Marine Of The Guard

Mickstorm

Hi

Latest project, Verlindens Marine of the Guard, painted with oils and Vallejo Acrylics, had a few problems with the varnish (again) always seem to get a slight sheen, never seem to be able to get that true matt finish. It could be that I need to allow a greater drying time for the oils ?

The kit went togeather with out any problems, for me the standard Verlinden kit, no complaints.

As per normal all comments/advice/pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mick

009_zpseb084956.jpg

010_zps5d2c37e2.jpg

• Like 1

That looks fantastic! Great work.

For varnish, have you tried Winsor and Newton Galleria Matt Varnish? it's meant for matting down acrylics or oils in a painting, and I swear by the stuff...

My only tip would be that, for me, the light highlights on the chin and nose are too light. They're probably in shadow, under the brim of the hat, so I think they look too pale and starkly contrasting. But that's probably just me, or the photo, or something...

What scale is he?

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

M - Agreed, I think I've actually been a bit clumsy and rubbed some of the paint off through contact with my fingers, combination of Gorilla figures and lack of patience : )

Thanks for the advice, I'll defiantly give it a go on the next figure.

Once again many thanks everyone for the feedback.

Very nice work Mick :goodjob:

I agree with Matt re the W&N matt varnish; well worth a try. Failing that I have had fairly good results with brushed on Humbrol Enamel Matt Varnish but you need to apply it in very thin coats thinned with Humbrol thinners and make sure that the oils are completely dry or you'll start taking paint off !

• Like 1