1/72 Fujimi A-4K or TA-4K early (SEA camo)

Afternoon,

Thought I'd better get going with this! I have had the Blue Angels boxing of this kit for what, 13 years plus. Got it for £1.99 in a Modelzone sale in Brighton! Anyway, it has all the parts for either a single or twin seater. Given that I am building a 1/48th Hasegawa A-4K Kahu in European One, and that I have not been able to lay my hands on a single 1/72 set of US Navy aggressor decals (my initial choice) I thought I'd complement it with its 1/72 sibling in SEA camo, Not a camo scheme I have done before, so am looking forward to doing something different, and finding out what interesting weapon loads they would have carried late 70s/early 80s. I have also sent away for a set of Oldmodels decals from NZ for the markings. Apparently these are Inkjet decals, which I haven't used before; apparently they have very sharp reproduction of details, but need to be coated before you dip them in water. .Anyone got any advice on this front? Anyway, am not near my stash at the moment (in theory, I should be working . . . ) so can't do box shot etc but in the meantime here is a picture link to the scheme I am planning. The only thing is to decide whether to go for the single seater or twin?

TA-4K

A-4K

For the time period your best stores options are drop tanks, dumb bombs (slick or retarded 500lb) or rocket pods (4 shot Zuni or CRV-7)

Good luck with the inkjet decals. Those hwo have used OldModels deals report mixed reactions to quality and experience (ink running, translucent decals, having to cut around anything with white as it is printed on white decal sheet, variation in quality of decals).

• 3 weeks later...

Been a bit slack with this group build, so here are the obligatory sprue shots. I have decided to do the TA-4K, as this boxing doesn't have the avionics hump that I thought it had! No problem - each was good. I have also managed to get a set of superscale decals for a SEA Kiwi A-4, so it will be done as a 75 sqn TA-4K around 1984, with the black radome. Still on the look out for Zuni rocket pods, which I understand were a standard load-out - anyone know of a source? More later!

DSCN1311.jpg

Been a bit slack with this group build, so here are the obligatory sprue shots. I have decided to do the TA-4K, as this boxing doesn't have the avionics hump that I thought it had! No problem - each was good. I have also managed to get a set of superscale decals for a SEA Kiwi A-4, so it will be done as a 75 sqn TA-4K around 1984, with the black radome. Still on the look out for Zuni rocket pods, which I understand were a standard load-out - anyone know of a source? More later!

How many Zuni pods do you need? :D

f65d6b0b-c7a9-4e2e-8ce6-12f9a9a8be87_zps

I have a bunch left over after building a few Fujimi A-4's as K's. I've also got a few full sets of underwing tanks and MER/TERs, humps and Fujimi decals as well if anyone's after any. PM me your address and I'll send you a set.

I'd also suggest you look into some alternate RNZAF roundels if you are using the superscale sheet. If it's anything like my copy, while the flashes and other markings are ok, the kiwi roundels were caricatures. I replaced all mine with Ventura roundels.

Edited by mumbles

How many Zuni pods do you need? :Df65d6b0b-c7a9-4e2e-8ce6-12f9a9a8be87_zpsI have a bunch left over after building a few Fujimi A-4's as K's. I've also got a few full sets of underwing tanks and MER/TERs, humps and Fujimi decals as well if anyone's after any. PM me your address and I'll send you a set.I'd also suggest you look into some alternate RNZAF roundels if you are using the superscale sheet. If it's anything like my copy, while the flashes and other markings are ok, the kiwi roundels were caricatures. I replaced all mine with Ventura roundels.

Just a couple would be just dandy! And at the risk of pushing my luck, you don't happen to have any aggressor decals from the agressor boxing?;)) Let me know your 'required remuneration' via PM, and if you are looking for anything yourself. With regard to the superscale decals, mine seem to be ok; i've seen them with no legs or beak, but mine have them, albeit in a very 'scale' appearance! certainly useable, in any case.

Best regards, Paul

Mumbles,

Now you've done it. Had no idea about the ventura sheet, but can now consider an ex RAN A-4G/TA-4G in blue grey wraparound and SEA tanks, using the larger kiwi roundels... or even a European 1 kahu. Have already spent 12 quid on not very satisfactory decals... can i justify another £8 just to get exactly what I want...?

Cue the sound of my wallet creaking open...

Good luck with the inkjet decals. Those hwo have used OldModels deals report mixed reactions to quality and experience (ink running, translucent decals, having to cut around anything with white as it is printed on white decal sheet, variation in quality of decals).

Ugh, I have a sheet of those as well. Hurm.

Just a couple would be just dandy! And at the risk of pushing my luck, you don't happen to have any aggressor decals from the agressor boxing? ;))

If you mean the "Topgun" boxing I have a few of this decal sheet:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10025073t2/60/2

There is an error there in the RAN instructions BTW, they didn't have underwing roundels.

Name your price!

LOL, make me an offer. Look in all honesty I'm comfy going gratis on that, it's a negligible cost at my end and I'm not likely to use them myself so not worth recompensing, unless you have any spare 1/72 F-51 props or an AS-4 missile suitable for an ESCI Backfire lying around (my chief "looking for" items at the moment) :) . PM sent.

Edited by mumbles