Radio Set - 1:35 Legend Productions

Mike

Radio Set
1:35 Legend Productions

boxtop.jpg

This WWII radio set was commonly found in the back of a Willy's Jeep for comms with other units or HQ, and is often overlooked when building a Jeep. This set will provide parts for you to build two such radio sets, but remember to check your references, as there are a few types out there.

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

The set arrives in Legend's usual small card box, and inside is a bag of sixteen resin parts on seven casting blocks. Another bag contains a small Photo-Etch (PE) sheet, a bundle of copper wire, two lengths of brass wire and a rubberised tube. A small two-sided instruction sheet shows how to build the radios up, which starts with the assembly of the PE mounting bracket. The radio is a highly detailed single casting to which protective cages are added at the front to keep the knobs and dials safe from clumsy handling. A PE hook for the headset, which has a PE strap and resin ear "cans" is supplied, and the copper wire is wound round a thicker wire to portray the coiled wire that links the headset to the box. A pair of handheld Walkie-Talkies (a silly name if you think about it) are also included, and an aerial mount with PE base is supplied for attachment to the vehicle. Another pair of radio boxes in suitcase-type enclosures are supplied on the same blocks as the radios, but I'm not entirely sure of their function. I do know a comms guru however, and will update the review if he can shed anymore light on the subject. The final items are a pair of flat rectangular parts that are covered in two rows of eight raised dots. I can find no mention of them in the instructions, but I suspect that they are there to represent knobs, bolts or rivets that are seen on the PE mounting bracket, the cans on the headsets and possibly more that I haven't spotted. You'll need to cut them off the blocks with extreme care, but there are plenty provided, so you can afford to lose a few.

Conclusion
A little light on explanation of what the sets are/were used for in the real world, but a highly detailed replica with all the parts needed to complete the job supplied, even down to the wire to connect the various parts to a source of power.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg