FRADU canberra t4

Selwyn

i think these were Light aircraft grey overall, has anyone got a good 3 view of one with colour callouts. had a good look on the net but apart from a few blurry photo's not anything i can really use.

I have just been given the "A" model B2 and i am going to convert. its my first ever 1/144 aircraft kit!

Selwyn

Selwyn,

Have a gander here, should answer any queries!

Fradu

Mark.

Yes Harry I have seen this site already, just not very good with no really clear photo's of what i want to see.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

• 4 years later...

Hello, I have another question on the subject of the FRADU Canberras. Does anyone know the size and position of the roundels carried on the upper wing surfaces of the T4s and TT18s finished in the all over light aircraft grey scheme with dayglo stripes?  The TT18s with target tug stripes had 36in roundels, either near the wingtips or about 1/3 of the way in. I've also seen images of T22s with similar roundels, but I haven't been able to find an image showing the roundels on a FRADU T4 (e.g WJ874/858). There are plenty of side views available but none from above it seems. The On Target Profile No.7 has an upper view of a B2 in a similar scheme with 84in roundels, but this is RAF and FRADU may be different.

Any help much appreciated!

Edited by Recycler
additional details

1 minute ago, Recycler said:

Hello, I have another question on the subject of the FRADU Canberras. Does anyone know the size and position of the roundels carried on the upper wing surfaces of the T4s and TT18s finished in the all over light aircraft grey scheme with dayglo stripes?  The TT18s with target tug stripes had 36in roundels, either near the wingtips or about 1/3 of the way in. I've also seen images of T22s with similar roundels, but I haven't been able to find an image showing the roundels on a FRADU T4 (e.g WJ874/858). There are plenty of side views available but none from above it seems. Any help much appreciated!

If you take a look on My site IPMS UK Canberra SIG I think you will find what you need.

John

Thanks very much John, it's a great site, I did look through but couldn't find anything about the upper roundels.

This is the scheme I'm interested in:

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=144287536

I've found images of this aircraft from below, showing underwing serials with 36in roundels near the wingtips.  What I'm looking for ideally is an image which shows the wings from above.

http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=144781900

Thanks again

Edited by Recycler

Hi Pete 

It pains me to say, but it looks like you are right, I've been trawling through my photos and I've not found one top side shot of a RN T.4. I know it's a dangerous game to play with things Canberra, but I would venture the T.4 fleet would follow the same pattern as the T.22 and TT.18 regards size and position. I will continue to search.

Regards

John  

The only reference I've found is this; taken from the On Target Profiles 7 "Canberra"

canberra_t4_wj874_fradu.jpg

The page only has a side profile, which matches your second link image; however, it does quote that the details might be found in the book "English Electric Canberra" by Delve, Green and Clemons.  Perhaps you could look for that publication.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

The only reference I've found is this; taken from the On Target Profiles 7 "Canberra"

canberra_t4_wj874_fradu.jpg

The page only has a side profile, which matches your second link image; however, it does quote that the details might be found in the book "English Electric Canberra" by Delve, Green and Clemons.  Perhaps you could look for that publication.

Mike

Thanks Mike

I've taken a look at the book and the photo is an airborne shot, but guess what, that's right it's from the underside! The search goes on.

John

• Like 1

Thanks John and MIke. I've got the Ken Delve book, plus a few others about the Canberra, but none show the top of a FRADU/RN T4. It's a mystery!

I think, taking an educated guess, that the RN T4s would have the small size Type D roundels, as the big 84in ones seemed to be more of a 70s thing. Also, the profiles of T4s shown with the large roundels also include a fin flash, which none of the FRADU Canberras carried.  So it seems small roundels would be in keeping with the more subtle national markings. 

In terms of position, I've seen shots of TT18s with roundels near the wingtips or at the midpoint between the wingtip and engine nacelle. The T22s all seemed to have the latter. I'm guessing that the T4s would be similar, with the roundels inboard of the dayglo stripes on the upper wingtips. But it would still be good to know for sure!

Thanks again,

Pete.

• Like 1

Recycler and Canberra Kid, check out an Airlife book called Fleet Air Arm, in this in the FRDU section are two reasonable top shots of a TT18, a frontal shot and a full page photo of the TT banking over to reveal her belly. 

If you pm me your email I'm happy to photo and send them over.

Cheers the woo.