A Big Cat - HMS Tiger in 1/350

A bit late in starting this one. I'm building the Kombrig 1/350 scale battlecruiser HMS Tiger.

First off I prime the hull.

HMSTIGER_zpsa11df4db.jpg

Then it's a slap of paint on the hull. I'm doing my Tiger as an early war version with light grey hull with a dark grey panel. I used WEM's First World War naval paints, with a good shake of the tin they brush on very nicely.

DSCF0002_zps0f649694.jpg

Port.

DSCF0005_zpsc7889269.jpg

Starboard

So far its been great fun with a very nice kit, the next update will be Saturday.

Richard

Edited by Richard G
  • Like 1

Thanks Enzo, a bit more progress today.

Rich2_zps6c0de573.jpg

Rich1_zps139eadf2.jpg

The cutting mat gives a good idea of size, HMS Tiger was just over 700ft long making the model 24inches in length.

Artwox Wooden Decks have been fitted, went on without to much bother, just have to make sure they don't rise up anywhere. I have been preparing and painting various deck fittings, hatches and the secondary guns which I'll fit tomorrow together with the anchors and chain. I hope also to have fitted the hull to its base as well ready for the ocean.

Richard

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Oh WOW! Give the man ten out of ten for taste!

I really never thought we'd see the most beautiful ship in WW1 in this GB, but you've proved me wrong. Great start, and keep it up!

Thank Phil, I don't know if I can do it true justice, but if I have fun trying then that's the main thing - right?.

Richard

Edited by Richard G

Right, been a bit slack recently but moved on this weekend and got the sea done,and a bit more work on the hull as well.

A side view first off

Sep74_zps8134d943.jpg

Then a couple of overhead shots, from the stern first of all.

Sep73_zpsd1abd40d.jpg

Sep71_zpsc2303c3d.jpgAnd then the bow.

The white patch on the lower bridge structure is where I had to replace some damage, irritating and will require a bit more work on it.

The 6inch guns have been fitted as well as the anchor chains, I replaced the kits anchors with cast metal ones from "John R Haynes" as they look far better then the resin kit ones, they have a more solid look to them which I really like (And yes they will be painted soon). The gun turrets are there just for the look of the thing, they will probably be one of the last bits done.

Quick bit on the base, I wrapped the hull in cling-film and glued it to a hunk of wood. I then used modelling clay to surround the hull and let it harden. Then using fine polyfilla I created the rest of the sea which I painted with a mixture of blue and green acrylics and foam/snow in a pot for the white bits. The whole sea was then covered with Vallejo transparent water to give it a wet look. Only my second attempt as a sea base in this scale so I'm please with how it came out.

I have started the bridge now but a bit of planning on the next steps is required as the bridge, funnels and the searchlight platform between the first and second funnels could conspire to get in the way of clumsy fingers. Let hope they don't.

Finally a couple more views of the hull from bow and stern but from a lower down perspective that I feel really shows off the hulls lines.

Next update will be probably be next weekend with progress as mentioned above.

Richard :bye:

Sep79_zps78f75570.jpg

Sep77_zpsdac1bac6.jpg

• Like 2

Any chance of showing a close up of the anchor chains? I've been looking for good chains some time.

No problem Magnus here you go

DSCF00021_zps2a6fa450.jpg

DSCF00041_zpsfca52671.jpg

Hope that's alright for you. I can't remember where I got the chain from but any model railway chain should do. For 1/350 scale I went with chain that had 15 links per inch.

Richard

Edited by Richard G
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right, on with the build. The main bridge levels are now fitted. I have come to the view that while a tripod masted bridge looks a lot better than the later "tower" bridges they are a real pain to put together in kit form, this put up a real fight but I got there in the end. The stacks are now in place and really add to the look of it, still some work to go on them which I'll be doing this week.

DSCF0007_zpsc76033f5.jpg

DSCF0003_zps83890125.jpg

DSCF00044_zps9cace9b7.jpg

Next update this weekend

Richard

• Like 2

That's looking gorgeous! Top work with the sea bases, very convincing.

Hearing about your struggles with the bridgework reminds me of bulding the Airfix Hood and Repulse when I was a child-your results are far better and less wonky however!

Looking very nice indeed and very neat and clean as well, I'm keeping an eye on this to see how a 350 Combrig kit goes together compared to a 700 Combrig. Keep up the good work

Cheer Callum

First of all massive apologies for the lack of update, sadly we had a death in the family last week which put a dampener on things but I hope to have a proper update tomorrow or Monday.

Callum, I have found it goes together very well indeed, the only problem with the fit so far is the stern walk which bares little resemblance to the hull it is supposed to join to and will require work to make it fit. As for the rest of it the resin parts are excellent and the photo-etch is acceptable. As I said before I don't like building any of these multi-platformed bridges very much because of the difficulty in lining up the platforms with the supporting legs when its all flat joins, it's a real p.i.t.a to be sure.

The only downer I have with the kit is the lack of railings and the lack of masts and booms which you have to make yourself, for the price they really should be included.

All the best

Richard :bye:

Lovely so far Richard, how are the Combrig kits by the way; have been flirting with buying a few as they really appeal to me!

Pete