Shorts C23-A Sherpa Scratchbuild finished (who said "at last"?)

I have decided to declare this one finished and am fairly happy with how it came out.

I have been planning to build a Sherpa since I built one back in the eighties (which was so poor I have almost forgotten how bad it was ) :(

If I had been able to find an Aeroclub one I would have built that instead... Funny old world innit

All the Aeroclub ones I tracked down had been stored in Fort Knox style vaults and the owners wanted the rent back before parting with them

So I tracked down the Aviation News plans, bought copious numbers of various thickness plasticard.

Several assorted types of glue and a weeks production of Swann Morton products

And got it on with help from Bombardier Shorts in Belfast via email

The Protracted build has been lurking in WIP for many aeons but at last here is something like a Sherpa

If I do anything else to it I expect I'll break it ;)

donework003_zps8c9656f9.jpg

During the planning I found that Shorts "take" on USAF European 1 camouflage scheme used different greens to the American based producers. They still used the ubiquitous Gunship Grey 36118 but the darker of the greens which should have been 34092 seems closer in hue to 34052 Marine Corps Green. I had hundreds of photos confirming the colour changes and a which showed that the USAF were not worried about using the "proper" green as in service touch in colouring

See various places on the above picture :)

donework004_zps71953648.jpg

I used good old MIcrosoft Word to produce the lettering after adding Amarrillo to the font bank on my computer and using word too I was able to introduce the stencilling for doors and emergency escape hatches. I made large enough to play with images in Paint Shop Pro then reduced them to size in Word, simples.

donework005_zpsb87e4e07.jpg

I just showed the rear end. 'cos I like it :)

The weathering has been applied with a light dusting of artists pastels, which I may yet reduce, I am not a fan of over weathered aeroplanes. In service they stay fairly clean except for "foot wear" areas like, on Sherpa, the cabin roof where the fuel tanks are filled etcetera. Tell me please, shall I take some of it away for reality?

donework009_zps340e3d65.jpg

Tie downs and RBF flags have been added where they show on my photographs, al better view perhaps

donework010_zpsd8aeaefd.jpg

This view into the cargo hold shows the soundproofing quilting, the loading winch and on the door the Elsan and one of the many dinghy packs that USAF Sherpas carried because they were often enough popping across the North Sea to UK US bases.

Also visible, spare crew seating and the back of the flight engineer's seat (just)donework015_zpsea8dac74.jpg

I hope you like it, it's been fun at times, also been a drag other times but that isnt the Sherpa's fault more mine for biting off more than...

Last one, sorry if this is disjointed. Probably wont be scratch-ing any more now

The itch is satisfied

donework018_zpsabeffd14.jpg

err that's all folks..

bill

Edited by perdu
  • Like 5

Congrats on the victory! Only the third one I've ever seen finished.

There should be a Medal of Modelling for besting really tough kits. :thumbsup:

This is even better, as I think you may be thinking this is the Aeroclub kit, but its scratch built

• Like 1

I have decided to declare this one finished and am fairly happy with how it came out.

bill

"fairly happy" Bill? That man's standards is just too high. Proper model making that woz.

She'd look great if she was a shake and bake. She looks awesome when you know she's scratched.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, the support along the way was what helped me finish it.

b

(ps, any ideas on the weathering? I really am open for advice here)

May be scale back the weathering on the wings, but apart from that it looks great

• Like 1

May be scale back the weathering on the wings, but apart from that it looks great

Yeah, looking at this I think you are right

At first sight I thought it was 'weatherwash' but on reflection, that seems to be it.

Reflection of sunlight

showgimagecropphp_zpsa6fb54ad.jpg

I'll clean her off a tad, I know that model-wise some weathering is more believable than none, though I may darken the leading edge deicer stripes a tad too

Thanks again mate reckon you just saved the day

b

Well done, takes me back to the Mildenhall airshows. Late May and the first proper show of the season and a chance to spend some money at the ED Models tent.

Ah yes, would that we could still visit Ed at his shop or mobile emporium. :(

Losing ED Models spelt the end of my old world in fact, I'd given modelling a miss for a year or two then suddenly the shop was gone.

Thanks for the "well done", Neil you too mate. Melchie, I might build a model from its box next, just to see if I can remember how

I do have a pretty little Airfix new moulding Gnat that may repay careful painting (and fillering and glueing and...)

Edited by perdu