The Hasegawa kit is from 1994. It's in!

Would the Fuji Fokker DVII in 1/72 be acceptable as a secondary build? I'm guessing it's over 30 years old, but don't know what the state of the art/current favourite DVII kit is...

Dunno what date the Fujimi kit is from, but there was a Roden kit from about ten years ago.

I was an early commiter to the build & will still be "building" the Matchbox F-14 Tomcat.

I built that myself in the mid 70s.

1st GB, & looking forward to it....

Me too! :welcome:

Edited by Enzo Matrix

What do you think?

I think it looks remarkably like the Esci kit. I have an Esci kit in The Stash. I'll compare your photos to it. If it is a repop of the Esci kit, then it dates from the late 70s. Whatever, I reckon it's in! :thumbsup:

The instruction sheet says copyright 1968! And it's the G-1 boxing, so with those 37mm guns!

• Like 1

I think it looks remarkably like the Esci kit. I have an Esci kit in The Stash. I'll compare your photos to it. If it is a repop of the Esci kit, then it dates from the late 70s. Whatever, I reckon it's in! :thumbsup:

Interestingly it has 'Japan' not 'Italy' stamped inside the fuselage - makes me wonder if it's a Japanese license built version of the Esci kit! I have thought that before! And good... looking forward to having a bash at this! :hobbyhorse:

Interestingly it has 'Japan' not 'Italy' stamped inside the fuselage - makes me wonder if it's a Japanese license built version of the Esci kit! I have thought that before! And good... looking forward to having a bash at this! :hobbyhorse:

Actually none of the Esci WW1 type was a real Esci mould, they were all reboxes of kits made in the far east that had appeared under various labels, so I believe that your kit predates the Esci boxes.

Edited by Giorgio N

Fuji... not Fujimi. Confused me too... :bangin:

DSCF6257_zps26a5f030.jpg

What do you think?

This is the Esci kit.

DVII-02.jpg

DVII-01.jpg

What I find interesting is that although they are clearly the same mould, the engine on mine is reversed with re4spect to yours.

Also...

DVII-03.jpg

The mould has been altered to say "ITALY" rather than "JAPAN" (or maybe vice versa). Whatever, I would say this is definitely in!!! :thumbsup:

Although I haven't taken part in any GBs here for ages I have been waiting for this to start as, like a few others, I have quite a few old relics hidden away in dark corners. I have to say that I'm surprised that no one seems to have mentioned this one as I'd have thought that it would be a prime candidate.

DSCF4601640x480_zpsfc7b05c1.jpg

I mean, even the artwork's bad. :o

If this build is open to all subjects I do have a Lindberg (ex Pyro) Brontosaurus I could throw into the mix too.

• Like 1

Hi! Only just found this!

Brilliant idea and I'm certain there's something somewhere in the stash that needs its minute of fame.

So, despite liking some of James Blunt's songs, can I join in the fun?!

I'm up late listening to Fish's new album (bloody awesome!) and so I'll have a look through the cupboards tomorrow and let you know what I can come up with.

I go away to be busy for part of a day, and what do I find when I get back? eh? eh? about a million build threads started up. yeah, well youse is gonna have to wait a bit for my two - so there.

Gonna be a bit busy the next few days doing some road recce for a rally I have suddenly just volunteered myself to organise. Two weeks to get routes sorted and road books done up. Sorry gone off-topic there.

Although I haven't taken part in any GBs here for ages I have been waiting for this to start as, like a few others, I have quite a few old relics hidden away in dark corners. I have to say that I'm surprised that no one seems to have mentioned this one as I'd have thought that it would be a prime candidate.

The Airfix Blenheim was released during the 1960. There is a modern MPM replacement. So its in! :thumbsup:

If this build is open to all subjects I do have a Lindberg (ex Pyro) Brontosaurus I could throw into the mix too.

I'd like to allow that. There is no replacement kit of which I am aware (the Tamiya kit is of a Brachiosaurus) but the "Brontosaurus" kit is really really obsolete. Firstly, there is no dinosaur called "Brontosaurus". It is a junior synonym for Apatosaurus. Secondly, the kit does not represent the modern understanding of the morphology of sauropods. So I think this kit should be included! Comments?

• Like 1

I originally suggested this GB because it sounded like it could be a bit of fun.

Look at the number of open build threads and all the chat which is going on. What has become obvious is that people are joining in with the spirit of the GB and they're already having lots of fun. And the GB hasn't even started yet! :D

• Like 4

I'd like to allow that. There is no replacement kit of which I am aware (the Tamiya kit is of a Brachiosaurus) but the "Brontosaurus" kit is really really obsolete. Firstly, there is no dinosaur called "Brontosaurus". It is a junior synonym for Apatosaurus. Secondly, the kit does not represent the modern understanding of the morphology of sauropods. So I think this kit should be included! Comments?

mmmmmmmmm,

on age of kit = yes

as its so inaccurate any dino kit will be more so - replaced by a more accurate kit = yes

is it a bad kit? maybe = no

2 out of 3

But what the 'eck - the man from D-Dee he say 'yes'!

:fool:

I've got an old Airfix Strikemaster in 1/72, not sure it's here though or at my parents, shall look when I get in. Did anyone else bring one out after? Would that be ok?

I believe that the Matchbox Strikemaster was released later than the Airfix one. Not much later, I'll grant you but it's later.. :D

Edit: Just checked. Airfix - 1974. Matchbox - 1975. it's in! :thumbsup:

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I know Airfix released a Brontosaurus kit in 1982 so mine should be OK for the GB. It even has the caveman figure included, which makes it even more inaccurate.

• Like 2