Airfix 1/72 A-4B Skyhawk VA-95 "Green Lizards" - Completed

Got a few decals on tonight, annoyingly they are slightly different sizes to the markings on the museum exhibit so I've had to go down the "artistic licence" route :D

Please excuse the very grainy photo, had to put my tablet camera on night mode because taking it with flash was causing whiteout.

GHF8JXw.jpg?1

I spent most of yesterday working on another project but I painted a few details and got the intake decals on. The intake decals are the only disappointing part of the kit, they're cut straight so curve the wrong way when on and are also too short. Come on Airfix, It can't be that hard to work out the correct shape and length! (Here's a hint, longer and curved forward.)

Today I took the canopy back off today so I could apply the black anti-glare decal. I had to cut a section out because of the probe being in the way but I touched it up with a little paint. I also spent some time painting more detail part and added a tail navigation light. I'll spend some time making the windscreen wiper tonight and might glue the canopy back on properly.

WcbqlRm.jpg

oOP4kED.jpg

• Like 2

It's just hand painted, I use a fine but longish brush to do almost all my detail work. It's almost like pinstriping in miniature, and I've had lots of practice detailing my 1/144 & 1/200 stuff. For comparison the photo below shows a cocktail stick, the brush I used (no markings so I've no idea what make or size it is) and a Revell Painta Luxus, size 5/0. The bristles are about twice the length of the Revell detail brush which makes it far easier to draw the paint out along an edge, I even used it to do the tires :)

oP8mIBO.jpg

Reattached the canopy last night but held off making the wiper until I had daylight to do it in, plus I was having fun with PE for the first time on another build :) This morning I assembled all the parts with no real difficulties, I've left the canopy masking on because I'm still not sure what finish I want. Looking at photos of it in the museum it's very clean so I won't be doing a major wash but I will be doing a little oil and dirt on the undercarriage and in the bays. I was going to give it a coat of Tamiya satin varnish but I think that might dull it too much so I'm probably going to do a final coat of Humbrol Clear. So, nearly there with the aircraft but I might make a base to match the exhibit setting.

8CTpyfH.jpg

Iuh6jeZ.jpg

xz3vvJw.jpg

1zi3gHJ.jpg

I attached the wiper a few days ago but I've been working on my Arado for obsolete kit group build (shameless plug :D) since then. Last night I made a "remove before flight" tag out of kitchen foil for the gear strut brace and attached it with one of my hairs as the wire. Have you ever tried to get super glue on a single strand of hair? Not easy I can tell you! Just had to keep stabbing it in and out of a drop of glue until it started building up on the end. :wall:

I've decided to do go with the Humbrol Clear final coat, the exhibit has quite a nice sheen to it so I'm inclined to match that as I've tried to match everything else. I'll be working on the undercarriage weathering tonight so hopefully I'll get the Clear on tomorrow. A few nice photos and it'll be finished.

OW7EwQc.jpg

MYg4HOP.jpg

And I'm done! :D Last few details were done last night and this morning, mainly involved the oil, dirt and rust marks on the gear and around the centreline pylon. These were done with oils and I did a dark reddish brown wash around the main gear tyres because the tyres on the exhibit are semi-gloss black on the sides but look to have discoloured badly around the tread. This morning I used an orangey brown pastel to give the tyres a bit of depth to the effect, once that was done, I gave it a final coat of Humbrol Clear.

Hope you all enjoyed the build, I've had lots of fun building it. :)

P.S. Is this the first time someone's built a model of an aircraft as the museum exhibit and not the operational version?? It's OK, I know I'm weird... :mental:

More photos in the gallery

B5WBBc0.jpg

QGeVoaU.jpg

snrU2SV.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Speedman,

Love it!

By the way, I'm the Curator of Aircraft at Intrepid and I made our A-4 available to the folks at Airfix for their detailed measurements. It was all new patterns and molds. I have this kit sitting on my shelf waiting to be built. I hope the Airfix guys come back over and do another one of my airplanes.

Let me know if you ever travel to NYC.

Eric