Airfix 1/72 A4-Q - FINISHED!

Here's my entry. I'll be doing the new Airfix tool as an Argentine A4-Q. Replacement tanks from Freightdog, I got the full A4-B set they do and at the last minute decided to do the Q instead, some resin for the spares box then! Seat from Pavla, although the kit seat seems pretty good so I may just make some belts for it. Instrument panel from Modell-Hobby, looks very nice. Some things that go boom, courtesy of Hasegawa, the kit ones look a bit ropey. Decals from Aztec, very comprehensive sheet, I think you can probably build every plane that even thought about hanging around the Falklands in 1982. Bit fiddly with some of the serial numbers, etc but should be fine!

Little bit of reference material, just finished reading the "Wings of the Malvinas" book which is rather good, lots of anecdotal evidence interspersed with a mountain of facts, nice to read something from an Argentine-centric point of view.

I'm off on my hols in a few days so I wont get much done before then, realistically, but I have a little light reading for the long plane journey with "Air War South Atlantic", sweet.

IMG_3153.jpg

P1010253.jpg

P1010250.jpg

P1010252.jpg

P1010254.jpg

Edited by Misterfriend
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure I got the right seat for the kit, the Ebay (grrrr) listing said it was for the Airfix kit but I've had to take a lot off the bottom of it to make it short enough to fit.

Looking good, I've only dry fitted seat so far but I was coming to the same conclusion that it may not fit that well...

From the photos that looks like the S72023 seat, although it's an ESCAPAC 1A, on Pavla's website they only list it for A-4C/D/E/L. The new seat they brought out (same time as the replacement cockpit for the Airfix kit) is S72077 (still ESCAPAC 1A), it's listed as suitable for A-4A/B/C/E/L/Q/P. Looks like the eBay seller was a bit naughty, it might fit, with a bit of work, but it wasn't designed for it. :nono:

Ah, thanks for that Speedman. Yeah I've had to shave rather a lot off the bottom off the seat to get it to fit and be able to close the canopy. It doesn't look too bad when you look in the cockpit, a little shallow but maybe, but I'm going to go with it!

I guess the lesson learned is double check what you are buying on Ebay with what the company lists it as! The seller definitely listed it as for the Airfix kit and I didn't really look too closely at it before I started playing with it. :oops:

I may play around with the kit seat and if I can make it look nice I'll swap it.

• 2 weeks later...

Main construction is done, little bit of filler but not much. It all went together rather nicely. Added a new aerial behind the cockpit as the Q has a different one to the B. Primed and ready for paint. Hopefully get the white and the Argentine blue on tonight.

skyhawk4_zpsfacdda77.jpg

Painted up the kit seat and added some handles and it looks good enough for me, plus it actually fits which is a big plus I find! Managed to snap the tail hook in half when I was cleaning it up and couldn't get the two pieces to bond so replaced the middle with wire.

skyhawk5_zps1e312c10.jpg

Just sprayed the upper surfaces. This is my first experience with Humbrol Acrylic paints and I have to say they are really putting the ick in acrylic. Thick gloppy paint that didn't thin easily and the pot design is an abomination (well that might be too strong a term for a pot of paint) and is very hard to pour from. No matter what I did it clogged up my airbrush and spattered, took 4 attempts to get the finish looking kinda right. Maybe I got a dodgy one but not sure i would use them again, they are not that common here in LA anyway so not really an issue, I think I only got it as I was ordering something online and they happened to stock it. I'll let this dry today and then do the red.

cheers

Segan

skyhawk8_zpse3bcfe18.jpg

You're not alone on not getting on with Humbrol Acrylics, I gave up on them, for the same reasons. They're bringing their production back to UK, along with changing pot style so maybe they will be more useable....

Paint looks good regardless.

You're not alone on not getting on with Humbrol Acrylics, I gave up on them, for the same reasons. They're bringing their production back to UK, along with changing pot style so maybe they will be more useable....

Paint looks good regardless.

Thanks, phew at least it's not just me. I wonder if they act better with humbrols acrylic thinners, I was just using my trusty water/isopropyl mix that I use for all my other acrylics.

Hi mate, excellent work so far! I also have a Pavla replacement bang seat,and it specifically says for Airfix 1/72 A-4/4P, yet it still doesn't fit.... Think this a a problem with Pavla rather than the eBay vender in this case :)

Thanks, phew at least it's not just me. I wonder if they act better with humbrols acrylic thinners, I was just using my trusty water/isopropyl mix that I use for all my other acrylics.

That's your problem actually I think, like Vallejo the Humbrol ones aren't too keen on IPA, try water or as you suggest their thinners

Hi mate, excellent work so far! I also have a Pavla replacement bang seat,and it specifically says for Airfix 1/72 A-4/4P, yet it still doesn't fit.... Think this a a problem with Pavla rather than the eBay vender in this case :)

Ah well, I'm going with the kit seat in the end which is quite nice anyway. I'm sure one day that bang seat will be used, just not sure when!

That's your problem actually I think, like Vallejo the Humbrol ones aren't too keen on IPA, try water or as you suggest their thinners

Ah, that is good to know. I always add a drop of IPA (not the beer, although...) to my acrylics when I airbrush. I know different brands of paint have slightly different recipes and dont always play well with each other but I didn't know that they don't like that. I have a few Vallejo paints but I think I've only used them with the old hairy stick!

Looking good Segan

Thank you!

looks great

Thanks!

So I finally finished decaling, i may be the worlds slowest at that particular task! I get get very worried that I'm going to lift off fresh decals, it may have happened on one or two or three occasions, so i do one or two and then walk away till they've set. The Aztec decals were very nice to work with and i thoroughly recommend them. The wing ones over the vortex generators and the intake warning strips took a few applications of Micro Set to get them to conform but that was it. The only weird bit was the instructions indicate a few small stencils that weren't on the sheet. Not too bothered as they are all small and I'm not a fan of stencils, this is the most modern plane I've ever built so my dislike of stencils isn't too much of a problem usually!

I think I'm going to do a light panel wash in places. There's a slight step at the back join of the canopy that I'm undecided about, I may try whipping it off and refitting it or I may live with it.

Cheers

Segan

skyhawk11_zpsfda08d76.jpg