Airfix Spitfire MkXII 1:48

Hi all, seem to be struggling to actually complete anything this year but finally got no 2 under the belt!

Its the Airfix spitfire mk XII, as has been said many times on here before, its a nice straight forward kit to build (well apart from my self induced problems).

Tried to add a few refinements during the build, some ideas inspired/robbed from the excellent one I saw on here a while ago by Tony Bell, bits done were as follows:

• Removed the moulded intake scoop in the top of the cowl and replaced with one made from beer can
  • Sanded the props and wingtips thinner
  • Rescribed the spinner panel line
  • Filled incorrect panel lines around tail wheel doors - there are lines that should be there for the option with the non retractable tail wheel but need to be removed for the retractable option
  • Hollowed out the kit solid carb scoop ice guard and fitted PE mesh
  • Fitted PE kit to the cockpit and drilled out the various lightening holes
  • Hollowed out exhaust and cannon tips
  • Also managed to lose the rear view mirror so had to scratchbuild a replacement

Colours were a mix of Tamiya for the main camo and humbrol for the cockpit green and sky and other details.

I used the new humbrol clear for the gloss coat but had a major disaster as areas of it crazed when I did an oil wash and the whole thing nearly ended up in the bin. I ended up micromeshing a lot of it back and touching up the paint, fortunately for me this seemed to work but not had this problem before with using wood floor polish as a clear coat so not sure where I went wrong, plenty of time to dry between coats?

I have seen a few threads where people have had problems with the paint cracking when using mr colour but that seemed to crack the paint - this was definitely really fine cracks in the gloss coat, not sure if its the hot/humid weather or brushed it on to thick, maybe I should have used the airbrush?

Anyways, on with some pics, I hope you like and all C&CC greatly appreciated - cheers, Stu

SAM_5533_zps1b63a859.jpg

SAM_5513_zps9c7e89a8.jpg

SAM_5514_zpsa4ccb0f4.jpg

SAM_5515_zpsaee6a643.jpg

SAM_5516_zps730a9c8f.jpg

SAM_5518_zps0207c1f2.jpg

SAM_5520_zps4daafa9d.jpg

SAM_5522_zpseb6c802a.jpg

SAM_5523_zps3fe293f2.jpg

SAM_5524_zps742a9c57.jpg

SAM_5529_zpsde9d3b8c.jpg

And last one in the sunshine :)

SAM_5540_zps1ebfafc8.jpg

Edited by stoohoo
  • Like 4

Nicely done Stu, worth all the effort that went into the build and all the little extras you've added like the little scoop on the top cowl are neatly done. That camouflage isn't to shabby either how was that done, with Blu Tac?

Would the oil staining be better off being drawn further back and feathered in more towards the end?

The last photo really shows your build off a treat.

Off topic I know, but have you had any joy with the Mossie canopy yet?

Tim.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys always nice to get some good feedback!

Nicely done Stu, worth all the effort that went into the build and all the little extras you've added like the little scoop on the top cowl are neatly done. That camouflage isn't to shabby either how was that done, with Blu Tac?

Would the oil staining be better off being drawn further back and feathered in more towards the end?

The last photo really shows your build off a treat.

Off topic I know, but have you had any joy with the Mossie canopy yet?

Tim.

Cheers Tim, yeah camo was done with blutack, I used maskol to fill in between the sausages instead of tape this time which worked well and was a lot quicker than tape - and its really satisfying to peel off afterwards :)

Your prob right with the oil stain, have tried doing this sort of stuff with artists oils but cant really get convincing results and didn't want to spoil the model with badly/overdone weathering. The first time I did it I brought it further down, theres a fairly well known shot of the underside of a mkXII in the air and you can see oil all over the place. However it didn't look right and then I lost most of the weathering when I had to sort out the cracked varnish so I chickened out second time round. Looking forwards to seeing what/how you tackle this on your schmittfire :)

No joy on the mossie canopy yet unfortunately, PM'd Tigger who was happy to help but would have needed the old canopy (that I melted) to make a plug. I think I might have to resign to parting with some cash and stop being so tight :)

Cheers all!

Cheers again for the kind comments guys - i had a great time building this one and was really pleased with how it came out in the end so the positive feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Can I ask when you say "Filled incorrect panel lines around", around what?

Hi Tbolt - sorry my mistake should have re-read my first post properly! There are panel lines around the tail wheel that are correct for the fixed type but not for the retractable one - have edited my first post now!

Stu

Cheers again for the kind comments guys - i had a great time building this one and was really pleased with how it came out in the end so the positive feedback is greatly appreciated :)Hi Tbolt - sorry my mistake should have re-read my first post properly! There are panel lines around the tail wheel that are correct for the fixed type but not for the retractable one - have edited my first post now!Stu

Thanks Stu, I'll look out for that when I build mine.

• Like 1

Tried to add a few refinements during the build, some ideas inspired/robbed from the excellent one I saw on here a while ago by Tony Bell, bits done were as follows:

• Removed the moulded intake scoop in the top of the cowl and replaced with one made from beer can ...

What brand? Nice model but would it be an idea if somebody simply produced a selection of these intakes as PE-parts?

NP

• Like 1