Naval Vampire FB.5 joins the coven!

My second build over the Summer Hols is intended to mark the imminent 70th Anniversary of the first flight of the De Havilland "Spider Crab" Vampire, on 20 September 1943. Its the old 1/72 Heller kit in its latest (Revell) guise.

DSC_0914_zps252481d2.jpg

I couldn't quite bring myself to build it as a Crab aircraft, :P and I already have a Sea Vampire in the collection (based on the same kit) so instead I have gone for an FB.5 Fleet Air Arm hack operated by HMS HERON Station Flight at Yeovilton in 1954, based on an old Mike Keep drawing in SAM.

DSC_0910-1_zps836ee180.jpg

DSC_0915_zps12c20a8e.jpg

Other than the decals and paper seatbelts, the kit is built as supplied, although I have cheated and added a prop to stop it from tail-sitting (I tried lots of lead with my Sea Vampire and failed miserably :(

DSC_0911_zps2a37728a.jpg

And here she is with the rest of the coven (so far!)

FredT :)

DSC_0927_zps72f851d2.jpg

DSC_0933_zps58c78d65.jpg

Edited by gengriz
  • Like 4

Nice FB5 and collection you have Fred. I think I might have to look at another Vampire for my collection, I hadn't seen one previously. Maybe one of the Ali Cats 48th kits.

Colin

Very nice Fred. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has managed to get this kit not to tip backwards!! Someone with access to depleted uranium maybe?

Pat

I used an offcut sprue from one of my Dad's lead fishing sinkers on one many years ago but the weight was too much for the u/c. Aeroclub do a white metal u/c which with the nosegear being forward could just tip the balance a bit more.

Lovely model and I like the collection.