Black Mike - a worthy campaign

Gundylunch

I agree, Dave, not in one piece anyway- and if anyone thinks some hard pressed RSDG or REME Staff Sergeant is going to give two hoots about any ex-crab artifacts left behind I admire their optimism!

The former 43(F) HAS Site guardian, XV586 is now at Yeovilton in a facsimile of her original FAA colours, (albeit with the horizontal stabs completely painted EDSG) having been purchased by a private group, unconnected with the FAA Museum.

I am not aware of any other F-4K/FG-1 which could be retained in RAF colours so the retention of BM would in my view be desirable.

• 2 weeks later...

For those BM'ers who have a soft spot for the F-4 in RAF service, or this aircraft in particular, there is still time to donate to the save Black Mike. I know times are hard, but every pound counts- lets see if we can preserve this wonderful aircraft before I have to resort to the "Bucket of Avtur" Challenge. :thumbsup2: Thanks for looking chaps!

http://www.gofundme.com/save-black-mike

Now the frustrating thing is that I was at bruntingthorpe, where no mention was made of this, surely thsi would have been an ideal place to raise the awareness. Given that all we seem to do is scrap anything that was once good, more profile should be raised of this.

Given the important part the phantom played in keeping our island safe it should be right that such an example is kept in its rather nice condition. I know spitfires are great but we have plenty of those! Give me more noisy things please!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As an ex " Wattashame" AATC, I cut my RAF career teeth on F4's, albeit not 111's

However, one day I nearly wept when I went into a hangar- sitting there in storage, was the whole of their squadrons F4's, glazing covered in brown paper, literally waiting for the scrapman's axe.

The Phantom played a sterling role in our defence, the legal argument for scrapping them is to put them beyond use. For me such a complete frame, done properly, can be put out of use without scrapping- instead giving it to a museum or collection that will care for it is a better option.

Far too many historical and rare aircraft have been lost in the last few years, but fortunately I've seen wonders done with aircraft that were due for scrapping returned to beautifully preserved examples, such as SYAM's Gazelle, Seaking and Wessex-all Falklands Vets.

As for a home, somewhere central would be nice, but for me anywhere is better than a scrappy's.

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 2