IDF Centurion Turret Basket

John_W

Building the IDF version of th AFV club Shot/Centurion.

Reference photos show many of them have a turret basket.

2EDD5727-79A9-422D-BC74-717A98A8D0F7-841

Parts for one are included in the kit for the Australian Version. Would this be the correct basket for the IDF version, and would anyone happen to have a scan of the instructions if it is?

Many thanks.

i've had a flick through the two books i have, and as far as i can tell the basket seems to be the same on the idf, aussy, dutch etc. i assume it is a standard part on the mk5 turret and above.

edit*

to complicate matters i read that the shot had an extra turret bin on the rear left, and im wondering if this interfered with the basket requiring it to be slightly different.

oh dear, best wait to hear from Loren I think, sorry :-( I'll shut up in future.

I think you will find this is different than the "normal" basket issued with your normal cents. Left hand portion of "normal" basket was for storage of IR/Search light.....

Kit part is not the correct part for the Shot/Cent..........try this link for plenty of pics of the "shot" basket:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=centurion+adf&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.51773540,d.d2k,pv.xjs.s.en_US.GZikMza0zSU.O&biw=1152&bih=701&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=9ygvUoKpK--B7QbexICYBQ#hl=en&q=centurion+shot+kal&tbm=isch&um=1&imgdii=_

Raymond

• Like 1

ok got this from loren ..

Thomas:

The 10th Harel Brigade was operating unmodified Centurions with the 20 pdr gun. So no change was made.

I consulted with Dr. Robert Manasherob - who is considered the expert on the Sh'ot in Israel. A majority of the Centurions were re-gunned with the 105mm but the conversions were minor and not standard until 1968 when there was a conversion line set up to modify the entire line to the standard.

I do have line drawings of the various models and pictures available - but all are after the 1967 War

Loren
i have asked him about the turret basket as he didnt get my first email via hotmail it obviously thought my email was junk .. so used my main email ..
thomas

john just got another email from loren..

Just let them know that the 10th Brigade's Centurions did not have turret baskets at all, just that normal boxes that the British had. The other Centurions in the IDF in 1967 - some had baskets but were not standardized to any degree, most did not have them at all. All of the Centurions after 1968 had a standardized basket on the rear of the turret.
Loren
  • Like 1

good photos john the 7th one down is lebanon .. in 82 ..

got this from neil on the TO&Es group ..

thomas

I suspect "no" is the simple answer.
I would have thought there is an Israeli upgrade set-there are for most models.

There "may" have been some Centurions upgraded with turret basket by 1967; however most photographic evidence I've seen suggests it was post 1967.

In 1967 many still has 20 pdrs; the first upgrade was a 105mm gun. The engine was the next priority, even in 1973 many were still Sh'ot Meteor (with original British petrol engine) as oppose to Sh'ot Kal (with US diesals). Stowage was at first a pentagonal storage box on turret rear with 2x jerry cans. Jerry cans were added to front hull tops of track guard. Later the 2x jerry cans were replaced with a wire mesh storage basket. All the photos I've seen of Sh'ot with this basket are Kals with 105mm gun & upgraded engine.

Neil

• 3 weeks later...