+++Restarted+++ Golden Scooter – 1/48 RNZAF TA-4K 50th Anniversary Special

It's all ok, I do appreciate the advice and will use it best I can....though a drastic change to my work shifts may put a damper on this and my other builds, about to start a new project which means a 3 weeks on/1 week off roster on the opposite side of the country.

I’m actually half Kiwi/half Oz and spent my youth in NZ, lived in Fielding so was there for the arrival of the Skyhawks (and Strike Masters), though miss seeing the Vampires!

I was going to have a go at this bird but I'll try something different, but I shall be watching this with great interest as I'm going to use the same kit.

Enjoy.

Be afraid......

Spent over two hours just cleaning up some of the main bits! Have build resin models with less flash than this one, only save grace is that the plastic is lovely (a touch on the soft side) and very easy to work with.

With a bit of time and lots of prep work you/we should be able to turn something nice out.

What scheme are you going for?

• Like 1

Either the classic Gull Grey/White or the mocked up paint scheme with one side painted and the other side in the original RAN/NZ scheme. Not sure if the roundels were retained or painted out. This also saves having to alter the tail and the only flight she made in the scheme didn't employ drop tanks so that's another problem solved.

As to the CA kit, well I've nearly beaten one of their Sea Hawks into submission for the FAA GB but each CA kit brings its own challenges.

As I said I've got your back on this one so any help or advice would be good

So AZ used the CA moulds. Awesome. Did it have the big pegs just inside the intakes?

Silverfox. I think you should do the grey one, Check A-4 Alley to see how it was painted. I believe the decals for the golden scooter were actually for the grey test scheme, im pretty sure grey one had the stripes terminating in a straight line at the nose. I cant get any of my references to load at the moment. Ill check on it later.

I would be cool to see the 2 schemes side by side.

• Like 1

Scorpionmikey, no luck on the site I remember a black and white picture in one of my NZ references that showed the starboard side and it had at least the roundel but I can't find it. I'm likely to do it anyway, its been on my mind to so it ever since I saw the photos.

Trickyrich, sorry to have taken the focus away from your thread, I'll start my own later this week.

So AZ used the CA moulds. Awesome. Did it have the big pegs just inside the intakes?

Silverfox. I think you should do the grey one, Check A-4 Alley to see how it was painted. I believe the decals for the golden scooter were actually for the grey test scheme, im pretty sure grey one had the stripes terminating in a straight line at the nose. I cant get any of my references to load at the moment. Ill check on it later.

I would be cool to see the 2 schemes side by side.

Yes it had pegs in the intakes, the wings would joint together cause of them either. Plus the best one they even managed to get a mould peg off center in the main intake where the center resen shaft goes! Forgot to take photo but Silver Fox will know what I mean, they're hopless! :wall:

Scorpionmikey, no luck on the site I remember a black and white picture in one of my NZ references that showed the starboard side and it had at least the roundel but I can't find it. I'm likely to do it anyway, its been on my mind to so it ever since I saw the photos.

Trickyrich, sorry to have taken the focus away from your thread, I'll start my own later this week.

Ok I think I can help you out a little bit on this one....

Grey256parked2_zpsdfcbe352.jpg

Sorry don't have photos of other side.

Grey256parked_zps4b694cb8.jpg

Interesting to note she still has TA-4G above her serial number.

Grey256inhanger_zps5a9ddfa1.jpg

Could always go his far, looks like the paint shop guys had a bit of fun in the paint shop! An very interesting thing to note at this point she had the squared off tail of an TA-4K and the tail stripe is different, more like how it is when she was gold. The squadron badge is painted out side along, the roundels and tail flashare now the same colour as the body! There must have been some interim work done on her, I would asume they may have test flew her after the tail mods, but why the new paint job?

These photos are courtesy of http://www.cambridgeairforce.org.nz/RNZAF_50th_Anniv_Skyhawk.html

Would be interesting if someone else could build her in her final colour scheme, would look good all three together, or someone build her in her original RAN colours. Would be a nice tribute to her.

are you sure :whistle: ..........I just say that as in the two sets of tail stipes are different in the photos. The first two the stripe goes to a clearly shown point, the three colours are points, the last photo the colours are still stripes at the tip. They can't be the final stripes due to the artistry on the side of the aircraft.

The photos here show it more clearly.

http://a4-alley.x90x.net/A4-Alley/RNZAF-Skyhawks-page-2.html

Those pictures to me show the new tail has already been fitted, but why add the strip.

If your contacts know someone who worked on it they may be able to fill in the details.

Thanks for the pictures, I've been using them as a reference already but it was a kind and thoughtful thought. It's the other side that doesn't seem to have been photographed.

I do find it interesting that the tail was changed as part of the Kahu upgrade yet they repainted the markings back in to repaint them again after the full repaint. Also the ailerons seem to have been changed/swapped/repainted as they are in the psuedo-Euro 1 scheme on the flying shots.

I will be watching this build very closely, trickyrich. The Skyhawk looks class. :)

Concerning the decals, I was just on Hannants seeing what else they had, and if anything else took my fancy. However, I saw they had 10+ of your decal sheet, so if you do (hopefully not) screw it up. You now have a new source for a replacement, should you require it. Just thought you'd might wanna know?

Looking forward to this :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Hi Dazz, I think the decals will be the least of my problems, plus I have a clever backup plan for them!

I haven't gotten very far at all with this due to other builds in progress.

As mentioned earlier this model requires lots of prer work and cleaning up before you can veven get started.

There's lots of flash and mould joins that need to be cleaned up, plus the positioning of the mould plugs!!!!! There's a special place in hell for the person who decided where they were to be positioned! Other limited run models I have built they seem to take care in the positioning of these!

Anyway I've started on the intakes. it took quite a bit of time to get the joins right so that everything fitted correctly, but it looks to have been worth it. The intake internal joins are really good any will only require filling with two small pieces of stretched sprue, so I sound have nice smooth intakes.

Plus I have started to join up the main interior components, which again required quite a bit more cleaning up to achieve nice clean joins. The side walls have a quilted fabric lining which is not present on this model, so I started to do that as well. Not the greatest until I realised that they needed to be finer so I will have a good chance to improve the “quilting”.

Everything has pretty much been test fitted and cleaned up as required to achieve a nice clean fit, though I noticed that the tail trailing edge is way too thick when the fuselage is jointed together so that required a bit of elbow grease to sort out. The tail mod will be done once the fuselage is together as it will make the profiling easier.

Unfortunately I have started my new work project (job) and will be very time limited to all my builds, so this one will be puts off until late October or November. Though time permitting I’ll try to do the odd little bit where I can.

• 1 month later...

Hi guy's, it's been sometime since I've updated this.

Well unfortunately with my new work schedule/project I now get to spend very little time at home, barely 5 days a month.

So with that I'm afraid I'm going to have to abandon this build.

Even though I wanted to this build to be "fun" I just don't have the time to do this the justice it deserves.

Hopefully I'll get back to it earlish next year and will run it in the WIP section, but it will be completed!

Good luck to everyone else with your builds.